I'm now SM57 free!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:57 am

cgarges wrote:Congratulations, Tony! I, personally, have been SM57-free all of my life. I know it's a difficult world out there with peer pressure and the temptation to find a quick and easy fix, but you'll be glad you got on the wagon from this point on. Best of luck to you!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
And that, my friend, is why you are my hero!
mjau wrote:Tony, you need help. Let me send you a 57 to help you properly record. From one friend to another.
With friends like you....
cgarges wrote:Don't be an enabler, Scott.
BWAHAHAHAHAH!
joninc wrote:no 57's ??? then how do you guys record snare drum??
With mics that actually sound good
losthighway wrote:Is there a m201, or a revox or whatever in there, or do you have a vegetarian alternative on your snare?
I have one on loan from Carl Saff :) most recently used on toy piano
Jiters wrote:Was this a 12 step kind of deal, or did you just go cold turkey?
I stopped using them many moons ago. For a while, about once a year I'd try again and would almost always confirm and, yes, I hate that fucking thing.
mjau wrote:I know drumsound's a big fan of the atm23 on snare drums, and the sounds he gets can't be argued with.
That is still my preferred snare mic. I try other things and get good stuff, but that mic really does it for me. And thanks as always for the kind words my friend.
snarl wrote:Any idea what they did to the tracer to make it an amp? I've got mine working, as an amp, but I'd like to mod it more.
I have no idea, ask madtho, he put it on the for sale board and mentioned 57 trades so I took a fly...
Toaster 3000 wrote: And you call yourself an engineer....
No man, I'm a PRODUCER!
Last edited by drumsound on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

Oh SNAP!
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:35 am

drumsound wrote:
mjau wrote:Tony, you need help. Let me send you a 57 to help you properly record. From one friend to another.
With friends like you....
cgarges wrote:Don't be an enabler, Scott.
BWAHAHAHAHAH!
I'm just sayin...first tracks are free, and everyone's doing it.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:57 am

you can never quite get the same sound as the first time, though... just keep trying more and more 57's to get back to that first snare sound...

john

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:02 am

I better buy some 57s. Get enough people leaving them, soon their sound will become 'classic.' Then I can sell them back to you for double their original value. :lol:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 pm

lapsteel wrote:I better buy some 57s. Get enough people leaving them, soon their sound will become 'classic.' Then I can sell them back to you for double their original value. :lol:
If there is any piece of gear I'm never buying (I don't think I paid of r the last 2 either) its an SM57!

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:09 pm

drumsound wrote:
lapsteel wrote:I better buy some 57s. Get enough people leaving them, soon their sound will become 'classic.' Then I can sell them back to you for double their original value. :lol:
If there is any piece of gear I'm never buying (I don't think I paid of r the last 2 either) its an SM57!
Oh you paid for em, every time you set those "Plain Rice Cakes" up and had to then spend five minutes looking for another more suitable mic.

Time is money. :wink:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Oh you paid for em, every time you set those "Plain Rice Cakes" up and had to then spend five minutes looking for another more suitable mic.

I seriously have not plugged in a 57 in many years.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 am

drumsound wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:
drumsound wrote:

I seriously have not plugged in a 57 in many years.
ditto.

indeed, time IS money.

i don't waste either on trying a 57 when better alternatives exist.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 am

you guys need some tshirts. this thread is hilarious.
the new rules : there are no rules

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am

joninc wrote:you guys need some tshirts. this thread is hilarious.
I got a 57 T-Shirt at TapeOpCon a few years back and gave it to my roomie that year GreatMagnet (who never seems to hang here anymore). It burned my hands to hold it, I'm terrified to think what it would have done if I put it on.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:59 am

a few times a year i grab a 57, and it usually sounds ok... once or twice it sounds amazing...

i feel the same way about 414's... they are utility mics.

john

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 am

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 am

i just think it's funny how divisive it is. steve albini seems to have set a precedent on that one...

(i've got friends who do INCREDIBLE recordings with 57s - snares - toms - pianos - acoustic guitars - and what about WILCO's sky blue sky? nearly all 57s on the kit according to the TO article. and what does Tchad Blake love on snare - you got it - a 57! what about a lot of the Califone vocals? 57s !! i have been liking them on congas and acoustic guitar myself. sometimes that mid emphasis is totally perfect. it's a pretty good tom mic too actually)

that and D112's. and TLM103's. oops - i have all of those...

i like to rotate mics out of curiousity. it's fun to try new things. and it seems to me - most things all seem to have their place. (except maybe D6's :lol: :lol: )

BUT - to each his own. or as fletcher would say ....
the new rules : there are no rules

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:34 am

While this thread is pretty funny, god, sounds like a bunch of super jaded fucks. I hate SM57 bashing as much as I hate SM57 loving. it is a mic, it works, it can sound really good on things, or not. move on.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz