Sorry Luke, I'm going to the dark side. Dark Mic suggestions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:21 am

ott0bot wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I've always wanted a 441, but still don't have the gusto to drop that on 1 mic yet. Really impressed me when I saw it used live on a cello.

Find a used one. I payed $325 for mine a couple years ago, and see them regularly for no more than $400.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Coles 4038 & Oktava ML52 ribbons are both great that fall in this area.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

*cisko*
studio intern

dark mics

Post by *cisko* » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 am

My favorite ones are sm7, 441, and any ribbon really, I am actually surprised with the sound of the fathead!, cheap and great

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually picked up a pair of the KEL mic's today, after some more research. If I don't like them I can send them back, so you can't beat that.

I'm still in the market for the sm7, i missed a few CL posts for a cheap used one, but I'll find one soon enough. I'm also still in the market for a ribbon, and I decided I agree with the save and buy what you want attitude. So the next $900 bucks I can save is going to an AEA r84. I still want to check out a few other suggestions made on this post, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for good deals on those items.

Thanks all.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm

jgimbel wrote:I've got an Oktava MK-319, and when I read the title of this that's the mic that came to mind. Definitely pretty flat, darkish..
Great mic, even unmodded.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:51 pm

InvalidInk wrote:
jgimbel wrote:I've got an Oktava MK-319, and when I read the title of this that's the mic that came to mind. Definitely pretty flat, darkish..
Great mic, even unmodded.
Absolutely. I got mine cheap ($82 on ebay) intending to have Master Joly mod it at some point. I've got a bevy of cheap Chinese mics with the ever-so-wonderful harsh high end, so the 319's a lifesaver. The other day I was tracking some mountain dulcimer, and even an SM57 sounded damn bright on it since it's a bright sounding instrument in general. I closemiced it with the 319, and it sounded perfect. Plus it picked up a really beautiful low-mid range from the bass string of the dulcimer, which is something that's really important when you're playing but is REALLY easy to lose in a recording. The 319 definitely saved the day.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm

I've been eyeing those KEL mics awhile myself. After you get a chance to play around with them, I would love to hear your opinions on them.