I'm now SM57 free!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 am

I love my SM7b. For vocals I choose it over condensors most of the time.
I find the SM7b works amazingly well on most vocals. On rock stuff, it's my first choice usually. On more mellow styles, I'll use an LDC more often but the SM7 will still work in those situations too. It's a desert island mic for sure.

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:37 pm

joninc wrote:
RefD wrote:Audix i5?

Neumann KM84?

Nady Starpower 3?

all of those are better choices!
No way! NADY? you are kidding right? audix??? hahahaha - and then you're gonna run it through your behringer tooob preamps? Neumann km84? everybody knows that mics not half as good as the KM184! (atleast for lead vocals). who would ever use that on a snare drum? that's INSANE.

C'mon guys - everyone knows that to make radio-ready, state-of-the-art, industry-standard recordings - you have to use a 57 on the snare.
nothing else handles those sweet frequencies as gracefully.

(and since i am feeling generous i'll tell you a secret industry professionals don't want you to know: you can use ANOTHER 57 UNDER the snare. No - seriously - you gotta try before you knock it. it will BLOW YOUR MIND. BUT - now please hear me - the key is - you have to FLIP the phase of the bottom mic. but hey - you didn't hear this from me!!!)
I hope every word of this was a joke. km84 is a great choice. not all music even requires a mic on the snare. but when you have a drummer that is absolutely going to destroy your snare mic a 57's a great choice to have destroyed. I actually use 57's and 58's all the time for all kinds of stuff most guys(and girls) would put a LDC on simply because i missed them and no one else uses them. the cheap mic de jour is not a 57 anymore, it's an mxl. put an mxl on your snare. tune it low, use 5a's and put your wallet on the head. you'll be ready for joey waronker to come over. cheers

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:42 pm

rpmsongs wrote:
joninc wrote:
RefD wrote:Audix i5?

put an mxl on your snare.
did i just say that? it was a joke. don't. in all honesty my all time favorite is the sm7 for intimate snare stuff, and atm41he for loud rock snare. of course i never ever listen to the snare drum from 2 inches away, so i wouldn't know what that should sound like and rarely mic it that close.

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote: I get it, "they suck", and are "only good for hammering in nails".
I've actually done this

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:42 pm

joninc wrote:no 57's ??? then how do you guys record snare drum??

:)_ :lol: :P :oops: :shock: :lol: :roll:
BEHOLD the Sennheiser 441.

www.ghostsoftheparty.com/music/fire.mp3
- Brad

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:42 pm

rpmsongs wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote: I get it, "they suck", and are "only good for hammering in nails".
I've actually done this
You know you can get an actually hammer that, works a lot better than a microphone for hitting in nails, at Home Depot for a few bucks.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 am

InvalidInk wrote:
rpmsongs wrote:
I've actually done this
You know you can get an actually hammer that, works a lot better than a microphone for hitting in nails, at Home Depot for a few bucks.
And you can get an actual microphone that works a lot better for recording music than an SM57...

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:53 am

man... the fervor surrounding the 57 is amazing. would i be wrong in proclaiming it the most controversial microphone in existence?

i'm going to use one today on the single i'm producing, on snare vent. probably the only place it'll get used. beyer m201 will be on snare top, for sure.

i'm all about living in harmony, man... whoa...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 am

I at least tip my hat to it being the only mic for decades under $100 you could stick right up to a source.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm

drumsound wrote:
InvalidInk wrote:
rpmsongs wrote:
I've actually done this
And you can get an actual microphone that works a lot better for recording music than an SM57...
true, just a little dry humor

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:52 pm

InvalidInk wrote:
drumsound wrote:
InvalidInk wrote:
rpmsongs wrote:
I've actually done this
true, just a little dry humor
I thought I was continuing the humor...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 pm

interweb!

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 am

bradjacob wrote:
joninc wrote:no 57's ??? then how do you guys record snare drum??

:)_ :lol: :P :oops: :shock: :lol: :roll:
BEHOLD the Sennheiser 441.

www.ghostsoftheparty.com/music/fire.mp3
Loved it! What was the snare drum ?
I'm a bad man!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:12 am

I think the anti-sm57 attitude is just a kind of elitism. I mean, in fairness, it's often not the best microphone to use. I seldom use mine any more. Nonetheless, people wouldn't be so hard on it if it wasn't so ubiquitous.

It's much like U2 in that way: hasn't aged well, but still has done some good work. It's hip to hate the sm57/U2 because they have become the Miller Lite of microphones/rock music.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:42 pm

I used one 57 yesterday.

Tony, when you finally come track something here at the bunker, I'm gonna put a 57 on SOMETHING!!!!

Heh. I jest. Maybe.

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/