DAW for Kontakt + DAW general

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

endertak
alignin' 24-trk

DAW for Kontakt + DAW general

Post by endertak » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm

I can't stand it anymore, I have to know what other people's experiences are... I have two main DAW questions.

First off, I should mention some personal preferences:
I am a Mac user (OK, more of a disease than a preference).
I hate the look and feel of Logic's UI; so APPL-flashy, etc. I would really like to stray away from it, esp. considering that I don't use the Environment window at all. In fact, I know how to use it and I still stay away because I can't stand it.
I like DP for the most part, but I am experiencing some weirdness with Kontakt (like audio cutting out when opening and closing the window for the instrument effect). For the most part though, it's a wonderful thing. I like the flexibility I have with the window system and the various portions of the interface and the way that they are dealt with make sense to me.

1. Does anyone have a favorite DAW for Kontakt? One that they know works the most solid, etc.

2. What are people's preferences for a DAW? I know that there are threads on this but I have specific topics that I could interject with, so I thought I would post here.

Here are some important criteria:
CPU friendly
Stable (w/r/t the power of the computer I am driving it with)
Not ProTools (I like it, but I don't use their HW)
Ease of use (over time; I don't mind a learning curve)

e
e.n.d.e.r.t.a.k.

endertak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by endertak » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:20 pm

I should mention that I am also open to people pointing me at other threads, etc.

Thanks,
e
e.n.d.e.r.t.a.k.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 am

You can always pimp your Logic GUI 8). Seriously; have you tryed Cubase ?. I kinda liked it back in the day (lol), before i switched back to Logic (and Mac Pro). Actually i've worked on Cubase, Logic and Sonar. I kinda think them just as tools. Everyone of those gets the job done.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

endertak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by endertak » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:53 pm

I've tried Cubase and I hate it, esp. for Mac.
I don't know what the comment here is about pimping my Logic DAW, but I have absolutely no interest in limited customization.

I have to say that I would prefer using Reaper if I was going for customization, although they only have 3 people working for them. :p

Anyway; I am wondering what people's experiences w/r/t favorites for:
1. sound quality
2. usability / interface / location of things you need frequently
3. midi editing
4. audio editing
5. integration w/ external controllers such as motorized faders
e.n.d.e.r.t.a.k.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Usability is totally subjective. I find DP intuitive, but I started on Audiodesk 1.0 in 1998 and never looked back, so of course I would. I am also a big fan of Ableton Live, which is super limited compared to most other DAWs but BECAUSE of that is much easier to integrate into creative workflow. There are a few things that annoy me about Live, though (no mute sends? really? is it that hard to code?) having worked on regular DAWs for so long.

There may be sound quality differences between DAWs, but the differences are much more minor than almost any other link in your chain.

If you like DP and find Kontact wonky (I have noticed a few problems with Automap and Massive and Battery, but have not gotten deep into Kontact), try a MIDI host like Plogue Bidule, which DP people seem to love. More software but better stability. Plus you can just run Bidule if you're experimenting and not recording.

If Reaper for Mac actually worked with actual plugins I use, I would love it.

Good luck.

endertak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by endertak » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 pm

thanks very much for the reply and affirmation.
i feel very similarly.

i think that logic is getting better, but i think it's a bit expensive in comparison to other options.

what's your opinion of the mach5?
e.n.d.e.r.t.a.k.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 am

Never used Mach5.