Loopers:EH 2880, Digitech Jamman, electrix repeater, boss...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:08 am

I went ahead and got an EH-2880. I will be posting a review of it on this thread after I've had a little more time with it. Fun!

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Anyone have/get a Boomerang III? Curious how it compares to the older models sound quality wise?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Wow, that does look nice. 20 bit, four loops, synched or freewheeling. No saving those loops at shuttoff though.

apropos of nothing wrote:I went ahead and got an EH-2880. I will be posting a review of it on this thread after I've had a little more time with it. Fun!
He says in 2006. This is gonna be some review!! :wink:

and this looks killer:

"this is the schumann PLL, serial number 4, handmade by john schumann at main drag music in brooklyn, well before he started making them with outsourced PCBs (which are still hand-assembled by jon). i was scared of this thing for a while, but i'm using it more now.

i know i can't explain what this pedal does very well, but...

you start with a basic square wave fuzz, controlled by the pre-amp and wave shape, and mix the level of that with multiplier and divider waves, for each you set an interval and level. the mult and div are both on a "loop track", which somehow voltage controls pitch and volume of those two tracks. the sensitivity of those tracks is defined by the trigger level, and their decay is defined by the loop speed, lag time, and response.

got it? ok. me neither.

the end effect is that as you play hard, you have this thick three-part harmony with the mult and div kind of dancing under your part as you play harder or softer. when you stop playing or quiet down a lot, the voltage decreases and the loop kind of "releases", beginning a wind down that can sound like anything from a square wave on a tremolo to a 2 minute long decaying air siren.

the external footswitch allows momentary on or off of the mult, div, or both. there's another footswitch available for it which allows you to lock in two drone notes that don't decay. i thought about picking that up, but the last thing i need right now is to spend $200 on a pedal for my $550 pedal.

i don't have any good recordings of it, but should make some, as there are none out there that i can find.

also of note, they are mostly unavailable now, jon has kind of been somewhat MIA for the last year while taking care of some unspecified business in some unspecified location. (too bad, cause one of the big rotary switches in mine is kind of half-broken, and jon is really the only guy i want poking around in there)."
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:49 pm

3 head cassette deck with the motor wired to the headphone jack so you can footswitch it. Take a cassette apart and make a short 5-6" loop using scotch tape to splice.
press record.
Works excellent if you can pick up one of the nice Sony, Aiwa etc decks with 1/4" mic ins and level control on the outs. With tweaking you can get it to rec/ play at almost guitar level.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:46 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:I went ahead and got an EH-2880. I will be posting a review of it on this thread after I've had a little more time with it. Fun!
He says in 2006. This is gonna be some review!! :wink:[/quote]
"No sir, I didn't like it."

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 am

i've tried a few loopers.

i couldn't get past boss' buffer.
the jamman has good features
never tried a boomerang.

my favorite, even though you can't save any loops is the stereo memory man w/ hazarai. the 2880 looks more i like a desk unit...it would be really cool if they developed a hazarai sized looper with the ability to save loops.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by billkahler » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Boss looper sucks. It stutters when you stomp to go directly from record to playback - how is that useful in a live situation? I had 2 of them.

Akai is OK but short.

Jamman is pretty cool.

My two cents.
Last edited by billkahler on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

austingreen

Post by austingreen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I have a boss Looper, while it does suck tone quite a bit, it doesn't stutter for me, works flawlessly. I've seen a bunch of people use it live with great results. But my guitar tone suffers with it. It's weird, like it's been through a buffer of sorts but a very terrible sounding one. B-

I also have a 2880 and I love it. It is a desk unit, the footswitch is great, but lately I use it without it. It's basically a 4-track that records to Compact Flash. And tone does not suffer. It's simple to use, it's easy to jump in and start making music, very intuitive and creative device. It also has a 5th track for bouncing, can speed up an octave or down 2, in half step increments, reverse, and each track has a fader so you can also overdub any track with any level of wet/dry. Also two inputs and two outputs and pan on each track including dry. A++
Disclaimer: I bought this while working at a music shop and got it at cost (about 50%), I don't think I would've spent that much otherwise but now believe it is worth full price.

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm

I believe I was told the Boss looper was changed somehow and the old ones did not have the stutter problem but the new ones do. Mine did and I called and spoke with Boss service and the guy there hooked his up while we were on the phne and it stuttered. He had never realized it before!
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 am

I thought I'd revive this old thread to say that I finally found a looper I actually like -- Ambiloop. Wish it supported multiple inputs, but I see why it doesn't. I'd kinda forsworn laptop looping, but its pretty good.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 pm

ambiloop is great. perfect even, in a lot ways - except that it's windows only.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

Definitely going to pick one of these up. One button.
In tandem with a repeater I'm thinking.

24 bit, up to 5 minute loop.
looks like it'll be about $130 street.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am

shedshrine wrote:http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

Definitely going to pick one of these up. One button.
In tandem with a repeater I'm thinking.

24 bit, up to 5 minute loop.
looks like it'll be about $130 street.
Perfect. I'm definitely going to let go of the Digitech JamMan Stereo that is over there collecting dust for one of these. This is honestly all I need. If it did reverse as well it would be PERFECT, however this in combination with an EHX Freeze pedal will be awesome for weirdo FX/loops.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

woah, EHX did an updated 288o..

http://www.ehx.com/products/45000_

and foot controller..
http://www.ehx.com/products/45000-foot-controller
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 am

Be nice if they told you what differentiates it from the previous model on that page.

Also like to mention I've been using the KP3 looper a bunch lately, and love it in exactly the way that I failed to love the 2880.

KP3 side commentary: I was mentioning to a friend that it only really does 4/4. Being that she's a classical oboe-ist, vocalist and music teacher, it was predictable and still very funny when she said, "USELESS."