Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

busman audio mikes

Post by tdbajus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Any fans out there?

http://www.busmanaudio.com

Stuff seems too good to be true- i'd be pretty psyched to get a nice sounding stereo ribbon for $300.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:27 pm

If Billy Mays were still with us, he'd be their spokesman. I can hear him shouting about those mics now.... (I think it's the logo and orange mic body)

I dunno, a $300 ribbon seems like a fruitless endeavor to me. Sure it's a simple thing to make, but the execution is expensive for one that sounds good. Not "sounds good for what I paid for it", but actually sounds good regardless. I think ribbon mics start to be viable around $700 with the Beyerdynamic and AudioTechnica offerings.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

I only have one ribbon, a Fathead 2/lundahl, and I enjoy using it far more than I enjoyed the one time i do a session for a friends and being miked with one of the much vaunted $1K Royers.

I'd really like to do that shootout, actually.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

I don't know anything about this company, but when I see a paragraph like the following, with many and egregious typos, it doesn't inspire confidence. I know poor grammar and translation are ubiquitous nowadays, epsecially on the internet, but it still makes me grumpy.

"If you are looking for a variable microphone, you shall reduce distortion form high sound pressure levels and eliminate unnecessary low-end frequencies. The BA-T7 tube condenser microphone is a perfect choice for you. The BA-T7 features nine different polar patterns remotely selectable on its custom power supply for ultimate versatility in use and ease of operation: omni-directional, cardioid, figure-8, and six intermediate stages. Its tube preamplifier circuitry uses the jan long plate 12ax7 vacuum tube. A full-bodies sound and a warm tone that is characteristic of vintage microphone. Furthermore, two slide switches are located below the head grille: low frequency attenuation switch and sensitivity attenuation switch. The BA-T7 is an advisable choice for any professional studio, concert halls and stage amplifying."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 am

To my eye they look like the usual Chinese import fare...if you buy a freight container of 'em, the factory will put your logo on them.

Compare them to the offerings from Apex and Avant...the pencil condenser looks mighty similar.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Looks like another guy who is importing chinese mics and modding them. Cool!

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Busman is a well-known in the concert recording scene where he has devotees of his orange-painted, Chinese mics which are the same as the $49 Nady CM-90 etc. Its a "tribe" thing.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:04 pm

I love how the orange/yellow is the same factory VW paint from back in the day.... :-)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: busman audio mikes

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:14 pm

tdbajus wrote:Any fans out there?

http://www.busmanaudio.com

Stuff seems too good to be true- i'd be pretty psyched to get a nice sounding stereo ribbon for $300.
I am a fan now, but only because at the bottom of their page, it states:

"Assessories"

For their aCCessories.

LOL

Maybe they do sound good, but I've never witnessed them in the wild... does Chris allow loaners for testing?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:22 pm

yeah Chris should throw some TOMBers a bone and send a couple of loaners out some we can get ears-on. this would be the crowd to market to, I suppose.

totally love the color, actually, but for some reason I love the stock MXL 67G colors (as do my artists), so I guess I'm probably in poor taste.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number