the INSANE BASF 900 story

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

the INSANE BASF 900 story

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm

So I just bid on and won a reel of BASF 900 2" analog tape to have for an upcoming project that will require some MCI 2" tape machine tracking.

I won the reel for $5.25 on ebay and had to pay $20 shipping from where ever it was coming from.

This morning I opened the box from the Post Office and checked the spine- indeed, some bands former master and 4 songs on it. I opened the box and enclosed were the track sheets- which shows whoever was working on this stuff, was documenting it. Then I checked the credits on the track sheets- the producer/engineer credits are what floored me- EDDIE KRAMER!

Hilarious. I was gonna wipe these tapes and use them for another project. NOW, I have to transfer them and hear what his 'basic tracks' sound like.

Hilarious. Is this really the era we live in? With rock legends so cavalierly cast aside?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Please tell us what you find and if you can identify the band.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm

That is actually pretty awesome.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm wondering if I should disclose the band. The studio was Platinum Post in Winter Park, Florida. Google says this is Full Sail? Is that true?

Is Full Sail selling the masters or was it the band...or EDDIE?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Eddie Kramer. Could be another Eddie Kramer.
Could be a joke.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm

I would be surprised if that tape wasn't degaussed.

Is there a date on it?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

sonicmook56 wrote:I would be surprised if that tape wasn't degaussed.

Is there a date on it?

It's reel 3 of a set of many. No notes on the calibration level. I'd guess a conservative +6. It is recorded at 15 IPS.

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:09 am

You should contact the band. You may have something of irreplaceable value for them. Sell it to them for the price you paid plus expenses (unless they're dirt broke, then just give it to them). I would imagine you would want someone to do the same in your shoes.

This is the thing that sucks about buying analog tape. I've sent off a few reels in a similar situation, although I've never cared who recorded it.

= Justin

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got a reel of useless 1" 32-track digital tape that could use a transfer at least- but unless someone owns a dinosaur, I know that won't happen.

I worked at a studio that went this route selling or trashing many a 2" demo/album reel. Typically, we'd just box them up out of the 'current' tape locker and fedex them back to the major label within 90 days of the project ending.

The stray demo gigs were always up to chasing down the band or a member and getting them to either pay for the tape they used (sometimes, on a spec deal, payment for tape was waived), pick it up, or clear getting rid of it.

Not sure what happened here, but because of the engineer 'talent' in this case, these tapes are more valuable than the act that was recorded. Did Eddie do an amazing job recording this stuff? The track sheets show this was at least 4 songs in one day with overdubs. Was it his A-game? Don't know. But it will show a slice of life, one day in the life of Eddie Kramer.

btw, as side note here, the assistant engineers on this project were Cedric Booker and Alan Moon. Cedric appears to have no credits up on allmusic.com, but at least Alan Moon went on to assist on some other records.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Are there phase issues with the drums? If so, it could actually be THE Eddie Kramer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 am

If this is what I think it is, then I used to be friends with the band in question. They were selected to participate in a workshop with Eddie Kramer @ Full Sail. They got the chance to work with Eddie, and the school got to see how he would approach working with a band in the studio.

The band no longer exists, but if you want to PM me I could put you in touch with one of the former members.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 am

Crazy. TapeOp makes this a small world.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 am

Furilla wrote:If this is what I think it is, then I used to be friends with the band in question. They were selected to participate in a workshop with Eddie Kramer @ Full Sail. They got the chance to work with Eddie, and the school got to see how he would approach working with a band in the studio.

The band no longer exists, but if you want to PM me I could put you in touch with one of the former members.
Interesting. This is what I was hoping posting this would bring. I just PM'd you.

As for the tracks- I've not listened yet, but will be transferring next week. There's a mix in right now that runs through the weekend.

The track sheets do not reflect anything radical going on:

T1- Bass Drum
T2- Snare
T3- Hi/Hat
T4- Tom 1
T5- Tom 2
T6- Left Overhead
T7- Overhead Right
T8- Left Room
T9- Room Right
T10- Bass DI
T11- Bass Amp
T12- Guitar
T13- Guitar
T14- Guitar
T15- Distorted Room (gtr?)
T16- Scratch Vocal
T17- Vocal 1
T18- Vocal 2
T19- L Gtr Solo (or L Organ)
T20- Gtr Solo R (or Organ R)
T21- Vocal 3
T22- Click
T23- Blank
T24- Blank

The assistants appear to have dropped the ball on these track sheets as there is no documention of mic used, what the source actually was or date of overdub- and it appears there were overdubs. Usually those expectations come from the Producer/Engineer at the helm. Also, none of the vocal tracks are *starred* as Master Takes. If this was done quickly, there probably wasn't a composite done of the vocal tracks. There appear to have been 3 different singers in this band, no clue who sings lead until I listen.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:19 pm

cgarges wrote:Are there phase issues with the drums? If so, it could actually be THE Eddie Kramer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I was waiting for that one.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: The assistants appear to have dropped the ball on these track sheets as there is no documention of mic used, what the source actually was or date of overdub- and it appears there were overdubs. Usually those expectations come from the Producer/Engineer at the helm. Also, none of the vocal tracks are *starred* as Master Takes. If this was done quickly, there probably wasn't a composite done of the vocal tracks. There appear to have been 3 different singers in this band, no clue who sings lead until I listen.
If it was for a class at Full Sail, there likely wasn't a dedicated assistant, and probably no comping of vocal takes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/