Death metal / black metal

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 am

Boss Heavy Metal 2 (HM-2) pedal fucking rules. Entombed!

Also can be used for a cool shoe gazer sound.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:14 pm

mcsquishytooshy wrote:LOLZ AC/DC COVER BAND.

I've been going crazy with guitar pedals after getting a Heavy Metal pedal (for that no-brainer Sunlight Studio sound) for $45. The DOD Grind pedal logo looks exactly like the Earache records font.

Trodden, did you like the Auto-Tune effect like Cynic does their sung vocals?
I've not hear Cynic!

mojobone
audio school graduate

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:24 am

trodden wrote:
i'm hoping the keyboard thing was a joke as well... to seriously say a certain instrument DOESN"T belong in any type of music is stupid.
That is SO wrong! There are NO OBOES in Black Metal!

But a bass clarinet would be pretty sweet. :wink:

I'm kidding, of course. I quite enjoyed the article, and thought it a fine introduction for engineers schooled in other styles. :lol:
The blues ain't got no dental plan

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 am

I liked being told that I cannot record DM or BM because I do not listen to that kind of thing. When in fact I am currently finishing up a 3 song demo of DM. Isn't it my job to realize what the artist wants it to sound like? I don't know think I need to like that sort of thing to do a good job.
Peace,
Kevin
Last edited by Sculli on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:00 am

The truth is, when presented with better sounding options, many of the young people who are into this kind of music would prefer that their records NOT sound exactly like all of the other shitty sounding metal records out there...

We didn't end up with shitty sounding, triggered drums because that's the ONLY way for fast double-kick stuff to be heard. We ended up with it because that's the EASIEST way for that stuff to be heard. And, we ended up with it because people who don't have the creativity to come up with a better sound, prefer to make it "sound the same" as everything else in the genre. Boring.

Fuck the "rules".

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 am

subatomic pieces wrote:The truth is, when presented with better sounding options, many of the young people who are into this kind of music would prefer that their records NOT sound exactly like all of the other shitty sounding metal records out there...

We didn't end up with shitty sounding, triggered drums because that's the ONLY way for fast double-kick stuff to be heard. We ended up with it because that's the EASIEST way for that stuff to be heard. And, we ended up with it because people who don't have the creativity to come up with a better sound, prefer to make it "sound the same" as everything else in the genre. Boring.

Fuck the "rules".
As a young musician who plays in a relatively "extreme" metal band but has virtually stopped listening to new death metal because of how it sounds, let me give all of this a huge +1.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits