Are you like me? I know I am.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Are you like me? I know I am.

Post by alex matson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 am

I'm reading a great book right now that happens to include interviews with Larry Crane regarding his work with Elliott Smith. It's titled simply "Elliott Smith", written by longtime friend and photographer Autumn De Wilde.

One of the things that strikes me is how chance encounters so often lead to meaningful collaborations, friendships or hookups. My personal experience is that it's entirely possible to attend a show, reading or conference and not meet anyone. I'm hardly socially handicapped, but most people seem to either already have a full plate personally or professionally, or have entirely different goals from mine. Example: nine months out of the year, I set up the sound or otherwise support live acts that are booked once a week. One week it's a bunch of guys into Appalachian jug-band stuff, the next it's an all female blues revue, then a nineties cover band. (It's a hotel, not a hip club.) Another example: I met with a few of the guys from TapeOp for beers. Nice guys all, but every one of us had his own plans for fronting a musical group, and the guy I thought was the best candidate for simply getting together to bang out some lo-fi space rock synth weirdness had just become a new father and had no free time.
Craigslist has been the source for the two bands I've played with here in Portland, but though it would be easy to once again climb aboard someone else's musical caravan as a keyboardist, I'm more interested in collaborating on something as a co-founder. But these ads I place tend to bring in people with completely different musical tastes and goals, and frequently doubtful abilities.
As someone who lives and works a few miles from the epicenters of Portland nightlife, I tend not to frequent the sort of watering holes where certain musical types may tend to hang out either; I've never been much of a drinker (when not touring.)
The fact is, it's my perception, right or wrong, that unless I develop some kind of autonomous singer-songwriter thing, getting offered a gig as a keyboardist is the most likely scenario. And the fact that so many people are either married to a job or a significant other, have completely different musical ideas, or simply can't play makes the idea of going out to meet a potential bandmate seem like a long shot indeed.

What say you?

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:06 am

Do any of those watering holes serve Coca-cola?
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 pm

I know what you mean...

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:20 pm

CurtZHP wrote:Do any of those watering holes serve Coca-cola?
My point should have been been that I don't know where musicians might be hanging out.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:34 pm

alex matson wrote:
CurtZHP wrote:Do any of those watering holes serve Coca-cola?
My point should have been been that I don't know where musicians might be hanging out.
It's really kind of a similar question to "where do I meet single women?"
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:47 pm

That'd be good to know too.
Who's got Scout Niblett's number?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of like that too. When I've had time I've taken one or two supporting player gigs, playing with really good players as the compensation. The weird-idea stuff I can do on my own time.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 am

i hear you dude.

you know, until my own band of 12 years broke up, i dont think i truly appreciated how special and uncommon it is to have another musical co-conspirator who is on the same page musically - never mind a whole band of 'em! and, you know, you don't *have* to drink when you're at a bar! :) I haven't had a drink in years, and I go to bars all the time with friends or for gigs. OJ and sprite duder. a great "alt-bev."

i really think the key is to just keep getting yourself in the mix of things.

anyway, if you go to a bunch of local shows , i'm betting you'll start to see some people over again. likewise, if you have an acquaintance who would be interested in a particular show, then ask 'em to tag along.

or even better, gather six or eight of your own songs, and ask some acquaintances if they'd be willing to play three or four shows with you. not a commitment of forever mind you, just three or four gigs.

this gets you playing and hanging with other people. you dont have to tell them exactly what to play. tah-dah! collaboration.

you get to know these people better, and get a sense if some/ a few of them would be into playing some more shows. also, you'll prolly be on a bill with at least another band, if not two for each gig. tah-dah! you're in the mix.

you're meeting peeps, playing tunes and collaborating. maybe you'll ask some of the people from the *other* bands to play a few gigs next time. eventually, you might hit it off with another musician, have a little house with a white picket fence and have a coupla little lo-fi space rock synth weirdo's running around. er, a musical co-conspirator.

simply put: do something, even if you dont have a master plan.

ps - this won't work if you're an a-hole. :^:

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:59 am

I believe that it is getting harder to find ppl to colab with. One of the reasons IMO is that everyone wants to do their own "new" thing, and today?s society doesn?t seem to encourage working together. We are nowhere near as sociable as we use to be.

I see adds everyday for musicians wanting to play one specific type of music, I wonder if in the past more ppl were willing to compromise, or if there was just less splintering of genres? Less choices
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Jon Nolan wrote: simply put: do something, even if you dont have a master plan.
+ like, 50 million.

The best thing I can do when I'm in a rut, in any aspect of my life, is stop thinking about what I should be doing and just start doing something. In my experience, over and over again, I find that positive activity (in the most basic sense, not meaning "gleefully exercising" necessarily) begets positive motion forward in life. Doesn't matter what direction you go in sometimes as much as just getting started. I've found that when I'm "doing stuff", good stuff just comes to me. I tend to think of it along the lines of balancing universal energy, but that might be too new-agey for some. Whatever, it works.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:16 pm

It's not easy, that's for sure.

Lots of good advice here... Just be sure to not take it for granted when you do get it together!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: Are you like me? I know I am.

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 am

alex matson wrote:though it would be easy to once again climb aboard someone else's musical caravan as a keyboardist, I'm more interested in collaborating on something as a co-founder.
alex matson wrote:unless I develop some kind of autonomous singer-songwriter thing, getting offered a gig as a keyboardist is the most likely scenario
Then do it. It'll cause you to meet more people. More musicians. At shows, through your bandmates, etc.,

Also: You'll continue to learn how to play with and get along others in a band situation instead of stagnating.

I think you just answered your own question right there. Now go rock.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 am

Musicians go to shows. And, not just big shows. Go see local bands. With the sorry state of live music attendance these days, there's a good chance that the majority of people in the audience will be other local musicians.

If you can't make the time to get out and see a lot of shows, then you're just not really ready to be a part of the scene. If that's the case, then you're pretty much left with the musical equivalent of internet dating.

Becoming a part of a "music scene" takes dedication. But, if you can get used to the fact that there will be a lot of late nights, then it's really pretty easy. Here's what you do:

1. Get out and see 2 or 3 local shows a week for a couple of months.
2. Take note of the people you see often at these shows. Chances are, they're musicians.
3. Introduce yourself to them. (If you've seen them over and over, you obviously have something in common.)
4. If you determine that they're musicians, ask them about their bands. The sad reality is, most of these people are more interested in talking about their music, than your music.
5. Earn some respect by paying attention to them.

Making friends is pretty easy. But, it took me a long time to figure that out. I was a total wallflower in the local music scene for about 10 years. Then, one day, it just clicked, and I realized how easy it is to make friends in the scene.

And, don't turn up your nose at being a side player in someone else's project. If you want a foot in the door, that's a great way to get it. What you make of that opportunity is up to you.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

subatomic pieces wrote:

Making friends is pretty easy. But, it took me a long time to figure that out. I was a total wallflower in the local music scene for about 10 years. Then, one day, it just clicked, and I realized how easy it is to make friends in the scene.
It's true. Often, people who become really good at something didn't always "get" it, until they decided it was important to them and took the steps to figure it out. It's kind of like when you meet a someone who's in really great shape, and you find out he used to weigh 300lbs, or you meet a guy who really has his act together and discover he was a raging alcoholic for 20 years.

If you're not meeting enough musicians you really click with right now, make it important to you, and follow this guy's advice. ^

Just remember: 90% of the humans out there want the same things you do: To connect with a few others on a level that seems meaningful, to be liked by people they like, to participate in something that's important to them, and ideally, to rock the F* out. Some people sync up, some don't. It's just a matter of numbers, personalities, and co-incidence.

Good luck!

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 pm

When I've answered musician ads (either print or online) I've had better luck playing with people I met through the ad's poster than the poster themselves.

About 6 years ago I answered an ad for a sax player assembling a jazz combo. Turned out to be a Russian Jesus freak who was a decent player but had no group experience--he'd only ever played with Aebersold recordings.

Through him I met:
1) A spectacular guitarist & good drummer--we formed a trio that played low-dough weekly gigs at a cafe and higher paying weddings, casuals, etc. Tons of fun, 2 years of swinging music
2) A strange drummer who was playing with a songwriter I had lost contact with. Hooked back up with him, played a few gigs, met some other folks I played with.
3) A not great-pianist who landed a weekend house band gig at a hotel--musically less than stellar but paid my bills for a year. Taught me that no amount of money can make up for lousy music and made me realize it was time to start focusing on my own stuff after years of being a sideman. Also, through this gig I became the bassist for a slamming late-night house band at a club a few blocks away
4) A toothless old blues guitarist who had played with some pretty big names, toured the 60s/70s chitlin' circuit, had stories to tell

Another ad I answered for a one off jam with some kids who threw warehouse parties--only played a couple times with them, but I met their jazz guitar playing neighbor, jammed with him for a year and had some good times.

All this reminds me--I've been so damned busy with my day job this last year-- I really must get out and meet people to hang/play with.

Both Brian Eno and Bill Laswell have said that some of the best music they've made came about by throwing together (apparently) incompatible musicians. Maybe seeking like-minded collaborators isn't always the answer--time to start looking for Republican sacbut-players into Muzak.