Black Sabbath In The Studio Info??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

30Peak
pluggin' in mics

Post by 30Peak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:53 pm

I keep a bucket of rags right next to the tape deck for just such reasons.

True story.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Paranoid sounds awesome to me.

johnchuckalumba
audio school graduate

Post by johnchuckalumba » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:46 am

Teacher's Pet wrote:Image
The tiles on the wall, is this regular perforated sheet board or a specific diameter ?plus.. is this a type of helmholtz resonator? saw one one an old picture of keith moon in the studio.. drums sound great.. does anyone know any details on this device?
john

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am

That looks like just plain old-school 12" ceiling tiles to me. I really want to do up my studio in them, and they are still available:

http://www.silentsource.com/ceilings-ac-woodfiber.html

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 am

yeah those are just ceiling tiles. not really what you want for the studio as they only absorb frequencies around the speech area (high mids), which are not likely to be nearly the problem that low mids and low end are. you're much better off with loads of 703.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm

True, true. I dp think a combination would be the ticket. And in every old 60s picture I see of a recording studio, the walls are at least partially covered in those tiles. Like United/Western, Gold Star, Columbia NY, etc etc... It's by far the coolest looking acoustic treatment. It worked fine for that Sabbath session!

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 pm

I completely agree that they are the coolest. Please, someone justify their meager acoustic properties so I can get a box! I already have a 12 x 12" grid ceiling.

Especially these, with the offset holes - retro awesome:

Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:yeah those are just ceiling tiles. not really what you want for the studio as they only absorb frequencies around the speech area (high mids), which are not likely to be nearly the problem that low mids and low end are. you're much better off with loads of 703.
And that might be the secret of why the vocals would sit well in the mix... the instruments had less of those frequencies... hmmmmmm....
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 am

i have maybe a hundred of those tiles in the few spots in my loft where the drop ceiling remains. any of y'all are welcome to them, but you have to come and remove them yourself, get rid of all the nasty old insulation behind them, and replace them with some nice fresh sheetrock. which you will also be installing, mudding, taping, and painting yourself. i will be sitting nearby the entire time, not helping at all but expecting you to continually regale me with interesting stories and anecdotes from your life.

first come first served!

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 am

noeqplease wrote:And that might be the secret of why the vocals would sit well in the mix... the instruments had less of those frequencies... hmmmmmm....
That's all the justification I need! I'm getting rid of my OC703 tomorrow!

They look so cool I'm almost serious.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i have maybe a hundred of those tiles in the few spots in my loft where the drop ceiling remains. any of y'all are welcome to them, but you have to come and remove them yourself, get rid of all the nasty old insulation behind them, and replace them with some nice fresh sheetrock. which you will also be installing, mudding, taping, and painting yourself. i will be sitting nearby the entire time, not helping at all but expecting you to continually regale me with interesting stories and anecdotes from your life.

first come first served!
I just bought my plane ticket. See you in 6 hours. :wink:

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am

wait, you guys are all kidding right?

I need to start drinking coffee again.

here and I thought egg cartons were the thing.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

i'm drinking enough coffee for both of us and i can't believe these guys think those crappy ceiling tiles look cool.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:20 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'm drinking enough coffee for both of us and i can't believe these guys think those crappy ceiling tiles look cool.
I also think Falcon station wagons, avocado green appliances and old Sonor teardrop drumsets look cool. So, basically, anything a normal person thinks is uncool is right up my alley.

You're of course right about the 703.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

this thing is so ugly it is almost cool, i'll give ya that.