Mackie fader question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Mackie fader question

Post by psinglet » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 am

I have a Mackie 24-8 that has two input channels faders malfunctioning. Turning them up slightly (-80 or so) causes them to go to almost full volume. I have tried cleaning them to no avail. I need to order a couple of faders from Mackie and replace them, but I'm in a time crunch to get this done. I have a Mackie Ultrapilot lying around that I could cannabalize faders from until I get replacements in.

So my question is: Does anyone know whether the faders in the Ultrapilot are the same part as the channel faders on the 8-bus? OR, any other guerilla ideas that may get these faders working again?

Thanks in advance!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:06 am

If they're the same faders they were using 15 years back, they're Panasonic. You can get them from Digikey, and have them overnighted.

Get a couple of spare faders while you're at it.

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Digikey and they can't help me without a part number. I contacted Mackie and got a reply saying that they are backed up on email for at least a week.

Does anyone out there have a part number for these faders so I can order them?

Thanks!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 am

Have you opened up the board and looked for any numbers printed on the faders?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Take the board apart and remove a fader. Measure the total resistance, and determine if it's linear or log taper.

Then use Digikey's website to find the Panasonic faders that match those specs. It'll let you download a datasheet so you can confirm the taper, mechanical details, etc.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 pm

The Scum wrote:Take the board apart and remove a fader. Measure the total resistance, and determine if it's linear or log taper.

Then use Digikey's website to find the Panasonic faders that match those specs. It'll let you download a datasheet so you can confirm the taper, mechanical details, etc.
The Mackie faders are a custom taper. You might come close with a catalog Panasonic part but it won't be identical.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."