Did Frontier discontinue the Tranzport?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:17 pm

maybe they could make a tube version.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm

I know. I've got one. Don't know if its technically possible, but even estra lo-fi wireless audio would work for talkback.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:55 am

damn, that was a really stupid move on their part.

why not just raise the price a little?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 am

I agree, stupid move on their part. And a talkback function would be cool indeed. Maybe they will re-release it or something.

I love using the big wheel on the Tranzport to "scrub" audio - gives a nice reminiscent feeling of working with tape decks. (this works in Reaper, not sure about other DAWs).

That Big Wheel lets you do crazy things to the audio, depending on how much fast you spin the wheel. You can even do it backwards for some scaaarry effects.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am

Is Frontier owned by Radio Shack? :P

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Damn, I was close to getting one of these...

Are there any other palmtop transports, wired or unwired that are good?

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Anyone use there Iphone, Itouch for a transport? I know there is a few apps out there.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:Anyone use there Iphone, Itouch for a transport? I know there is a few apps out there.
I have TouchOSC on my iPhone, and OSCulator on my laptop. I use Logic Pro 9 and I have a template saved that I have been working with off-and-on for the last couple weeks. So far, I have eight faders and mute buttons mapped and mostly working. There is something funny going on with one fader that tries to use two channels.

I have not yet gotten to the point of mapping the transport, because I am really slow at this stuff. I was hoping that by now I could find a template someone else had made, but no dice for Logic yet. I think there are some templates for Ableton available.

The possibilities are awesome, but the execution is a bit over my head. I am into computers for what they can do for me, I am completely new to this process of programming control message transformations and all that. The Environment in Logic is really powerful, but probably the part I am the least familiar with.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
http://www.osculator.net/wp/

also, a bit more to the original point, someone is selling one of the Tranzports in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:37 am

kayagum wrote:Is Frontier owned by Radio Shack? :P
Yes, and from now on you're supposed to refer to them as "The 'Tier."

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 am

damn. HA! well, glad i got mine when i did. it was between that and the Euphonix MC Control ($1500). not much in between it seems. tranzport is working wonders for me in the meantime. being a one man engineering machine that i am...
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:35 pm

The Tranzport is one of the most useful tools in this one man band... especially when recording drums. Sure, I could use a laptop and VNC (not a bad idea) but then I have to look at the screen instead of having the feel of a transport ( I started with tape).

Hell, I even use the Tranzport on mobile sessions with my laptop! I like it that much. I just hope that if mine breaks one day I won't have to spend $500 on ebay just to get another one.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:28 am

I love my Faderport for the same thing (one man band). I wouldn't mind having a board made up of a bunch of them! I've kind of been looking for something like that. The Korg Nanokontrol seems like a possibility but it doesn't seem like it'd be as solid, I guess i'll have to try it to see. I recently found the Behringer BCF2000 B-Control Fader. Someday I'd love to replace the whole deal with the ZED16 everyone's been talking about (not that it does the same functions but it just seems great!).

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am

The VNC thing is really cool, but at this point I am actually turning off my computer screens as much as possible (to listen more as opposed to watching the waveforms) and the transport really lets me do that while mixing, so that is nice. I have only rarely worked with tape and that was in a few studios, but the transport still gives that feel of a linear workflow even though obviously it isn't AND it has a ton of other great features. Really a shame that it's out of production. Hopefully mine lasts for a long time or someone comes up with a nice replacement for it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:22 am

Fuck, now you weenies have me lusting after a Tranzport. I set up a whole keyboard, mouse, monitor right next to my hi-hat just to get transport controls for tracking drums and rehearsals.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Snarl,

There's a used one in stock at my store here. PM me

dw
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.