Boost/OD Pedals?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:30 pm

mcsquishytooshy wrote:No mentions of the Danelectro Cool Cat CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive!?
SUPER cheap, truly transparent.
Their new line of pedals are really good. I have to fuzz and tremelo and had the vibrato. All of them sound awesome.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:58 am

After going through dozens of pedals, I've gone back to a standard RAT pedal for my solo/boost pedal. Distortion at 9:00, volume to taste ( currently @ 3:00). For whatever reason, it sounds great!

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:08 pm

I have to agree on the rat. I have about half a dozen drive pedals and use that one as much as all the others combined. It just gets more different sounds, wheras my big muffs, and DBA Fuzz war are all pretty much one trick ponies. My Digitech is only useful for replicating beneath the remains era Sepultura guitar sounds, or drum machine abuse.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Digitechs are OK

Post by ampguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 pm

as mentioned, the Bad Monkey is a good buy when at $29, the $10 more Screamin Blues is even better.

They have pseudo cab sim, so if needed, you can DI them and EQ them for an OK sound without an amp, attenuator, etc.

The Digitech digital modelers are pretty raspy, but if you go through the presets, one or two out of 50 or so can be convincing, and many do have drums in them.

Never had one with a footpedal or a Whammy yet though.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Wow guys. Thanks for all the responses.

Seems like the Hotcake is the cats pajamas around here. I'll look into that.

Casey... I may be in touch. Appreciate the offer. Samples on your website sound really good.

Anyone else using the LPB-1? The price is great on that box. Would leave me enough left over to get her a Memory Toy to go with it.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm

kayagum wrote:After going through dozens of pedals, I've gone back to a standard RAT pedal for my solo/boost pedal. Distortion at 9:00, volume to taste ( currently @ 3:00). For whatever reason, it sounds great!
The Rat rules, although I always think of it more of a distortion pedal than an overdrive/boost.

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:56 am

Currently using a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. Different take on an OD pedal as you can add grind in 2 frequency ranges. Let's you dial in a lot of different sounds w/ 3 knobs.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:Wow guys. Thanks for all the responses.

Seems like the Hotcake is the cats pajamas around here. I'll look into that.

Casey... I may be in touch. Appreciate the offer. Samples on your website sound really good.

Anyone else using the LPB-1? The price is great on that box. Would leave me enough left over to get her a Memory Toy to go with it.
thanks! whatever you choose...good luck!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 pm

One other thing that I'm curious about, is the idea of using a compression pedal for boosting purposes. I hadn't thought of that, but some folks have raised the idea.

I've thought for a while, that she would benefit from a bit of subtle compression in her signal chain, and never thought of a compression pedal also serving the purpose of boosting the signal.

What benefits and/or drawbacks do you see in taking that approach?

I've never used a compression pedal myself, so I'm not familiar with that sound.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Poppatwang wrote:Currently using a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. Different take on an OD pedal as you can add grind in 2 frequency ranges. Let's you dial in a lot of different sounds w/ 3 knobs.
aww yes. this is a great pedal. Catalinbread makes some pretty sweet OD pedals too.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:One other thing that I'm curious about, is the idea of using a compression pedal for boosting purposes.

What benefits and/or drawbacks do you see in taking that approach?
It's very subjective. Depends on playing style, gear choice, and what sound you're going for. Try some stuff out.

If you're playing a rather clean amp, a comp as a boost would be nice for single note lines that you want to stand out. Going into a distorted amp, there's already a lot of compression to begin with. It might be cool. or a boost might work just as well for that. I like comp a bit more with single coils than with humbuckers. If set right, they can give a little more density to a guitar sound.

Comp pedals restrict the dynamic range, which will change the feel of the instrument. Picking dynamics will feel a little different. If you are used to riding your guitar's vol. knob then you might have to make some adjustments too.

But like I said, try out a few at a guitar shop.

mr. nick
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr. nick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 pm

i second the DOD 250 preamp. it is 2 knobs and built like a tank, i paid $37.00 for it new. it is great for opening up the ampeg V-2 and VT-40 i have. folks are always asking me about the pedal and having to get one now at the end of the session. link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... Pedal.html

best,
n.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 pm

The yellow DOD! I used to have one of those. I loved how it sounded on bass guitar. I would just dime it and that was the sound esp with a traynor YBA1a
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

sloanfiske
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sloanfiske » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 am

the velour fog wrote: Catalinbread makes some pretty sweet OD pedals too.
i heart the Silver Kiss.
my parents drove it up from the bahamas

really

not really...the bahamas are islands

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:10 am

the velour fog wrote:
Poppatwang wrote:Currently using a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. Different take on an OD pedal as you can add grind in 2 frequency ranges. Let's you dial in a lot of different sounds w/ 3 knobs.
aww yes. this is a great pedal. Catalinbread makes some pretty sweet OD pedals too.
+1 to both. Really great OD pedals.