ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:27 pm

iamthecosmos wrote:Is the Alice mic kit still available anywhere?
Ask Scodiddly.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:31 pm

ubertar wrote:Ok-- so, I'll be ready to send ten out tomorrow. My first two requests were prior to this thread, so here is the list of people, with the ones in this thread starting at #3. This is assuming each person only wants one, unless explicitly stated otherwise. If you want two or more, speak up now. It'll bump other people further down the list, but the next batch will be ready soon, and it's better than doubling the shipping costs by sending them separately.

1. Neal Wilson
2. capn reverb (2) (paid)
3. sad iron
4. Kenny Lusk (paid)
5. iamthecosmos (paid)
6. toaster3000
7. The Pitz (paid)
8. newfuturevintage
9. wren (paid--echeck pending)
10. ipressrecord (paid)

I'll send pm's to each of you with my paypal address.
The mic is $25, and shipping/handling is 6. If you're local, and want to pick up/pay cash, that's fine too.
I just figured I'd quote this, since it's a new page, and I don't want anyone to miss it. I guess the only way that makes sense with these is, out of these 10 it's first come, first served if you want multiples. I'll update as more people make payment. If you get bumped, it just means you'll draw from the next batch, which won't be a long wait.
Last edited by ubertar on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:47 pm

PM'd - would love one if you're into the idea of shipping across the pond, but no worries if that's a hassle ...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:PM'd - would love one if you're into the idea of shipping across the pond, but no worries if that's a hassle ...
Shipping overseas is no problem. Just add two more bucks to the cost of shipping. That goes for anywhere in Europe. For elsewhere, if that comes up, I'll figure it out then.

Shipping is the same for two mics as for one, by the way... these don't weigh much.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks again for this! After I check it out I may decide on a second one, but for now I'm down for one. Payment just sent.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 pm

ubertar wrote:Here it is with 23db of noise reduction:

http://www.ubertar.com/ribbon_prototypeNR.mp3
Can i Paypal some extra $ to get a full cdr of your guitar improv? Thats some great stuff. Loren Mezzencaine Connors with a hint of Sonny Sharrock as the alternate soundtrack to Dead Man.

Im serious, I've played it a bunch of times. Awesome!

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 pm

ugh. missed the first batch by one it appears. if anyone flakes, please let me know. if not, i will gladly wait for the next batch.

thanks

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Payment on the way. Have to explain this to the wife tomorrow......
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:09 pm

capnreverb wrote:
ubertar wrote:Here it is with 23db of noise reduction:

http://www.ubertar.com/ribbon_prototypeNR.mp3
Can i Paypal some extra $ to get a full cdr of your guitar improv? Thats some great stuff. Loren Mezzencaine Connors with a hint of Sonny Sharrock as the alternate soundtrack to Dead Man.

Im serious, I've played it a bunch of times. Awesome!
If you send me $10, I'll throw in some cds. Not everything is guitar (I play a lot of different stuff) but I'll try to find as much guitar-improv as I can. I'm sure I've got at least a half hour, if not a fair bit more, in that category.

blackmac
audio school graduate

Post by blackmac » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Uber's, Cool riffin'. Cool mic!

But I'm thinking an Ebtech Hum Eliminator after that pre of yours and the ground loop will be gone! I can *almost* guarantee it. Those little two channel jobbies work wonders. I had a hum on a IVL Digitech Vocalist harmonizor rack recently and the Ebtech totally 'zapped/broke the ground loop' -- it totally ruled!

Again -- nice work in the picking & assembling departments!

Best :)
bmd
"Keep it on the PT" - the Positive Tip
Wired For Music studios at www.wfmwfm.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:13 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:ugh. missed the first batch by one it appears. if anyone flakes, please let me know. if not, i will gladly wait for the next batch.

thanks
I think Johnny Demonic is ahead of you, actually. But the next batch will be soon. I made the motors for batch 2 at the same time as this one, so the mics are more than half-way complete.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 am

ubertar wrote:
Dr Rubberfunk wrote:PM'd - would love one if you're into the idea of shipping across the pond, but no worries if that's a hassle ...
Shipping overseas is no problem. Just add two more bucks to the cost of shipping. That goes for anywhere in Europe. For elsewhere, if that comes up, I'll figure it out then.

Shipping is the same for two mics as for one, by the way... these don't weigh much.
Brilliant - in which case, put me down for 2! I'll be standing by with the paypal ;)

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:22 am

Not at the moment - I have a full-time-plus job and other DIY is usually at the top of the priority list.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:38 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Not at the moment - I have a full-time-plus job and other DIY is usually at the top of the priority list.
That's cool. I'm just really impressed with the clips of Ubertar's ribbon and I'm very curious about other DIY mics (particularly inexpensive ones since my mic budget has disappeared recently).

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 am

iamthecosmos wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
That's cool. I'm just really impressed with the clips of Ubertar's ribbon and I'm very curious about other DIY mics (particularly inexpensive ones since my mic budget has disappeared recently).
Do a search for the Tape Op Omnis... I believe they're what Scott's Alice was based on. It's a very easy DIY if you have experience with soldering. They're what I used for the binaural head I made. I suppose I could make more of those heads, if there's a demand. They wouldn't be $25, though.