Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Ardour + Harrison + OS X = Mixbus

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 am

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joomla/ ... &Itemid=42

Mixbus Features:

* Straightforward ?knob per function? mixer layout based on Harrison's renowned 32-series and MR-series music consoles.
* Precision DSP algorithms for EQ, Filter, Compression, Analog Tape Saturation, and Summing based on Harrison's world-renowned large format analog and digital mixing consoles.
* Unlimited stereo or mono input channels (based on available CPU power) featuring High-pass Filter, EQ, Compression, and 4 Mix Bus sends on every channel.
* 4 Stereo Mix Buses (can be used for groups or auxes) featuring Tone controls, Compression, Sidechaining, and Analog Tape Saturation.
* Stereo Master Bus that features Tone controls, Analog Tape Saturation, K-meter, and Limiting to help you make polished mixes.
* Plugin delay compensation to support effects such as parallel compression.
* Comprehensive "at-a-glance" metering with peak, peak hold, and compressor gain reduction visible on every track and bus.
* Extensive DAW features via the Ardour Digital Audio Workstation.
* Supports AudioUnit plugins and any CoreAudio interface.

Looks like Harrison created their own LADSPA plugin channel strip, integrated it with Ardour, and are selling it cheap. I'm bummed that its OS X only, and 10.5 only too.

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 am

I wonder if the good folks over at UA had a hand in this; I have the Harrison EQ and it's great!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:46 pm

I've been following the thread over on another popular board and it looks very promising. UA didn't have anything to do with it, as some of their cards are currently having issues. Ardour is the open-source engine behind it and began as a linux thing (I believe) hence it's Mac-only.

Apparently there is a way to get it to route other DAWs through it, thus you could mix everything in Logic and send the main out LR through a couple channels of this and sweeten it with that EQ.

If I didn't have Logic already I'd jump all over this. $80 is nothing for that EQ.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Whoa, sweet. Looks like there is a Linux version of this in the works.....

Ardour has come a LONG way in the past year. Might be time for me to take a serious look at it.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:50 pm

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:48 pm

DryCounty wrote:I've been following the thread over on another popular board and it looks very promising. UA didn't have anything to do with it, as some of their cards are currently having issues. Ardour is the open-source engine behind it and began as a linux thing (I believe) hence it's Mac-only.

Apparently there is a way to get it to route other DAWs through it, thus you could mix everything in Logic and send the main out LR through a couple channels of this and sweeten it with that EQ.

If I didn't have Logic already I'd jump all over this. $80 is nothing for that EQ.
I use Logic as well. I don't know when this was released but the timing for me is kind of weird. I love Logic but lately I've been bugging on simplicity or using a DAW that is more console-like. I'm tempted to try this out. Could be cool.....

Al

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Ugh. Apparently it needs to run through Jack. I have never been able to figure that program out. (I know, I don't know Jack).

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 am

Jack isn't that bad man. What interface do you use?

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am

I switch between a Tascam FW1884 and a MOTU Ultralite. I've tried both Jack and Soundflower and just cant' seem to get the hang of either. The routing baffles me.

BenLoftis
audio school

Post by BenLoftis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:39 pm

lysander:

You don't actually have to use JACK at all.

Just launch Mixbus, and it has a tab called "Audio Settings" which lets you choose your I/O, samplerate, etc. Your track inputs and master outputs are routed to your I/Os by default (but you can change them if you want).

Mixbus uses JACK in the background but you never see it.

-Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:15 am

I'm also eagerly awaiting a Linux version of this; I'd love to get away from Windoze altogether.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:59 am

kinger wrote:I'm also eagerly awaiting a Linux version of this; I'd love to get away from Windoze altogether.
ME TOO.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:15 am

No doubt. These days I only use Windows to run Sonar. Everything else I do, I do with Linux.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:01 am

I bought a copy of Mixbus this last week and so far, I'm impressed. The latency compensated mixbus sends are a great feature and the overall sound is fantastic! They say only for 10.4 or 10.5 and they are working on a 10.6 version, but I'm running the current version, 1.0, on 10.6 and it's mostly running fine. I just used the newer 10.6 version of Jack. I like this program and I think it will be one to watch as it matures.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 am

I purchased Mixbus as well. I have not been able to get it to run on my G5. Works fine on my G4 however, that is the one I don't use for music.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups