What Did You Work on Today? 8-29-09

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work on Today? 8-29-09

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 am

Sorry I haven't done one of these in a while. What did you all work on today, Saturday, August 29th 2009?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: What Did You Work on Today? 8-29-09

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 am

cgarges wrote:Sorry I haven't done one of these in a while. What did you all work on today, Saturday, August 29th 2009?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
My tan.

Now, seriously... helping a friend get his PT rig up to version 8.

Then, to the circus with my kids and wife.

Yay!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 am

got up at 10am, and from 10:30-12:30 mastered my friends acid techno track. 1 version with analogue only processing (chandler germ comps), one with the analogue plus some digital limiting and eq (the "club friendly" over limited version).

later in the day was working on my own techno track, specifically getting the drums to sound right.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 am

Chasing the last few bugs out of a studio install (the patchbay layout didn't match the edac connections mapped out in the manual) and then starting work on an Afrobeat inspired indie rock record. Oh, and in between jobs I'm trying to go see Bowie's kid's movie Moon.
It's a busy day.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 am

Powering up to spend the day finishing mixes from my friend's 4-track record. Brought everything in a few weeks ago at 96K and have been mixing and editing it in Digital Performer. We'll also be re-recording vocals for two of the 16 songs over here today, and then once the mixes are approved this thing is done.

Third record I've worked on this month.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:18 am

Finished a repair job on a Hammond DR20 tone cabinet. Bad power tubes took out rectifier. Its a BCV from 1937, got to add some fuses, been putting it off and it dang near cost me a power tranny.

Put a bit more description/pics on my website for the JBL 5306 mods I did. (Had a couple of emails from some other folks wanting details)

http://beyondsanityproductions.com/inde ... &Itemid=28

Trying to finish up 2 videos from a series we have been working on for my sons band (From their "Black Dawn" album) Most are on thier YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/intothevoidtheband

Mowed/weed eat my back yard... Until it started raining on me
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 am

1. Wrote 3 letters of recommendation, 2 for students, 1 in support of someone's cool grant application to recover early recordings.
2. Fixed bizarre autotuned flute problem (I know, I know, but you asked) in a song.
3. Began reconstructing an unfinished mix from 2004 that was done in OS9, for which I no longer have the plugins and settings, but one rough bounce to go from.
4. Will soon take spouse out to lunch of her own choosing.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Putting clear coats on a guitar I'm painting. It's my first time doing this and I hope I don't fuck it up too badly.

Also maybe putting together some sound effects for a production of "Evil Dead: The Musical" that I'm sound-designing.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Delivered the new (and only) Eagle To Squirrel Variety Hour album to ME. And installed an Apple Time Capsule for Mrs. superaction's MacBook and in the process upgraded our wireless network and added wireless printing to our lives, all in one box.
Prog out with your cog out.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:53 pm

dwlb wrote: Also maybe putting together some sound effects for a production of "Evil Dead: The Musical" that I'm sound-designing.
:D :^:
Prog out with your cog out.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Did a few hours of vocal overdubs down at the bunker for a regular client. Sitting on the couch at home now while the mrs. does some work on the computer. One of our cats is all up in my shit for some attention.

Might make an espresso.

I want Indian food and copious amounts of lager.

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:49 pm

off to an extremely unsexy "pay da bills!" solo gig :) nice peeps and good food though!

also, booked a record to be done at another room, and a sweet one at that. first time. psyched.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Sang the same line over and over and over again--when I finally went to throw out the bum takes, I counted 73 of them. The line is "Remove the mines," and I am still not happy with it. I'm going to have to stop now, though, and accept semi-defeat.

Then I remixed this one song which I just cannot get to sound as forceful as the others on my album, even though it is the most "rock" of all of them. I have ended up backing off on the limiting a little and boosting the electric guitars, snare, and vocals, but I'm still not totally happy.

Then I worked on the album cover, plus this banner ad that I'm going to put on my website when the thing comes out.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:03 pm

I bought a Radial X-Amp last week and Im discovering the joys of reamping. Now only if I could crank my amps just a little louder.... haha.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 pm

oh man. lets see.

edited music for a newly commissioned ballet

getting equipment together and doing paperwork for the sound reinforcement needs of a giant wankfest venue grandopening thingy that features 10 different performing arts groups here in town that i got stuck doing. also have to edit music for this too. will sleep whe the show's done in two weeks...

unpacked the free loaner backline gear (for the previously mentioned event) to make sure all is well, which the guitar and bass amps are great but the 5pc drum kit.... was completely out of tune (not a problem, i expected to have to work on it once i got the gear) but the reason why one of the rack toms was out of tune is that it was missing a lug (not a huge problem i got some extra lugs) and the weird proprietary yamaha stage custom nouveau fiberglass lug assembly thing (oh fuck, there's the problem, and a big problem at that) which i can't get in any stores here off the shelf, and the dude who provided the drums was like, "oh yeah we forgot to mention that, yamaha said they were sending the part we just haven't got it yet, just take the reso head off completely" right, that ain't gonna do it for this one music store guy, but thanks... ...well four piece kit it is then! hope no one minds. so long story long i am randomly getting paid to be a drum tech (and i am so not a drum tech)

continuing the backing up and reloading of windows process of my main recording computer, it's just that time, mainly because the computer was originally an internet/itunes/videogames/recording/do everything computer and is just bogged down with years of useless crap.... then i can get back to my ongoing/upcoming solo album and other music projects.

so yeah busy day/weekend, but at least it is book ended with some really good live shows. ridiculously awesome brass band last night and some beautiful low key folk tomorrow. funny how music always makes everything worth while.

and you Garges?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com