Boards of Canada

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Hey, if an interview with Boards of Canada would make people mad I'm MORE likely to pursue it!
Terrible idea. Mouse twiddlers. An interview with them would obviously mean that tapeop had gone to the dogs, and I would definitely cancel my subscription, burn every single issue in my possession and tell all my friends to come pee on your house, knock off all this recording nonsense, and pick up subscriptions to Martha Stewart instead.

(Can we have a BOC interview yet?)

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:16 am

I am more hungry than ever for a interview with somebody like this. I lived in Europe and was exposed to all of this DJ culture. Now I have come back to the states and I have a tower of Midi connected to a big ass board. I am looking always for artists like BOC or Dj Shadow or all of that thing. I have no idea if what I am doing is standard for the genre or whatever because I have never met another artist like myself.

Doing that sort of electronic music feels a little different for me because it is really a use the studio as an instrument thing. Same gear different approach or somewhat differeing approach to recording bands. Also music like that is composerly while band stuff is often us against the world stuff.

Anyways..
My Favorite magazine in the whole world is Tape Op.

Thanks.
I'm a bad man!

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Apparently new album(s) imminent, and apparently this may or may not be BoC (or part of) under another name : http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=226494

So, if they play the pr game around a new BoC release, you might be in with a shout :)

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm

These are all great and the last couple issues have also had some other outstanding interviews. That said, I'd still like to see more stuff on electronic music production in the magazine. BoC, sure. Amon Tobin? Venetian Snares?
Wubbeneezer Garibaldi wrote:
firby wrote: I have not yet seen a good electronica anything interview in tapeOp. It might of happenened and slid under my radar. BOC would be one, that would be good enough.

And yeah they aren't freakin' perfect. But whatever, they don't need to be. They are good enough.

I am all about hearing about electronic music and emusic crossover artists and there processes and what not. It's my thing.

Larry is generally more into bands and groovy producers.
Over the years Tape Op has interviewed Mouse on Mars, Plaid, Manitoba/Caribou, and some other electronic artistes. If you're interested in process(ing) the features on people like Jim O'Rourke, Larry Fast, Malcolm Cecil, Pauline Oliveros, and John Frusciante were good. The Hank Shocklee article interview was a fascinating primer on the early days of sampling, as was the Mario Caldato spot.

Larry Crane says he's been trying to interview Brian Eno for years...that would be the plum!

I love BOC for their spacious approach and great textures--they really listen to what they're doing. I think their albums (at least the later ones) are going to age better than most people lumped under IDM.

There are some BOC interviews at http://fredd-e.narfum.org/formerboc/int ... ginmegaweb .

sonix>phonix
audio school graduate

Post by sonix>phonix » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:25 am

+1 for BoC!

In the past TapeOp has covered some great electronic artists: The Books. Matthew Herbert. And most recently Moby.

It's also relevent here that Ableton Live is featured in Behind the Gear this month.

It seems apparent to me TapeOp has no qualms about branching out into TechnoLand. Hence, Boards of Canada is a great idea...

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 am

Campfire headphase is the shit.

I'd pee my pants for a BOC interview in TapeOp.

pwal
audio school

Post by pwal » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 am

+1

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Anyone have a lead on contacting them or want to pursue an interview? I like their stuff too.

Look, all these folks that read Tape Op and decide it's only about certain music styles or think they have ANY FUCKING IDEA the limits of my listening habits are fucking SO FULL OF THEIR OWN BS that I shouldn't even have to comment. I was listening to electronic music when the idea of a polyphonic synth was science fiction. John B studied EM at Evergreen and Stamford and even wrote early software for sequencing or some shit. And anyone that dismisses music made with any mousing involved must not be buying many albums these days...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:20 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Look, all these folks that read Tape Op and decide it's only about certain music styles or think they have ANY FUCKING IDEA the limits of my listening habits are fucking SO FULL OF THEIR OWN BS that I shouldn't even have to comment. I was listening to electronic music when the idea of a polyphonic synth was science fiction. John B studied EM at Evergreen and Stamford and even wrote early software for sequencing or some shit. And anyone that dismisses music made with any mousing involved must not be buying many albums these days...
No one in this thread said anything like that about you.

"I was listening to electronic music when the idea of a "polyphonic synth" was SCIENCE FICTION! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Sorry. I get cranky about the Tape Op assumptions...
www.larry-crane.com

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:Apparently new album(s) imminent, and apparently this may or may not be BoC (or part of) under another name : http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=226494

So, if they play the pr game around a new BoC release, you might be in with a shout :)
this is so boards of canada

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:
No one in this thread said anything like that about you.

"I was listening to electronic music when the idea of a "polyphonic synth" was SCIENCE FICTION! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
I think Larry was reacting to the guy who said earlier in the thread that TO never covers electronic music. And of course TO has covered electronic music. I really enjoyed the piece on Matthew Herbert way back when. It was very inspiring.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:58 am

"Larry is generally more into bands and groovy producers."

That's what I was addressing but didn't spend time to dig up. Please don't assume.
www.larry-crane.com

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Sorry Larry I think those were my words. Not trying to start with you.

Also, I did not know that that was YOUR lawn. I thought my property extended past the edge of my trailer, past the car on blocks all the way to the dog house. Does this mean I still have to mow it ?

Joking. Much love here.

I am pretty new to your whole magazine/website. My much loved stack of TapeOp is probably only 3-5 inches thick.

Hey, I would do the interview but I am in Cincinnati and only worth about a grand nowadays so travel is pretty daunting. If there is opportunity here then sign me up. But yeah, loves me some Boards of Canada and electronic music in general.

Also, I am cranking out my own shit and I (of course) think that it is bad ass. So, there is that. Also, I am really not in the what-I-listen-too-is-so-much-less-trivial-than-what-you-listen-too thing. I would love to hear what you are listening too. I am in the what's-good-music-oh-really? camp.

Anyways Larry, I don't know you well enough to get all punk rock on your ass in a _friendly_ we-go-way-back punk rock way. So, it is better for me to just be meek.

Love your magazine, and you by extension, whether you like it or not.

Take care brother.
Regards.
I'm a bad man!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:10 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Sorry. I get cranky about the Tape Op assumptions...
No problem, and we don't have your jobs, after all.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis