What are some good relatively cheap overhead mics?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

What are some good relatively cheap overhead mics?

Post by vivalastblues » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:50 pm

I have a couple of these 'Legend' LDCs that I spent $150 each on. But they sound kinda shit in a not-cool way. Can anyone recommend anything in a similar or a bit more expensive price range? It doesn't have to be condensers, in fact probably better not to be.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 pm

It can be one microphone too, like an omni or something. Doesn't need to be two.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

A pair of those tiny condenser mics from Naiant or Karma probably. They tend to get pretty decent reviews, especially for the price point.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:43 pm

I think the Nady RSM-4 ribbon mics for $79 are very hard to beat. I love these mics on overheads.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 am

Mostly gonna be for garage and indie rock type stuff if that's worth mentioning. I'll check out the ones you guys recommended, but having a quick look people seem to say these ones are nothing more than just cheap mics? Kinda want something that is going to have some sort of nice colour or quality to it if it's going to be cheap.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:30 am

lost blues wrote:It can be one microphone too, like an omni or something.
Sage Bova Ball maybe?

Unfortunately I don't own one, but if you do a search here, and elsewhere, I doubt you'll find a bad word about them.

I would also suggest looking into a Shinybox ribbon mic, or a Beyer M160 (they're usually listed for like $700, but you can find them for less).
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 am

I have a Bova Ball and use it as a mono overhead regularly. I couldn't give that mic enough of a good endorsement. Whether you consider it relatively inexpensive I don't know, but it's definitely worth the price.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 pm

JWL wrote:I think the Nady RSM-4 ribbon mics for $79 are very hard to beat. I love these mics on overheads.
I use the RSM-5s, which are similar. They sound great, they sort of mellow out the cymbals in a nice way. I use them in a Blumlein configuration.
They sound really good on some guitar cabs, too.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 pm

Exactly, JV. I dig the Nady ribbons on guitars (elec and acoustic)

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Nady ribbon I love on acoustic guitar, paired w/ a condenser. on drum overheads, not so good. Did make a good room mic though. It is not colored. As an OH, I found it too roomy and neutral. It would work well for jazz, come to think of it.
What about octavas, se electronics, grove tubes, shure sm81... Wouldn't recommend the mxl's, but joly's "hidden 84" mod looks cool.
Starlab

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm

My go to OH mics are my pair of MXL 603Ss. MXL gets a bad wrap, and honestly I'm using most of their stuff that I have less and less as my mic locker grows, but the 603Ss are still unbeatable. I rarely need EQ on them at all, and use them to get most of my drum sound. I've got one Nady RSM-4 too, and I like it a lot on guitar amps, but I don't love it on drums. It has this frequency that is always higher than the rest, so if I pull that way down I can get a pretty nice, natural sound. I just don't like going to a mic that I know I will have to fix afterward when I have other options. However, the sound once I pull that frequency out is really nice, very natural. When I first got the mic I did a test with it as a room mic. I had two samples, one pre-EQ, one post, and the post sounded great, I wouldn't mind using that sound as my only drum mic in some songs. However, the 603Ss are awesome, and just barely more expensive. I don't find much else I love them on except maybe acoustic guitar or room mics, but on drums, god so sweet. I love mics I don't need to use EQ on, I can get everything great with mic placement alone. They get mixed reviews, but most of the bad reviews I've seen often end up being people's judgment against MXL, not so much that they sound bad (since they're similar to MK012s, which people also love). I've heard that they're awesome, that they're similar to the Oktava's, that they're nothing next to the Oktava's, that they beat out the Oktavas, etc., but I have very little brand loyalty, I just care what it sounds like, and they're awesome. Not an area I feel the need to upgrade any time soon, and this is the third album I've worked on since getting them.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Ok so now I'm thinking the Nadys or the MXLs.

These are what I have by the way http://www.carillonaudio.com/products/c ... xis-5-kit/ (pair)

The company changed their name from Legend to Carillon but I think the mics are exactly the same.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 pm

True, the Bova Ball is really great but I think the best deal on overheads on the cheap is a pair of used Oktava MC-012's. They used to be everywhere for $100 a piece for a mic, a 10 db pad and a cardioid capsule but now it seems they are about $150 each as I have been looking for another pair.

They sound really great as overheads, they are not overly hyped on the top end but have a very natural response, they sound great on tons of sources and when you move up to better overheads they make amazing tom mics. I would highly recommend them because they are cheap but you will likely not outgrow them for many many years.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Was really happy with my Pro 37r's, now I'm even happier with my unmodded MXL 2001's. YMMV.

As for Nady, I thought they didn't make anything that anyone would miss during the boycott?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm not sure how much they go for now, but I got a pair of Oktave MC012 years ago that I really like for overheads.