Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:33 am

I ordered a Drawmer 1968 from Sonic Circus the other day. Just waiting on it to ship!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:31 pm

T-rex wrote:I ordered a Drawmer 1968 from Sonic Circus the other day. Just waiting on it to ship!

You?re going to love it!

I started out thinking it was going to be a stereo drum bus comp in my setup, but I found it works really well on the mix buss.

Have fun!
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:46 pm

That's my plan; use it for tracking on the way in and for the overall mix bus on the way out. I have been using my vla which is nice for just a little glue, but I want something punchier. Plus this frees up the VLA for other uses.

I can't wait to drive the heck out of the tube output. I saw an old Fletcher post where he suggested abusing it pretty badly by driving the gain and padding the output.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Marwood Williams wrote:A Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer - Craigslist bargain for $75.00!
Ohhhhhhh I loves me my WR-s mixer(s). I've got a pair of 4412. $75 is a screamin' deal.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 am

T-rex wrote:That's my plan; use it for tracking on the way in and for the overall mix bus on the way out. I have been using my vla which is nice for just a little glue, but I want something punchier. Plus this frees up the VLA for other uses.

I can't wait to drive the heck out of the tube output. I saw an old Fletcher post where he suggested abusing it pretty badly by driving the gain and padding the output.
I went a little crazy like that on the last project I did. The noisiest mix I have ever had, but one of my favorites.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Ramsa

Post by Marwood Williams » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:38 am

Apparently, it used to belong to a church - I tested the channels and the inserts and so far, so good.

Next week some new cables and rack I ordered are supposed to arrive. I can't wait to ghook it up and take it for a test ride!
Judas Jetski wrote:
Marwood Williams wrote:A Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer - Craigslist bargain for $75.00!
Ohhhhhhh I loves me my WR-s mixer(s). I've got a pair of 4412. $75 is a screamin' deal.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Black Friday Deal:

I had a gig (my first with me new band (first band I've fronted since 2003)), so I went to GC on Black Friday to pick up some cables and a pedal board (GC/MF has a pedal board bag-thing with no power supply for $20 right now) and I needed some strings. I got a deal on 10 sets of d'addario EXP acoustic strings for $70. The retail for $12 a set. And I got a FREE acoustic guitar out of the deal. It's a Silvertone (and not the vintage phylum), but sounds all right for effing free. It's really bright and resonant. Can't find anything about it on the internets. Don't know what it's made of or where it comes from, besides China. Might be a perfect Nashville tuning acoustic.

Not sure I like the EXP string. They feel a little dull and plastic-y. Anyone use them on a regular basis. I'm a long-time D'addario user and so I am hopeful.

Just thought I'd share.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:19 pm

I don't like those EXP strings much either. I bought them for a guitar I play shows with, an Epiphone that wouldn't break my heart if it were stolen, but I switched back to phosphor bronze strings again.

I order $150 dollars worth of resistors, op-amps, capacitors and other components from Digikey and Mouser. I have about $25 or so more to get from Percy Audio, and I'll have everything (well, I'm sure I forgot something) I need to modify the 5 compressors that are on my "bench"
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:00 am

Bought a loaded MexiStrat pickguard off a guy on Craigslist last night. He described the guitar as "the best sounding Mexican Strat he'd ever heard." I crammed the pickups and as much of the electronics as would fit into that MIJ Squier Bullet I mentioned a few pages back. You remember, the one with the fantastic neck and the horridly uninspiring tone, right?

It sounds S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R. :shock: I mean really, really great. Plays as good as my USA bullet, only this one has a rosewood neck, and I don't even *like* rosewood necks all that much.

I had to ditch one of the tone pots to fit the pickguard, so all pickups operate off of one tone control. No biggie.

www.andysmash.com

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 am

Judas Jetski wrote:Bought a loaded MexiStrat pickguard off a guy on Craigslist last night. He described the guitar as "the best sounding Mexican Strat he'd ever heard." I crammed the pickups and as much of the electronics as would fit into that MIJ Squier Bullet I mentioned a few pages back. You remember, the one with the fantastic neck and the horridly uninspiring tone, right?

It sounds S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R. :shock: I mean really, really great. Plays as good as my USA bullet, only this one has a rosewood neck, and I don't even *like* rosewood necks all that much.

I had to ditch one of the tone pots to fit the pickguard, so all pickups operate off of one tone control. No biggie.
Awesome. My MIJ Squier Bullet is my favorite guitar to play right now, aside from one I made recently for microtonal stuff. Turns out the one pickup in it I really liked was USA made Fender, and I've replaced the other two with US made Fender pickups of different types, so each position has its own character aside from the difference due to position. Those are just great guitars. I wouldn't trade it for an American strat (well, I guess I would, but then I'd sell the American strat and get another MIJ Bullet and pocket the difference).

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm glad you said that. I've been toying with the notion of throwing down some serious coin on a USA Strat. Still might... but I've been wondering if my guitar could 'hold its own.' It's nice to see that comparison in someone else's terms. :D

www.andysmash.com

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:04 pm

sad iron wrote:Grado Sr-80
oh man, i love these headphones. sound superb. even after mine busted i resurrected them and they are better than ever.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:18 am

Judas Jetski wrote:I'm glad you said that. I've been toying with the notion of throwing down some serious coin on a USA Strat. Still might... but I've been wondering if my guitar could 'hold its own.' It's nice to see that comparison in someone else's terms. :D
I've never owned a USA strat. But I can't imagine what I'd like better about one. My suggestion would be to take the Bullet with you to the store and play both side by side. I'd bet you'd come home with the Bullet, and money still in your wallet, and the USA strat will still be in the store.

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:26 am

Just scored a USA Fender Bullet H2 at a local Pawnshop. It wasn't a steal, but it's a really cool little guitar and feels really solid. Needs a new nut and a decent setup and then it should be golden. Beautiful red, too:)

Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 am

infiniteposse wrote:Just scored a USA Fender Bullet H2 at a local Pawnshop. It wasn't a steal, but it's a really cool little guitar and feels really solid. Needs a new nut and a decent setup and then it should be golden. Beautiful red, too:)

What's that little amp in the upper right corner?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com