Opinions on Earthworks Mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Opinions on Earthworks Mics

Post by Huntlabs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:27 pm

I want a nice clean / clear stereo pair to use mainly on classical guitar. Also for some high quality stereo recording.

Can anyone give me some thought on Earthworks mics? I'm looking at a matched pair but not sure I want that flat and clean.

Thanks.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

The omni pattern of most of them will be the biggest difference. Aside from that difference, which can either be good or bad, I think they're great mics for recording acoustic sources. I've got an M23 omni (their cheapest measurement mic) for live sound system tuning, and just fooling around used it to record myself playing acoustic guitar and singing. The result sounded really good, with basically no time spent testing different placements or anything.

chumford
audio school graduate

Post by chumford » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 pm

I did a recording with a mono pair on a drum kit over 10 years ago and recall them being so clear and lifelike I have been tempted since, they sound unique for sure, I'd love to try them with their pr$amp.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 am

I've had a pair of TC30K mics for a number of years, and love them on all sorts of sources. On the floor for a boundary mic kind of application, over a kit, as room mics in odd places (like stuffed into a 5 gallon plastic water jug in front of a raging amp). Here's the thing with them though...they are extremely honest about the sound they capture. If your room sounds bad, the mic WILL hear it and present that badness to the world. But they're clean, and take a lot of SPL.

I've never used any Earthworks directional mics, only the omnis.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 am

I have three opinions on them.

Amazing. Amazing. Stunning.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 am

@?,*???&? wrote:I have three opinions on them.

Amazing. Amazing. Stunning.
+1.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 am

I have a matched pair of SR71s (Cardioid) and the 25R drum kit. I like EW mics a lot and use them on many sources.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 am

Yup. I've only used the omnis but they're beautiful sounding microphones.

jkretz
gettin' sounds

Post by jkretz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 am

i have a pair of the sr77s, great mics - but perhaps not for the reason i bought them?

i had intended to use them as drum overheads, but seemingly no matter what placement i try (glyn johns, xy, spaced pair) i really get quite a bit of high end from the cymbals. on less aggressive material they sound fantastic though. i'm doing a session for my band this weekend, perhaps i'll post some clips.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 pm

We had a pair of Earthworks omnis at the studio I worked at (dunno what version number or whether they were TCs or QTCs) and they sound amazing if you're looking for an extremely detailed, honest sound. Excellent room mics (which is what we used them for).

However, my taste has always fallen on DPAs for that type of application. Ever since I first heard the DPA 4006s I've loved them -- I just don't have the kind of room that justifies such an honest and amazing microphone.

I own the DPA 4061 kit and I LOVE to use them (http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/produc ... item=24084). I've used them for everything from drum overheads, to acoustic bass (they're KILLER on the bridge) to electric guitar. The only thing I've never really tried them with is vocals, now that I think about it -- I really should! Not a bad price for a stereo pair either, although they're not very sensitive (and not ridiculously quiet like the 4006s), but they are not noisey and are plenty sensitive for most applications. I didn't realize that there were high sensitivity (4060) and low sensitivity (4061) versions of the same mic, I'd love to hear the 4060s. Nothing that small should sound that good!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I have a pair of TC30k's and they are beautiful.
You should take a look at the avenson audio omni's as well, and the Sage bova ball microhone is amazing.

The sage and the avensons sound a bit more flattering. The earthworks sound a bit more like measurement mics.

Any of those choices are well made, incredible omni microphones.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the info. The ones I'm looking at are a pair of SR77's, cardioid. A few years old. I want something honest and detailed for classical / acoustic guitar and classical room mic.

Thanks for the input, I'll post back if I manage to get them.

What would be a good price for the pair?

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:13 pm

i had some QTC1's(?) - (i think they're called QTC40's now) at my place for a few years on loan. bought some avenson STO's as a backup for when they went bye-bye.

i had first refusal on the EW's when my pal wanted to sell 'em. they were better than the Avensons, but the avensons are damn fine, and i bought mine used fer $400 i think.

the Bova's are also awesome, and the least flat of the three IMO.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:52 pm

I tried the Avensons a few years ago and I wasn't that impressed. I sent them back. For the money I thought they were a good mic but not quite what I wanted. I want something that captures what I hear and the avensons had some color to them I didn't like. $.02

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:05 pm

I like the Avenson's; I have a pair of them as well.