What Did You Work on Today? 8-29-09

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:28 pm

and now i really also want copious amounts of lager, want to see evil dead the musical and dig that cover art.

cheers,
-dave
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:23 pm

dave watkins wrote:and you Garges?
Started work on stage two of the next Public Good record. We have three days booked to track two tunes and we're almost done with them today (on day one!). We'll be cutting vocals on one of the tunes tomorrow (simple-- one lead and one harmony part) and then re-cutting one guitar on this instrumental we're doing. I'll also add some percussion to both tunes. We'll probably dive into another song that they recorded a while back, but never officially released and then get into doing an overdub or two on the first batch of songs we cut. We might even get into mixing some of this stuff on Monday, which would be great. I'm really happy with the sounds and the performances today. This is gonna be a terrific record.

No copious amounts of lager, but I did have a Guiness at dinner.

I got a flat tire on the way home from the studio, though, which was a big bummer. I hate having to get out the spare with a trunk full of drums.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 am

Installed Logic 9 and geeked out until the early morn.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 am

8/29 was "fire up the soldering iron and fix the broken stuff" day.

mostly successful.

i also went out and bought myself some clothes for a 3 week trip to Malaysia where it's frequently 100% humidity and very hot.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 am

Con't from earlier-
Tried to program sounds on my Triton LE for an upcoming gig with a Devo tribute band. About 75% successful.
Prog out with your cog out.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Finished up some demo music cues for a feature length film I'm trying to land. I've been obsessing over the music for a solid week now. I really would like to impress these folks and I think the stuff I'm sending them is really good, but I think I've hit the point where, until I hear back from them with notes on what they'd like different, anything else I do will be based on paranoid insecurity, which is always bad. So, I just bounced the tracks and emailed them out. Fingers crossed.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Downloading and listening to refs of a V2 from mastering of the Black Keys record I had been working on for a while. FInished the mixes and sent them off to Brian Gardner. Stuff is sounding really fun to me. its called "blackroc" and it features people like Mos Def and RZA and Q-tip and a ton of others.... its gonna be a really cool record. Produced by Me, dan and pat (black keys) engineered and mixed by me.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm

mixed 2 songs for a dance rock band.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm

Spent the day assisting Phil Ek on the new Shout Out Louds record. For fans of Swedish indie-pop it's going to be a must-have album. First full length they've done in over 3 years so they're really excited to be working on it. Assisting Phil is always fun too. Consummate professional and all around nice dude. While Shout Out Louds backup was running that night I started mixing some tracks my band just finished recording. Rode my motorcycle home and was almost merged into by two assholes who didn't bother to look before changing lanes.

-Doc

2leftears
pluggin' in mics

Post by 2leftears » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:42 pm

My MAC Pro has been in the shop for a week and a half. I am ready to eat a bullet. I can not do much. Thank God for my Zoom h4n and my piano, (Yamaha C3), and my Hammond A-101.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Started work on the first "full length" I've recorded. 12 songs for a pop punk/power pop band. Just wrapped a 6 hour session, mostly setup and we got drum and scratch guitar tracks done for the first 3 songs. It took a lot less time to get all the drum sounds going than usual, since I'm already familiar with the band and I've worked with their drummer before. So I had a lot planned out in my head (and on paper) before we started. I didn't expect to actually get anything recorded tonight, so it takes a little pressure off the schedule for the next two days to get all the drums done.