Dr Daniel Levitin

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

cfMC
pushin' record

Dr Daniel Levitin

Post by cfMC » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:55 am

Hey Larry, thanks for the interesting interview with Dr. Feelgood here. I can't imagine reading this one in any other place other than TapeOp, ha ha. I'm going to see if they have this guy's books in the lie berry. Judging from the reviews online, I'd say this subject is pretty controversial. A lot of folks think Levitin is overblown. But I guess that's a given, considering the subject matter.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Cool interview; I'll have to check out the books. [/code]
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

ElMosca
pluggin' in mics

Post by ElMosca » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm

I loved the article. So much, in fact, that I went out and bought Dr. Levitin's first book today (I'm talking about This is Your Brain on Music)

From what I've read so far, it seems like an absorbing, well documented treatise on one of my favorite subjects. What's not to love about the good Dr.?

Cheers,
++aldo

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

I read This Is Your Brain on Music a while back, but didn't know he had another book out. I'll have to pick it up. Great article too.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dbeck
audio school graduate

Post by dbeck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Yeah really enjoyed the article. I've read his first book and it was interesting to find out exactly how much of an engineer and musician he really is. I think he kind of played that part down in his first book. I'll love reading the 2nd I'm sure.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am

This article was probably one of the best I've ever read in a recording mag... THANK YOU!!! I immediately ordered Dr. Levitin's books afterwards... I can't wait to get them! Thanks again!
insert witty comment here...

lambchop
audio school graduate

Post by lambchop » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 pm

He's actually a pretty interesting guy. Maybe a slight bit impressed by himself, but I'm fairly certain most people would be if they experienced as much as he did at his age. My son gave me a copy of his book as a Xmas present two years ago which I read. He teaches at his school and we got a chance to hear one of his lectures two summers ago.

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Dr. Daniel Levitin

Post by lonesomeaudio » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:29 am

What a great article to find in this issue of TapeOp. I try to find out as much as I can about a subject if I'm interested in it and I'm sure thats how most of our peers operate. I think most people in the audio community end up becoming way more than just engineers and players and become electricians, carpenters and interior decorators but to get beyond the gear and wiring and learn a little about how our brains actually perceive and react to sound is a concept that blows my mind...literally. Now if I only knew what neurons fire when my mind gets blown. Guess I'll have to invest in a few books and learn up on my brain.

Thank you so much tape op crew, it has been nice to bring something like this to Christmas parties instead of how the recapping of a console is going!
"That's no moon"