audiophiles always make me laugh...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:49 pm

ok so I've seen this on 3 different message boards today.

On what blog is this posted? I wanna know because I want to promote my next record there.

:D

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:58 pm

dude, it's VIRAL!

like herpes

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:59 pm

I get a few things from parts express every now and then. They just sell what the market will bear. Whoever dreamed up the whole AC snakeoil thing is a genius, a rich genius by now. These fancy cables and AC receptacles have been around for a few years. I have seen some that go for even more than this!
Funny thing is, I wonder if any of these audiophiles have invested any time/money/effort into controlling their acoustics?

another thing strikes me as funny. What do these audiophiles think the mix engineer listened to when he mixed the record? a $40,000 custom system with tube amps, zirconium shielded AC wire and superconducting speaker cable, or a pair of NS10s! Do they think the music was recorded in a perfect studio with zero AC noise? If anything you can do all you want to purify your home systems AC current. At some point you will just be creating the perfect environment to listen to the noise floor of the studio it was recorded in. You cant hear past that!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:21 pm

or the sound of the not so well maintained HVAC system of the concert hall...

bestmixerever
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bestmixerever » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

These are the same %$#!^ bags that spend 100 large on a ZR1 and drive it with the traction control on, the same jack-offs who spend a few hundred clams on a pound of coffee beans that were shit out by a rodent (Kopi Luwak coffee). Now if I can only convince them to pay me 10 grand a song to mix their vanity record. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Mixing "In The Box" beats the crap outta "Living" in A box
http://www.protools-mixing.com

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 pm

OMG!!! .... I'm speachlesss.... Are there really people that would buy these?

BTW I'm a master electrician, been in the business for 20+ years and I thought I've seen it all , apparently there's more :lol:

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Seems like kind of a waste of money unless they're planning on gold plating every connection between the power station and their house as well. Besides the fact that gold isn't the best medal for conductivity anyway, it's just very corrosion resistant. Doesn't silver conduct better than gold? No point to arguing facts around an industry that's existence is supported completely by anecdote anyway.

???????
resurrected

Re: audiophiles always make me laugh...

Post by ??????? » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 pm

bestmixerever wrote:These are the same %$#!^ bags that spend 100 large on a ZR1 and drive it with the traction control on, the same jack-offs who spend a few hundred clams on a pound of coffee beans that were shit out by a rodent (Kopi Luwak coffee). Now if I can only convince them to pay me 10 grand a song to mix their vanity record. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
That's a bit harsh, calling them such names, right? I mean it's their money. They're not hurting you personally by choosing to spend it on whatever the hell they want. Unless you make inexpensive wall outlets, of course.

bestmixerever
alignin' 24-trk

Re: audiophiles always make me laugh...

Post by bestmixerever » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

??????? wrote:
bestmixerever wrote:These are the same %$#!^ bags that spend 100 large on a ZR1 and drive it with the traction control on, the same jack-offs who spend a few hundred clams on a pound of coffee beans that were shit out by a rodent (Kopi Luwak coffee). Now if I can only convince them to pay me 10 grand a song to mix their vanity record. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
That's a bit harsh, calling them such names, right? I mean it's their money. They're not hurting you personally by choosing to spend it on whatever the hell they want. Unless you make inexpensive wall outlets, of course.

Sorry to offend anyone's sensibilities. It was an attempt at levity considering the absurd nature of the post.
Mixing "In The Box" beats the crap outta "Living" in A box
http://www.protools-mixing.com

dcsimon
studio intern

Post by dcsimon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:00 pm

I particularly enjoy the customer reviews, this one specifically:
I have a fine tuned tube amp. based system. My Ac cords already incorporate Wattgate plugs. I used this one to replace the Hospital grade one I was using in the wall. This new plug truly redefined the experience from listening my sound system. I get more deeper base and also additional details in the overall spectrum.
I want more deeper bass from my system!!? </endSarcasm>
Problem? Sounds fine to me.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:42 pm

I want more deeper
Your mom demanded the same thing last night.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:34 pm

As a resident gearhead on TapeOp, I'd just like to point something out regarding the comments on this ad--y'know, just for the record...
a Ford Tempo with a V-12--any V-12--would absolutely haul ass.
Getting it in would be the hard part. You'd probably have to make the car rear-wheel drive, put the engine where the back seat is, and use some sort of transaxle... maybe like what they put in the Plymouth Prowler.
There's no way that car would be anything approaching safe. But it would absolutely screw. Skuh-REW. Like Judas on a jet ski.

And yet the commenter-person was describing this like it was a bad thing... and I guess that's another blow struck against audiophile credibility.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:14 pm

I would benefit from this seeing as I have a special oxygen free 14 "carrot" gold electric line running directly from my town's power generator provider into my home.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 pm

AstroDan wrote:I would benefit from this seeing as I have a special oxygen free 14 "carrot" gold electric line running directly from my town's power generator provider into my home.
so difficult to detect sarcasm in text. this is sarcasm, right? good. now if you have a problem with my DIY krugerrand filled speaker stands, then tough.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs