Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:08 pm

After I sell my Distressor I'm going to fix up my Ampeg B-15, so I've been scoping out NOS RCA tubes. I've got my eyes on a NOS pair of 7027A and 12AX7 Black Plates, just need to find a nice 12AU7. I got a NOS GE 12DW7 because for some reason that's a hard one to find in my budget if it's an RCA. And I'm not going to try to get any Telefunken or Mullard tubes!

I also need new tolex and grill cloth and a replacement speaker and a recap. It's probably going cost me around $200.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 pm

T-rex wrote:Did you see that Space Echo that went for $445? I would have totally bought that, I didn't even bid cause I thought it would at least go for $600 or so. Some crazy deals going on right now.
$445, damn.. I guess i'm definitely not the only one hurting in the messed up economy. Haven't had to sell any gear yet...

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 am

My Liquid Mix 16 showed up yesterday. Played around with it some and am thus far very impressed
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:48 am

Just scored a Traynor YBA-4 from a garage sale. It was $400, which was a good deal, but not robbery. Sounds amazing on guitars, even at lower volumes. Also kicks ass on bass, which was my primary hope as I need a bass amp in the studio to track with. This looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly.

Also picked up two of the new UAD plugs - Fatso and the EMT 250. Very cool stuff. Both are a little different to work with and their subtle use is still being figured out by me. I find most verbs take me a while to suss out so that I use them with a light touch. The Fatso sounds killer in a way that's hard to describe. The fact that's it's creator is 100% the UAD emulation struck me as a good sign, so I'm excited to finally get to play with one. I can't afford the real deal, so this is a gift.

Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 pm

infiniteposse wrote:Just scored a Traynor YBA-4 from a garage sale. It was $400, which was a good deal, but not robbery. Sounds amazing on guitars, even at lower volumes. Also kicks ass on bass, which was my primary hope as I need a bass amp in the studio to track with. This looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly.

Also picked up two of the new UAD plugs - Fatso and the EMT 250. Very cool stuff. Both are a little different to work with and their subtle use is still being figured out by me. I find most verbs take me a while to suss out so that I use them with a light touch. The Fatso sounds killer in a way that's hard to describe. The fact that's it's creator is 100% the UAD emulation struck me as a good sign, so I'm excited to finally get to play with one. I can't afford the real deal, so this is a gift.

That is a great amp! You should never sell it. Someday those things are going to start selling for what they're actually worth. I've seen that happen to MusicMan amps in the past five years.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Coles 4038
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 pm

you're gonna love it.

(i just got a 2nd this summer).
the new rules : there are no rules

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Just picked up a Yamaha F310 acoustic guitar with case at a yard sale for $20. It's a lower-end Yamaha, but it sounds pretty nice. I'll probably replace the plastic saddle with bone. I've got a bunch of blanks.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:44 pm

got a new pickup for my lap steel.

i'm psyched!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 am

A dbx 163x, and a second ART Pro Channel--Right here on TapeOp! Thanks, Matt!

HUSH systems IICX --not a Rocktron, but an actual Hush. $40. It's busted.

Seems like there was something else, but I forget what it was. Been real busy lately.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:52 am

got a new pickup for my lap steel.
I just got my first lap steel about a month ago. It's just one of the cheap ones but if I can learn to play it, I'll get a better one. I also just got a Kawai EP308 electric baby grand. It has been totally rebuilt and seems really stable and close to in tune. I'm going to get a good piano tuner to come give it a tune-up and then see how it sounds. Best thing is I got it for free. I only had to pay for the help to move it to my studio. It's a beast but it came with a big road case so it was a little easier to move.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Nice score!

I remembered my other thing-- a 10" splash cymbal and a 17" crash from Dream Cymbals. They're made by a family which has made gongs for 300 years... they sent someone to Turkey to find out how Turkish cymbals are made, and started making Turkish-style cymbals in China. They're 100% hand-hammered (even the planchet!), and all the ones I played sounded spectacular. Their "Bliss" and "Vintage Bliss" lines sound dizzyingly like old Turkish Zildjian, or maybe even Bosphorus--stunningly dry. If I was a jazz player I'd be all over these things. Mine are from the "Contact" line, and have a sound every bit as complex and developed as my A Zildjians from the 1960s. The splash is fantastic--everything I liked about my 1960s 6" A splash, only you can hear most of it over the rest of the music (not like with the Zildj, which totally disappeared in the mix).

They do have a touch of that super-flat, thin, "Chinese cymbal" sound to them, but not enough to make them sound bad. In fact, I kind of like it, because they don't sound like a Chinese cymbal that's trying to be Turkish. They sound like what they are--Dream Cymbals. Their crash-rides are spectacular, but I didn't buy one of those. I've still got my '60s A.

But they're cheap! Like, Camber-cheap. I paid under $130 for both cymbals. And the beauty of it is the drum store was giving $1 per inch exchange for cracked B-20 cymbals. So I got like $30 or $40 off that already low price!

I usually try to avoid new Chinese products, because of human rights concerns, ethical concerns, and economic concerns. But I made an exception for these. (For instance, slave labor isn't going to produce super-high-quality hand-hammered cymbals... and as far as I know, it's a family-owned business, which made me feel a little more comfortable. Plus, it was either these or spend the next six months looking for the right $100 used Zildj., and I didn't have the time for that.) I'm really happy with the way they sound & the way they react when I whack them, and I'm probably going to buy more when I have the chance.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:06 pm

got myself a couple decent deals during labor day sales events.

i got an echo park for $100, and am really excited to have tap tempo at my disposal for my live gigs, and can definitely see myself using it to make some space sounds in the studio. can't believe i have been playing for like 15 years and this is my first delay pedal... seems really tragic.

also picked up some discounted drumheads, finally replaced my aging kick head that had about a 1/4" dent where the beater hits, put an emad2 on and am so far pretty stoked with the way it sounds and pretty stoked about the fact that i am not stuffing random shit in my kick drum to dampen it anymore. i've got to experiment with tuning a bit more an then see how it translates for recording, but so far so good...
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:33 am

1 x metric halo 2882 2d
2 x ATM450..
2 x 421 on the way..
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

Lumin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Lumin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 am

got a gefell cmv 563 with m7 & m9 capsules for a pretty nice price. did not come with a shockmount so i need to ask those out there who have this mic without an original shockmount- what do you use?

i got this mic from guitar center of all places. and boy was the manager upset when i showed him the price it was listed for on their website.
i got it for quite a bit less than what they had it for in their system. one of the few times ive been happy after leaving that store.