let's talk spring reverbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hautacam
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hautacam » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:14 am

I dig the BX-10 a lot, it is a great sounding box. I almost snagged a BX-20 with a spare BX-20 for parts off of craigslist a couple years ago but it was a couple hundred miles away and I was unable to get down in time.

I had a stage spring reverb for a while, it was kind of piece of crap but in a good way.

Hamstertronix
audio school

Post by Hamstertronix » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi there, this my first post on here:

I can't go past the Korg GR-1 gated spring reverb rack unit. I love this thing, and I've had it for about 17 years... still running smooth and sweet.

Cheers,

James.
Hamstertronix, for Warm, Fuzzy audio

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:16 am

I just picked up a Biamp spring. Not quite the Sound Workshop I was wanting (very hard to find), but for a hundred bucks I'll give it a shot.....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:22 am

Hamstertronix wrote:Hi there, this my first post on here:

I can't go past the Korg GR-1 gated spring reverb rack unit. I love this thing, and I've had it for about 17 years... still running smooth and sweet.

Cheers,

James.
Welcome to the board...
Do you have some pictures of that thing? I know OF it, but I have never used it... I am interested...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 am

Never mind... got it:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... everb.html

Cool!

I am gonna have to check one out.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 am

I know your don't do the Evilbay Joel, but I passed this one on my way to the Biamp this morning in the digital shopping mart:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Korg-GR-1-S ... 2304a800bd

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 am

losthighway wrote:I know your don't do the Evilbay Joel, but I passed this one on my way to the Biamp this morning in the digital shopping mart:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Korg-GR-1-S ... 2304a800bd
thanks for the heads up!
it may be worth it on such an inexpensive item... ---- hmm....

Hamstertronix
audio school

Post by Hamstertronix » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi, sorry I didn't reply straight away, but here's a pic of my Korg GR-1 in my rack from a couple of years ago (have more gear and a bigger rack going on now).

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220 ... 0002-1.jpg
Hamstertronix, for Warm, Fuzzy audio

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 am

My Biamp spring showed up right before yesterdays session. I was monitoring vocal playback using a send to the spring. It sounded really cool. The verb was pretty long, even when I wasn't driving the spring too hard, you could hear it on quiet sections resonating for a good couple seconds after the note.

Sounded great with some limiting in front of it for consistent reverb, or without to get that almost gated sound where something loud happens and echos, but the quieter stuff sounds more dry.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm doing all my reverbs with a spring reverb tank from Peavy 5150 right now. Chain: Aux out - Bass amp input, (or FX return), - out of speaker outputs from the bass amp - into reverb tank - out of tank into channel on board - (I usually eq the aux send AND the returned reverb signal on the board) - into delay unit for pre-delay, (delay to taste) - into comp - sidechain the original elements to clamp down on the reverberated signal a bit, (to keep it out of the way of the original signal & allow it to "creep in" naturally, as well as using the sidechain to gate the verb so that the gate closes after the source gets quiet, not the verb itself) - Run through in realtime, print one track for stereo Left, another for Stereo Right, done.

Get it really cranking if your into that "boingy" sound, or make it smooth for a more natural approach. Awesome.

Screw digital/synthetic verbs. Real algorythms are far to complex & detailed to "emulate". I don't use them unless I want it to sound fake.
:twisted:

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 am

I have used this box for Dub Reggae a couple of times, strangely to me it only sounds good when I smack the crap out of it.

:hammer:

BOOIINNGG!!!
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

nortstudio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nortstudio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Another vote for the Furman single rack space unit. best $90 we spent. No idea what they go for now.

I also have a great stand alone box (not as big as an amp-top type model) called a Lafayette that I love. More "kooky" than a straight spring - but has a great sound.
"If you've never f*#ked up a punch - you ain't working." www.freqControl.com

Morgan R. Koren
studio intern

Post by Morgan R. Koren » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

Just got a Vesta Fire RV-1 today for $119 Cdn. I only had a chance to try it on a guitar through some crappy Samick amp. Sounded like God.
So I guess my Fostex 3180 is now for sale. :lol:

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm

i am using an accutronics reverb tank pulled from an old polytone and WOW!!! how cool and boingy that tone is. needs a bit of tweaking to make it multipurpose, but that boing of the spring is hard for digital to copy.

rich

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 am

rty5150 wrote:i am using an accutronics reverb tank pulled from an old polytone and WOW!!! how cool and boingy that tone is. needs a bit of tweaking to make it multipurpose, but that boing of the spring is hard for digital to copy.

rich
i'm about to buy an accutronics reverb tank and try this. i'm considering screwing it down to a 19" piece of plywood to make one of the ugliest pieces of rack gear around.

i had an idea to wire two different models (short decay and long decay i guess) together, with a knob to blend the two (far left sends all the signal to one tank, far right sends it all to the second tank, middle is both, etc). i'm not quite savvy enough to put it together, but it seems like a simple way to get more flexibility out of these things.