I'm now SM57 free!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 pm

drumsound wrote:I got a 57 T-Shirt at TapeOpCon a few years back and gave it to my roomie that year GreatMagnet (who never seems to hang here anymore). It burned my hands to hold it, I'm terrified to think what it would have done if I put it on.
I actually turned that shirt into a horcrux. I also own two actual SM57s which I've also turned into horcruxes. I didn't even need to use any dark magik: I just picked up the microphones and they automatically ripped away little pieces of my soul.

So the good news for me is that to kill me you'd actually have to destroy the SM57s...and we all know how difficult that is to do. The bad news is that I developed lombego as a result and suddenly my nostrils look a little funny.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Woodstock.

Eddie Kramer.

All Shure SM58s.

Which are essentially an SM57 with a pop filter.

Now talk amongst yourselves, ladies...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Caldo71 wrote:
drumsound wrote:I got a 57 T-Shirt at TapeOpCon a few years back and gave it to my roomie that year GreatMagnet (who never seems to hang here anymore). It burned my hands to hold it, I'm terrified to think what it would have done if I put it on.
I actually turned that shirt into a horcrux. I also own two actual SM57s which I've also turned into horcruxes. I didn't even need to use any dark magik: I just picked up the microphones and they automatically ripped away little pieces of my soul.

So the good news for me is that to kill me you'd actually have to destroy the SM57s...and we all know how difficult that is to do. The bad news is that I developed lombego as a result and suddenly my nostrils look a little funny.
OK nerdboy, now that I've googled hororcrux...I can agree that 57s are a thing of dark (read: EVIL) magic.

Any drummer worth their salt can destroy a 57!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 pm

noeqplease wrote:Woodstock.

Eddie Kramer.

All Shure SM58s.

YOu forgot to mention the immense talent in front of the crappy capture devices, somewhat negating the crappy midrangy tone.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:21 pm

drumsound wrote:
noeqplease wrote:Woodstock.

Eddie Kramer.

All Shure SM58s.

You forgot to mention the immense talent in front of the crappy capture devices, somewhat negating the crappy midrangy tone.
This proves that the music and the talent behind it matters more than the equipment. People listening to the movie are "transported" by the images and the lo-fi sound helps get them back to that era, IMO.

However...

I'm talking the recording side of the equation, which is the topic here, when you mentioned not having any more SM57s.

I own one pair, and is part of my arsenal of mics. All told I have about 40 mics, some of which are very expensive, and some which are really cheap. All in order to facilitate getting a sound recorded properly within the context of the music.

My illustration on the Woodstock recordings maintains that even with these low-end mics good things can happen. They did use a Wally Heider truck with Urei 610 preamps going to tape, which helped a lot, and Eddie has great talent.

The Woodstock reissue was remixed by Eddie, and it does sound better than the original movie. I would have loved to have been able to sit in on that remix session.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:48 pm

so you can put a shit mic in front of a good musician and get magic.

so why not use a GREAT mic on a good musician?

*waves giant stirring spoon*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:06 am

Personally I'm alright with 57s. I don't like them on everything and hate them to sing through live. I am with you guys who don't use them on snare. I've been using an Audix D1 on my Rogers Dynasonic snare with great results. The same snare with a 57 is much less open and doesn't take EQ and compression as well. With the 57, I always had to move the snare mic around a lot before I got the sound I wanted. The D1 seems more tolerant of position and gets a great sound quickly and easily. I do still enjoy the sound of 57s on close miked guitar and for toms on my vintage Ludwig kit. It's a classic sound but isn't right for everything. I like 421s for more modern rock drum sounds. The e604s are decent too but not my cup of tea. I like 57s better. I'd love to try a Beyer M201 on snare and see how that compares with the D1 and 57.

Future One
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Future One » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Alright all you 57 haters. What dynamics do you consider to be so much better then?

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 pm

(i am not a hater) but i do LOVE the 441. killer killer killer. super versatile. i could easily do a record with only these.

sm7 is pretty great too as an alternative for guitar amps.

i5 is pretty good too.
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Future One wrote:Alright all you 57 haters. What dynamics do you consider to be so much better then?
M88, Senheiser 411, 421, 441, AKG D19, AKG D224E, EV Re15, Ev 635a, EV 664, EV RE20, SM7.
I could go on and on and on.

Future One
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Future One » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:03 pm

I love my SM7b. For vocals I choose it over condensors most of the time.

Never used a 441 but it's definitely on my shortlist for my next mic purchase...

I'm deciding between:

Beyerdynamic m160

Heil PR35

Sennheiser 441

Anybody using Heil Sound mics?

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Future One wrote:Alright all you 57 haters. What dynamics do you consider to be so much better then?
I'm not so much a hater, as I just don't get the appeal. Other folks have done great things with them.

I love my M88. It just adds a drop of honey to everything. The only place it falls short is I don't like to sing through it live.

Also, I always prefer a condenser for recording vocals.

That said, not too long ago, I had an amp sounding good in the room, but it just wasn't recording with enough snarl or general nastiness. Guess what mic I ended up going with? 57 to tha grill, of course!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Jitters wrote:
I love my M88. It just adds a drop of honey to everything. The only place it falls short is I don't like to sing through it live.

For my voice the M88 is the best live mic ever. It's also my first stop for lots of studio vocals. I'll often swap it out depending on the style and singer but 50-75% of the time it does the job with style.
I'm off the condensors for most singers these days.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:59 pm

junkshop wrote:
Jitters wrote:

For my voice the M88 is the best live mic ever. It's also my first stop for lots of studio vocals. I'll often swap it out depending on the style and singer but 50-75% of the time it does the job with style.
I'm off the condensors for most singers these days.

I like the sound of it, but it's a little hard for me to work. Seems like your voice just falls off the map if you're not right up on it. If I glance at my guitar or pedals or close my eyes and drift off a bit... it's not quite as forgiving as most in that area. Perhaps I should just commit myself to learning to work with it.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:02 am

Aren't these 57 hate threads getting a little tiresome.

I get it, "they suck", and are "only good for hammering in nails".

And yet I've still been able to record some pretty great sounding music with mine.

Go figure.

Sorry... Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Carry on.
joninc wrote:(i am not a hater) but i do LOVE the 441. killer killer killer. super versatile. i could easily do a record with only these.

sm7 is pretty great too as an alternative for guitar amps.

Yes, and yes.

Joninc... he is a smart man.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com