OS9 users of the world UNITE!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Running a dual boot g4 in one room, the last and most powerful of the os9 bootable machines. Noisy as hell, but I keep a logic system on there that is rock solid and there's still a couple of apps and plugs that never made the jump.

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Z-Plane wrote:Running a dual boot g4 in one room, the last and most powerful of the os9 bootable machines. Noisy as hell, but I keep a logic system on there that is rock solid and there's still a couple of apps and plugs that never made the jump.
The infamous wind tunnel. Mine is sitting idle as an emergency backup.

moathouse
audio school graduate

Post by moathouse » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Dual boot G4, Hanging in there with os9 and PT5.1 because of the vast amount of plug ins i stumbled onto. the TC plugs alone are worth going back to os9 for stuff.

i do most of my tracking and editing in os10.3, PT6.4.. it's just a more pleasant visual interface, and there are a few functions that help speed up editing. any kind of coping or hard disk stuff too. just looks more pretty!

Its common for me to flip between os9 and osx on a project, go back and do a little something with a plug in, and then go back to osx, keep working. there is that fader gain thing to click over, but it's really not a big deal if you stay at +6.

PT Mix systems. they just work. they are reasonable. get good converters. press record. glad some of you agree--

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Dual boot G4, but I'm finally retiring it. Now I have to find it a good home. I hate the idea of recycling a computer that still works.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:55 pm

JES wrote:Dual boot G4, but I'm finally retiring it. Now I have to find it a good home. I hate the idea of recycling a computer that still works.
yeah, i've got an old g4 dual 800. which is like maybe 9 years old? Still works fine...
I've noticed some days its a bit cranky but still keeps going!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:10 am

I feel like computers are the same as everything else--they used to have better build quality even if the new features are way better.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 am

I've got a dual-booting G4 as a backup as well... and I'm always surprised when I boot up OS9 and launch Pro Tools, how snappy the interface is. Like there's some subtle lag in OS X that we've all gotten used to.

On the reFuse Software site we still have some freeware for OS 9 (Ugly VSTi Interface, Note2Frequency utility, Pro Tools Mode Display, etc...):

http://www.refusesoftware.com/products/freeware

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 am

Me too. I'm running OS9 PT 5.1 on a TDM system. I also have lots of plugins that I'd miss if I upgraded. The one thing I would like in another virtual instrument besides the the Virus...

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 am

Im still running a duel boot G$ (the "$" was on purpose), although I run PT 7 on the OSX side. I do still use the 9 side for stuff, such as this really great old app called th0nk...

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 pm

I run a Digi 001 on a G4 800 (single processor) so after about 3 or so Bomb Factory plug-ins, I start running out of CPU.

I have the full gig of ram so I've reached my max there, but I love it and just haven't had a reason to upgrade.
I have tons of plug ins as well. That's really the expense of upgrading that I don't want to face.

My opinion is that people record to ancient analog machines, why would this be any different if it works and sounds good (other than obvious differences in sound due to platform)?

I'm running the PTLE 5.2.1 beta that gives me 32 tracks, so that helps.

Does anyone have any line on finding more plug ins for software this old? I feel like I never see them on eBay anymore. Seems like they would be cheap.

I see that the old G4's are pretty inexpensive. You could get a Digi 001 and a G4 to run it on for around $250-300. That's not too shabby for the quality you will get from it imho.

It's nice to see others are out there using this stuff. I still love it.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 pm

STILL rocking OS9 and loving it -- just thought I'd keep this alive!

jessejamietig
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jessejamietig » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:19 am

I just recently sold my G4 running OS9 and OSX in dual boot mode. The 001 I used with it served me well, and made me a lot of money, but I finally upgraded to PT HD. I do miss some of the plug-ins I had.

I was kind of sad to see it go, but it's being put to good use elsewhere.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Roll Call!

Anyone still running Pro Tools on OS9?

Happy to say I still am - sold as a rock

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:58 pm

moogplayer wrote:Roll Call!

Anyone still running Pro Tools on OS9?

Happy to say I still am - sold as a rock
I still have my rig at home. I don't do much work on it these days but I do like mixing some old sessions on it. I've never had a single issue with it.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Slau » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Still have a PT HD3 rig running through a Magma chassis both on an old 9.2.2 system and switchable to an MBP running Lion. Long story why I need to keep one foot in OS 9 but, yeah, for the most part, it's truly solid.