Did Frontier discontinue the Tranzport?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Did Frontier discontinue the Tranzport?

Post by sad iron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 pm

If so, why? I've heard you can't get it anywhere. New product on the way?

This thing is invaluable when I'm recording myself or when I'm working with a band. I can go anywhere and do anything and make the little line move left to right.

Anyone got the poop?
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Did Frontier discontinue the Tranzport?

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

sad iron wrote:If so, why? I've heard you can't get it anywhere. New product on the way?

This thing is invaluable when I'm recording myself or when I'm working with a band. I can go anywhere and do anything and make the little line move left to right.

Anyone got the poop?
If you still lived in NYC you could use your free to get in Tape Op pass and
go to the AES Show and ask 'em!

8)

sad iron
tinnitus

Re: Did Frontier discontinue the Tranzport?

Post by sad iron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:11 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
sad iron wrote:If so, why? I've heard you can't get it anywhere. New product on the way?

Anyone got the poop?
If you still lived in NYC you could use your free to get in Tape Op pass and
go to the AES Show and ask 'em!

8)
Yeah, yeah, I know. I think I can get a $200 plane flight. I really like going to AES. I've been to a lot of trade shows and AES is decidedly the most fun, if judged on a scale of eye-gouging, horrific tedium to kind of all right.

I'll be back to NYC soon though....

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Someone mentioned that they did and after some digging I saw on Frontier's forum that basically due to the economic situation and the length of the products lifespan they decided to discontinue it. I am guessing they can't make enough money producing it.

Typical of my luck, I finally bought one this year and absolutely love it. I am hoping it lasts a while, it fits perfect on my consoles center section and rules for when i am tracking drums by myself.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:44 pm

T-rex wrote:Someone mentioned that they did and after some digging I saw on Frontier's forum that basically due to the economic situation and the length of the products lifespan they decided to discontinue it. I am guessing they can't make enough money producing it.

Typical of my luck, I finally bought one this year and absolutely love it. I am hoping it lasts a while, it fits perfect on my consoles center section and rules for when i am tracking drums by myself.
I can just hear the conversation in that meeting: "Holy crap, we made a really great product that works very well at a price point that's attractive. Now we can't afford to produce it anymore because it's too desirable and it lasts a while. Guess we gotta discontinue it... You gonna eat that bagel?"

Actually, I really feel for Frontier if that's the case. You should be able to make a living off great products that do their job and don't break after 18 months. Good for them. Unfortunately, it seems like they lose the capitalism game. Better luck next time.

Now I wish I was going to AES....

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 pm

I too use and love the tranzport, but I always thought they charged to little. I would have totaly paid $299 for it. Shame if I can't replace it if it dies though.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:39 am

I'm really bummed that I didn't order the mic stand mount adapter sooner... now I can't find one anywhere, and Frontier's online store seems to have been taken off their site! Anybody have an extra one they want to unload or know where to find one?
insert witty comment here...

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 am

[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am

Thanks!!!
insert witty comment here...

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am

I dont know how they still sell them, for the cost you could buy a cheap laptop and use Remote desktop or VNC and get all the functionality of your DAW.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 am

WTF?!? Discontinuing the most useful studio device ever? Christ...

Are there any other wireless controllers out there?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am

Way to kill your best product ever, Frontier. I rave about mine to anyone who will listen.
Prog out with your cog out.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 pm

When a product is new it sells like crazy and you can afford to tell your factory in china "I'll take 200 now and another 200 3 months from now."
Then the new shiny is worn off and sales slow down.
You can't afford to have 200 sit on the shelf for a year and a half because the orders just aren't coming in.
So at some point you have to make a decision.
BUT, what they should have done (and may still be doing, who knows) is come out with a new shinier one to take its place and bump up interest and sales.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Put a talk back mic on headphone jack on it?

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Put a talk back mic on headphone jack on it?
It's wireless, so that would pretty much kill the price point.

I've wondered in the past about why it seems that most sound gear doesn't just get more expensive with inflation. If a company comes up with a product like the Tranzport, or a microphone, it seems to me like they often sell it for the same price for years and then discontinue or 'upgrade' it rather than making it 5% more expensive every year. Alternatively, they just make the product a little crappier bit by bit by changing manufacturers every time the production costs go up a nickel.

There has to be an economic principle at work here. Same goes for cars, appliances, and electronics. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression the price goes down for the same product way more often than the price goes up.