ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

i'm in

Post by jmligt » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Put me down for one. Sounds like a cool mic. Love the look too.

-Jeff

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Hell yeah!

Post by snoopy23 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:07 am

I love it! I'll take one too. :lol:
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Ok, here's an update, because I know some of you are chomping at the bit...
I should have ten ready within the next few days, and ten more shortly after that.

I've been experimenting a bit with some modern composite materials in place of aluminum for the ribbon, with some success. I'm a little baffled by the results, because while aluminum is the clear winner when speaking into the mic, in front of a guitar amp, the best of the composites I've tried is holding its own. At this point, I think aluminum is still the way to go, but these results are encouraging. I think eventually I'll find something to replace aluminum which will work as well or better and be much more durable. The composite I'm using can stand up to whatever SPL. You can blow on it, tap on it, without damaging it at all. And it's not ridiculously expensive. It's probably not the final answer, but at least it's an arrow in the right direction. It seems to me with just a little R&D investment, any mic company could find a better alternative to aluminum, one that's cheaper and more durable, and doesn't need to be priced high or have a pretentious marketing name.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 pm

ubertar wrote:a pretentious marketing name.

By the way, what ARE you calling this? The Ubermic? The Ribbontar?

Uberribbon?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 am

I'm in!

xyzzy
audio school

Post by xyzzy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 am

I would love to purchase one of these mics if that is in any way feasible.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 am

It's still possible to get in on these... just bear in mind that it'll be a while if you're signing up now. They'll go in order to the folks who signed up first.

I've still got a couple more tests to do with alternative ribbon materials... if one of those works out, that could be another option, for a little extra.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 am

dwlb wrote:
ubertar wrote:a pretentious marketing name.

By the way, what ARE you calling this? The Ubermic? The Ribbontar?

Uberribbon?
I guess you could call them whatever you like. Ubertar ribbon mics? Not the most creative name, I guess, but it works. I'm not planning any big thing with these... it's a "just for a goof" kind of thing. I wasn't expecting quite this level of response. I hope people aren't expecting too much from these-- I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:41 am

I'm pleased to report that after testing about a dozen different alternative ribbon materials, some of which worked better than others (and some didn't work at all) I found one that rivals aluminum in output and tone, and is virtually indestructible. I have no doubt this is not the only solution to the problem, either. The only catch is it would need certain changes in order to be optimized, which would have to be done by the manufacturer. So I'm not going to offer the alternative ribbon material at this time, but I will definitely be looking into having some of this stuff made, which could be retro-fitted into my mics or any other ribbon mics. It's not some rare, esoteric material... it's fairly common, but wasn't around in the heyday of ribbon mics. It's not particularly expensive, either, though getting it made to specific specs in not-so-large quantities might be a problem.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:05 pm

ubertar wrote: it's a "just for a goof" kind of thing. I wasn't expecting quite this level of response. I hope people aren't expecting too much from these-- I don't want anyone to be disappointed.
It's funny you put it that way Paul because I've been finding a lot of mojo in "just for a goof" lately in my latest projects.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Ok-- so, I'll be ready to send ten out tomorrow. My first two requests were prior to this thread, so here is the list of people, with the ones in this thread starting at #3. This is assuming each person only wants one, unless explicitly stated otherwise. If you want two or more, speak up now. It'll bump other people further down the list, but the next batch will be ready soon, and it's better than doubling the shipping costs by sending them separately.

1. Neal Wilson
2. capn reverb
3. sad iron
4. Kenny Lusk
5. iamthecosmos
6. toaster3000
7. The Pitz
8. newfuturevintage
9. wren
10. ipressrecord

I'll send pm's to each of you with my paypal address.
The mic is $25, and shipping/handling is 6. If you're local, and want to pick up/pay cash, that's fine too.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Ok, so Neal (#1 on the list) has dropped out, b/c he's decided to make his own, which is awesome. So that makes it possible for one of the remaining 9 to get a second mic without bumping anyone. The next person on the list (#11) wants two, so he'd have to wait for the next batch anyway.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:09 pm

I'd like one, I can wait though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 pm

PM'd you Paul. Only took one so others can share the love.

My collection of TOMB mics is growing. Scodiddly's Alice, Michael Joly's modded 012 and now the destined-to-be-legendary Ubertar SieveRibbon, LOL
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Is the Alice mic kit still available anywhere?