Questions for Brian Paulson interview?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Questions for Brian Paulson interview?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:16 pm

One of our writers is gonna talk to Brian Paulson on Monday. Anyone have questions for this fantastic engineer/producer? Having recorded Slint, Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt and Wilco alone would be enough, but add in Beck, Archers of Loaf, Dinosaur Jr., Polvo, US Maple, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Royal Trux, Superchunk, Rosebuds, Crooked Fingers, Mark Eitzel, Something For Kate, The Spinanes. Yeah. QUESTIONS TO ASK HIM?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 pm

i think i'm too late, but tell us about recording bastro - sing the troubled beast. how did you record the stuff at first congressional church on that session? how was the location recording done? i'm guessing you didn't move a 2" over there... was that sort of an afterthought to the main track, or just outtakes?

i'd just love to hear about his path coming up and what sounds and techniques influenced him - his records have always stuck me as sounding fantastic - like rock jazz records - high fidelity/open sounding.

relistening to that bastro right now - man, mcentire was a monster in those days!

also can you talk a little about the producer role you play - i was intrigued by how you worked with al johnson on acre thrills, he's such an eccentric vocalist - how did you approach working with someone so left field?

for others, check this great video of brian and us maple in action at pachyderm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loni6SVagbw

very much looking forward to this coming out - i've been a big fan of brian's work for a long time.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Ask him what happend to the other two interviews he did for TapeOp.

I think Trace is one of the best-sounding albums ever made and Brian's a really nice guy. I'd love to know what made them choose Salmagundi as a location for that recording.

Also, what's the best mic for recording a cell phone?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC