Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

The quest for delay

Post by mwerden » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:52 pm

What I'm looking for is a cheaper alternative to a Diamond Memory Lane 2:

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/memorylane_2.html

I want one delay for longer, pad type delay and then a separate delay for a quick slap. I want a tap to be available for the long delay, not necessary on the slap.

One alternative I was thinking about is to get an MXR carbon copy for the slap and then another for longer delays. Ultimately I'd love to keep it all on one pedal, anybody know of something other than the Diamond?
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Re: The quest for delay

Post by metanoiastudios » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Not as cheap as an MXR carbon copy, but you should be able to do this with a Pigtronix Echolution. It's got TONS of features, and it has two delays: a modulation delay, and a tap tempo delay. It sounds great!

...oh, and did I mention I'm selling one?? :wink: :wink: :wink:
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:43 am

I'm pretty sure these 3 will give you what you're after...

Analog Man ARDX20
Line 6 DL4
Empress Superdelay

Given the reputation of Analog Man, I bet that pedal sounds amazing. I've heard some of his other stuff, and it's always sick.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 am

there are a few that do this specifically. Check on the harmony central forums for some of them -- one is http://www.amazon.com/BBE-TWO-TIMER-Ana ... B0019NKIXQ -- $100
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 am

this one seems really cool too -- more features, 2x price -- http://www.retroman-music.com/kopykat.htm

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks for all the tips everyone. The empress pedal seems cool, but I think it'll still be cheaper to go the 2 pedal route. Likewise with the Pigtronix. The Analog Man, Kopykat and the BBE pedal don't have a tap function, and I hate those Line 6 pedals quite a bit.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips. I guess I'll be looking for a good tap delay, preferably analog. I don't really need all the bells and whistles.
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Thank you for this thread, time after time I'm having a similar issue or need that someone else starts a thread for and I find answers and avenues galore on this board.

I sometimes use two or three delays at a time and always wanted them in one box. Problem solved. I'm buying, as soon as they're back in stock, one of those new Analogman delays: expression pedal for feedback, and a wet only output. I love Analogman's stuff. Maybe get one of those BBE's too.

Right now I use:

Maxon 999: not so good for short delay, great for the long ones.
Analogman: AR20DLX, awesome all around, esp. regen sound effects.
Deluxe Memory Man: The best ever
Behringer Echo Machine: Cheapest quality and sound possible, tons of lofi fun.
Boss RV3: Very Digital sounding reverb and delay but still gets a lot of use.
EHX 2880: 4trk loop heaven.
Boss 20XL: Easy compact looper, not as fun as 2880, some noise issues when used with lots of other pedals and kinda sterilizing effect on dry sound??

Why would I buy another delay? Cuz I'm stupid for delays.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Delay is probably my favorite effect on guitar. I have played many different types of delay pedals, and I have settled on the Boss DD-20 for my main delay pedal. I really really really like it. It is worth the price for the "analog delay" sound alone. You can get a killer slap back sound aswell. Those two sounds are what I use it for the most. You can have a delay spaced out for 23 seconds in between each delayed sound (if that made sense). That is cool for doing loops that you want to fade away eventually (and I want that sometimes). You can save 4 different presets of delay sounds you have tweeked and like. It's made by Boss so it will probably last til I die. Go to your local music store, or guitar center or somewhere and play on one. I think you'll like it.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Don't forget about EHX's new pedals:
Memory Boy

Memory Toy

Both dirt cheap, too. :D
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:03 pm

i agree on the 2 or more delay pedals. i just added a dd7 to my line 6 -- use a basic tape echo, looper and reverse. so much easier and cheaper than finding a 1 pedal solution.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am

I love the Ibanez AD9. And the SIB Mr. Echo is pretty cool too.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 am

Hey Matt,

the carbon copy sounds great and is pretty damn cheap. However finding an analogue delay with tap tempo and long delay times is gonna cost you. A lot.

For a cheap long digital delay that sounds good and has tap I'd suggest the Line 6 Echo Park. It doesn't take up too much board real estate and it's really good. Plus, it was the only delay pedal Marc Ribot brought the last two times I worked with him. (Scratch that, i think he had a memory man too that he didn't use...)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:08 am

For the black keys stuff I have been working on for a while... dan used that line 6 thingy quite a bit also.
Ribot always got good sounds out of it.
It is like the least cool looking and totally bad ass pedal out there right now... it might have the widest ratio of ANY pedal as far as looks/sound.

looks completely lame.
Sounds completely awesome. Really.

It wont make you cray as much as when someone dumps a beer in your echoplex.
I have the echolution, which I like a lot and use a lot.. we used that on this black keys thingy as well, but the line 6 was the surprise pedal. that and the hummingbird.... (you saw that thing when I was at your spot with RZA, right?, the reverse engineered percussion repeat pedal? )

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 am

Hmm, I don't think I noticed that Hummingbird pedal when you were here. I'll have to check out the Line6, I've been avoiding their stuff because I really don't like the DL4 very much. It's totally gross looking too, so that doesn't help. I guess it's worth checking out, that Marc Ribot guy seems like he might know a thing or two.
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Ok you can't just drop in something about the RZA and not tell us more...