Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

storstygg
audio school

Studio tour: A look at XXXChange's home studio

Post by storstygg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:18 am

Another cool studio talk and tour from Motherboard TV

http://www.motherboard.tv/2009/12/23/el ... -territory

I have frankly never heard of this guy, but if he's done remixing for Thom Yorke, I am impressed. He has some cool riffs and techniques.
Rocking it.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Studio tour: A look at XXXChange's home studio

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:23 pm

storstygg wrote:Another cool studio talk and tour from Motherboard TV

http://www.motherboard.tv/2009/12/23/el ... -territory

I have frankly never heard of this guy, but if he's done remixing for Thom Yorke, I am impressed. He has some cool riffs and techniques.

Okay, so after I home invassion rob Moby of his vintage drum machines I will have to cat burglar this guy for his EMS and his Arp.

He's kind of a twitchy weirdo eh?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: Studio tour: A look at XXXChange's home studio

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:30 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Okay, so after I home invassion rob Moby of his vintage drum machines I will have to cat burglar this guy for his EMS and his Arp.
That's kindof not even funny. I had a prof in college (History of Rock, of all things) who had a puff piece done about him in the college paper about how cool his record collection and stereo was. They published his motherfucking address in the piece (student journalist)! He came home from work that day and found his front door laying in the center of his living room. His Nakamichi Dragon tape deck and about half his vinyl missing. The cops told him that the sad thing was that they were probably going to sell his tape deck for $25 in some alley in Eureka. I guess you can probably get those nakamichi's for $25 now on eBay, but back then they were $1000.

Theft is lame. I almost wouldn't mind theft so much if it was a 2-way street. If every once in a while someone broke into your car and installed a subwoofer or something, but it's always just take-take-take and it feels like such a violation when it happens, even if it is just material possessions.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Eureka? Portland? I live in Oakland Ca, and could tell you stories about the thefts I have been victim of that would make your hair curl. Like when I turned 30 and went out boozing it up, get home the next afternoon to find my door kicked in and my DAT machine, CDs and bag of brand new socks gone. Theives missed my bass guitar though! Or the number of cars I have had stolen, or simply had the window broken so they could steal my battery. The dozens of bikes I have had stolen. dogs I had stolen. Gear I had stolen when loading out.
I got my lumps buddy! And besides, the Moby video made me do it. He brags about not even using all those drum machines anymore, they are just there for show.
Heck I think Iam gonna go rent a uhaul and export some Oakland crackheads to portland.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm

When people twitch when listening to music it freaks me out a little bit!

There's no way a girl lives with him. That place is a mess. Instead of spending $20 on a bunch of umbrellas maybe some desktop racks would be a good investment.

Zero Zero was a cool band, that's cool he played with them.

I really like how that type of music is created. I don't really listen to it except for Four Tet, RJD2, Go! Team, Brazilian Girls where there is still live instruments being played and pop song structure is involved. Sometimes I wish my mind worked that way, because it would be fun to make music in that fashion.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:21 pm

seriously... they show the neighborhood, the street number, front door and his apartment number. dude better reinforce that door and get a shotgun. that show needs to invest in some blur technology or some cameramen with more discretion.

I haven't listen to my Zero Zero record in forever... this made me pull it out. it also makes me want to make more electronic stuff. i used to do a decent amount of sample-based and synth-based stuff at the end of high school and beginning of college and i haven't really done that much since then. it's fun to space out on a single synth line for three and half hours.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I think its safe to say that most apartments in NYC have pretty hefty doors. The crime was unreal there for a long time, so a lot of places have steel doors with 3 or 4 deadbolts.
These days the crime has abated quite a bit. Or at least it seemed so the last 3 times I was in that guys neighborhood casually reading a paper at the cafe across the street.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Interesting to see a bit of his setup. I haven't heard of him but I liked the "psychedelic" thing he played. I kind of hate it when people say "no one knows how to play anymore". I understand that kind of comment but I don't agree with it. Also that everything is just fast paced and computerized. I know I work on computers, but my recording experience/process is FAR more related to tape, or at least to the attitude of slowing down, going with the flow, focusing, using your ears, and working on making something great. I'm not the greatest musician in the world by any means, but I can play, and I know a number of young people who are very skilled. I think there's some old soul in us that gets ignored because of the way some people are working now. I work really hard at getting takes that meet my own standards. Arrangements, sounds, just playing well regardless of instruments. And hey, I'm not that innovative, I'm not the only one working like this. I think it's really easy to dismiss that kind of thing when you're doing quickly-made computerized music. I just don't like people who are having musical success having that influence by saying things like that. I'm about 75% sure I'm looking too much into him saying that, but it's something I feel about those kind of statements anyway. Sorry for the rant.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 pm

hey you arent alone, that bothered me too.
Though to be honest some of the younger musicians I meet are less about actually having any originality and more about the idea of being a musician.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:36 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:hey you arent alone, that bothered me too.
Though to be honest some of the younger musicians I meet are less about actually having any originality and more about the idea of being a musician.
Oh absolutely. I in now way meant there's any shortage of hacks. I play rhythm guitar in a friend's project, and that friend and the bands we often play with tend to be more about putting on a show, trying their best to look crazy, show off the fact that they can play fast (and hide that they're incredibly sloppy) and pretend we're in stadiums. I play with that group because I like the music, which tends to end up making me look like an underachiever. Meanwhile I've been recording for probably seven or eight years now and never played a real show of my own stuff, sold maybe all of 15 albums. I love making music. I've a few times come to the point where I feel like I'm wasting literally thousands of dollars by improving my setup, trying new techniques, worrying about a 3:1 ratio vs. 4.5:1. Know how I cope? I play music. I guess you could say there have been times when I felt like or tried to quit. Can't. It will be a sad day in my life if that ever changes, but I don't see that day coming.