raw black metal - critique?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

raw black metal - critique?

Post by dfuruta » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 am

I'm coming near the completion of a raw black metal album, and so I thought I'd post a mix and see if anyone had comments/critiques. The low-fi, noisy sound is intentional, but I do want it to sound good (in a blown out kind of way)!

Many sincere thanks to ampguy for inspiration on the solo. :devil:

http://www.zshare.net/download/717642638f297611/

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 pm

I'm trying to download and listen, but that site isn't letting me; it just keeps sending me on a loop that goes, "Download." "Wait 50(49..48..47..) seconds; download link will appear" then "Click here to download", which sends me to a page with a link that says, "Download." When I click on that I get "Wait 50(49..48..47..) seconds; download link will appear"...and it never stops.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 am

Just tried it, and it works for me (firefox 3.5.7). After the wait, the download link takes me to the file. But here is a link on sendspace:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7i539o

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm

It's not raw enough, I can actually hear what the drummer is doing :wink:

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I liked it! I really like the vocal sound you got. Did you have white noise going through out the whole song or was that just the buzz from the guitar amp?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words! The noise is just amp hiss?in the past I have put down a layer of static, but the buzz from the amp was enough this time around. The vocals are a combination of screaming into a ribbon mic and digital distortion.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 am

Sounds good! The vocal sound is great, and the white noise (amp noise? really? it's great!) is perfect. I don't remember being able to pick out the bass, so you were right on there. :D The guitar tone threw me for a loop at first: mid-heavy, relatively articulate guitar and black metal don't really go together in my mind, but I liked it by the end of the song.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Reminds me more of Cherubs, Stick Men With Ray Guns and that sort of thing than black metal, but it sounds cool. I dig the low fi vibe you've got going on there.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Corey Y wrote:Reminds me more of Cherubs, Stick Men With Ray Guns and that sort of thing than black metal, but it sounds cool. I dig the low fi vibe you've got going on there.
Definitely have a punk influence on this song!
Last edited by dfuruta on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I could do with less of the white noise on that other song, but it sounds cool otherwise. It seems like it dies down or at least gets consumed by that haunting guitar melody past the 1:00 mark, I like the that.

I'm in the middle of mixing the first recording for the band I play bass in and we've got one song that has some of this sort of influence to it. To a degree at least, I definitely wouldn't call it "black metal". I was considering playing with a couple lo-fi mixes on that. Maybe reamping some of the instruments or something to get a weird, gritty, "deep in the cave/woods/dungeon" type feel to some of the parts.