Info Peavey AMR MCR 4 track

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

creaturesleeper
gimme a little kick & snare

Info Peavey AMR MCR 4 track

Post by creaturesleeper » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:08 pm

I just bought this machine for a not alot of money from the original owner and was wondering if anyone here has owned or used one before...Its a rack mount 4 track and mixer from around 1990 probably with a foot switch to punch in and out etc. it has been only lightly used. I got it so I could mix my suitcase of old 4 track tapes onto my computer for sampling etc.
Any experiences?
Thanks! :?: :?:

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:45 pm

AMR was peaveys attempt to get into audio gear. Most of the stuff was really solid and some pieces were kinda innovative. IIRC that 4 track was quite pricey for its time. Must do something neat like record at high speed or something.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:01 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:AMR was peaveys attempt to get into audio gear. Most of the stuff was really solid and some pieces were kinda innovative. IIRC that 4 track was quite pricey for its time. Must do something neat like record at high speed or something.

Yeah there's not much info out there...The guy even has all the paperwork and Manual for it which is astounding to me after 20 years or so. It looks super solid...all metal construction. He told me he spent 600 bucks on the whole setup in the late 80's. Peavey sold the recorder mixer footpedal and stand all seperately...and the cords too Im assuming! Nickel and diming ya to death. I'm picking it up tomorrow...We'll see what happens!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Dude, nice score.

I assume you are in the PDX area - I was eyeing that on Craigslit, I'm glad a TapeOpper got it (lord knows I don't need more stuff in my basement, but I have a Peavey fetish, so that was very tempting).

Good score - I suspect the mixer will be even cooler than the 4-track cassette.

I checked, you can also get the manual from the Peavey site, but no info for the mixer.

One other thing - the manual says that thing uses Dolby B/C, which is better on a cassette than DBX ('cause you can turn it off when recording, then turn it on for extra high end sizzle).

Keep us posted on how it turned out.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 am

roygbiv wrote:Dude, nice score.

I assume you are in the PDX area - I was eyeing that on Craigslit, I'm glad a TapeOpper got it (lord knows I don't need more stuff in my basement, but I have a Peavey fetish, so that was very tempting).

Good score - I suspect the mixer will be even cooler than the 4-track cassette.

I checked, you can also get the manual from the Peavey site, but no info for the mixer.

One other thing - the manual says that thing uses Dolby B/C, which is better on a cassette than DBX ('cause you can turn it off when recording, then turn it on for extra high end sizzle).

Keep us posted on how it turned out.
Yeah I live Out in Linnton Across the bridge from St.Johns...I looked at both PDFs on the Peavey site and the mixer it comes with is unfortunately not the higher end one (AMR 64) but the AMR 42 the difference seems to be a lack of XLR input's and no mid range on the track EQ's just High and Low but theres a full EQ on the output channel...Maybe I can find a AMR 64 somewhere...I think it was meant to be though for my 4 track project....ever since my old Fostex x12 blew up (my jack ass old roomie plugged an A/C power supply into it) I have had a hard time finding one worth the money...I tried out two different ones at TradeUp Music (they lie by the way) The first one was a Tascam 488 apparently fully tested and operational (not) I took it home and one input channel worked and there was no playback in either the headphones nor the RCA outputs...I immediately returned it. I went to the SouthEast store and they had a Fostex X14 fairly un used looking I tested it first and the dumb a**es had the wrong power supply for it. They plugged it in and blew it up right in front of me! It was the wrong polarity from a different machine and only 9 volt's!
Whew! Rant sorry about that
Hopefully tommorow I'll be vindicated
I'll let yall know!
BTW I didn't know that about the Dolby B/C Thanks for the info!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 am

yeah thats the old 70's- 80's studio trick to get that sparkly sound. Use dolby A, B or C on decode but not on encode. Or use dolby to encode, but use two channels of it on playback!
DBX doesnt work like that for some reason.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:yeah thats the old 70's- 80's studio trick to get that sparkly sound. Use dolby A, B or C on decode but not on encode. Or use dolby to encode, but use two channels of it on playback!
So if I switch it on in mixdown mode to whereever I send it it brings out the high's? I used to record on 4 tracks alot but never gave it much thought....my x12 was pretty barebones anyway I have tapes I recorded with it using a headphone as a mic! I used to have a 2 track Akia reel to reel you could record onto an eight track cartridge with...I miss that machine

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 am

creaturesleeper wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:yeah thats the old 70's- 80's studio trick to get that sparkly sound. Use dolby A, B or C on decode but not on encode. Or use dolby to encode, but use two channels of it on playback!
So if I switch it on in mixdown mode to whereever I send it it brings out the high's? I used to record on 4 tracks alot but never gave it much thought....my x12 was pretty barebones anyway I have tapes I recorded with it using a headphone as a mic! I used to have a 2 track Akia reel to reel you could record onto an eight track cartridge with...I miss that machine
I researched it and heres why DBX is different... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_(noise_reduction)