Tips for emulating tape delay?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Tips for emulating tape delay?

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 am

For a current project I need some tape delay for vocals, ideally without using plugins. Problem: I do not have north of ?500 for a Space Echo.

I do have a Memory Boy analogue delay pedal on the way. If I add a moderate amount of chorus/vibrato will this get closer to a tape delay sound?

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Re: Tips for emulating tape delay?

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:24 am

iamthecosmos wrote:For a current project I need some tape delay for vocals, ideally without using plugins. Problem: I do not have north of ?500 for a Space Echo.

I do have a Memory Boy analogue delay pedal on the way. If I add a moderate amount of chorus/vibrato will this get closer to a tape delay sound?
Thought about hiring a Space Echo / Copicat / Echoplex (or one of the newer tape delay units) just for this project / session?

Watkins Copicats are fairly plentiful (in varying states of operability!) and come up for sale for nearer ?250 if you wanted a budget alternative (and Watkins still make the tape loops)

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:38 am

Have you tried the usual send/feedback setup ? A dedicated rack delay is easier to implement here, an old Korg or Roland being ideal. Patch it in 100% wet on a desk send with the FX returning on a proper desk channel. Set to 1 feedback and let it regenerate via the send on the FX channel. You can ride the level and EQ to juggle the sound as needed, its a totally organic vibe and while its tricky to replicate any multi-head repeats, the actual sound gets you nicely into space echo territory, especially if you can send a bit of reverb from the FX return channel as well.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 am

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:
iamthecosmos wrote:For a current project I need some tape delay for vocals, ideally without using plugins. Problem: I do not have north of ?500 for a Space Echo.

Thought about hiring a Space Echo / Copicat / Echoplex (or one of the newer tape delay units) just for this project / session?

Watkins Copicats are fairly plentiful (in varying states of operability!) and come up for sale for nearer ?250 if you wanted a budget alternative (and Watkins still make the tape loops)
Yeah, I've been looking at one of those. They really vary in price on ebay though, even for ones in similar condition.

I suppose what I was asking was if I tried faking the effect with analogue delay (which I have lying around in pedal form), what would I need to add in terms of chorus/vibrato or whatever?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 am

A cheap 3 head reel to reel or a Tascam 3 head cassette can be had for pretty cheap. Those Tascams are really great for gritty slap back and they have a pitch control so you can adjust the delay speed.
If you need to stay in the box and you're working in Pro Tools look at the Massey TD5 tape delay plug in. It's great. It's very tweakable, can lock to tempo or tap delay. There's also a free Watkins Copycat VST out there that's pretty good.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 am

junkshop wrote:A cheap 3 head reel to reel or a Tascam 3 head cassette can be had for pretty cheap. Those Tascams are really great for gritty slap back and they have a pitch control so you can adjust the delay speed.
If you need to stay in the box and you're working in Pro Tools look at the Massey TD5 tape delay plug in. It's great. It's very tweakable, can lock to tempo or tap delay. There's also a free Watkins Copycat VST out there that's pretty good.
Yes to all that, and let me add this:
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=26

Sounds great and is extremely reasonably priced. I can't comment as to whether it sounds exactly like a Space Echo, as I've only used one once, but it's a very fun (and very inexpensive, especially for the quality) plugin.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:18 am

iamthecosmos wrote:
Dr Rubberfunk wrote:

Yeah, I've been looking at one of those. They really vary in price on ebay though, even for ones in similar condition.

I suppose what I was asking was if I tried faking the effect with analogue delay (which I have lying around in pedal form), what would I need to add in terms of chorus/vibrato or whatever?
Def worth a go with the delay pedal, some sort of gentle pitch modulation to simulate tape wow & flutter is gonna get you close. Vibrato might be better for that, I struggle with getting chorus to sound very 'tape like', but that chorus-y thickening might be just the job!

And I'd second that the free Watkins VST is very useful indeed if you decided to go back to the plug-in option ... :D

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:
iamthecosmos wrote:
Dr Rubberfunk wrote:

Def worth a go with the delay pedal, some sort of gentle pitch modulation to simulate tape wow & flutter is gonna get you close. Vibrato might be better for that, I struggle with getting chorus to sound very 'tape like', but that chorus-y thickening might be just the job!

And I'd second that the free Watkins VST is very useful indeed if you decided to go back to the plug-in option ... :D
Yeah, I've got their Space Echo plugin (which is okay), never really tried their Copicat even though it's free.

Nothing has come close to a real Space Echo though. I'd borrow a friend's, but it looks like we fried it on my last album by reamping too much without a Reamp box. Now I have a Pro RMP but no Space Echo. :(

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:57 am

+1 to all suggestions above. Good stuff!

Re: will the memory boy do something somewhat resembling tape delay? Yes. Set it 100% wet, bring the return back in on a new track to set alongside the dry signal. Use the vibrato setting, triangle wave, dial in the lfo depth to where you hear it detuned but not sour. EQ wise, it already has the lows and highs somewhat rolled off in a tape-like fashion. EQ further to taste if needed.

Is that a complete stand-in for tape delay? No, it's not as random/organic and the timbre is different (BBD), but it depends on how critical the application. If you want any tape delay tracking, feel free to PM me. Not spendy, and I have a lot of the classic machines.

and +1 on anything in a 3-head tape machine, reel or cassette.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:11 am

Dakota wrote:+1 to all suggestions above. Good stuff!

Re: will the memory boy do something somewhat resembling tape delay? Yes. Set it 100% wet, bring the return back in on a new track to set alongside the dry signal. Use the vibrato setting, triangle wave, dial in the lfo depth to where you hear it detuned but not sour. EQ wise, it already has the lows and highs somewhat rolled off in a tape-like fashion. EQ further to taste if needed.

Is that a complete stand-in for tape delay? No, it's not as random/organic and the timbre is different (BBD), but it depends on how critical the application. If you want any tape delay tracking, feel free to PM me. Not spendy, and I have a lot of the classic machines.

and +1 on anything in a 3-head tape machine, reel or cassette.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing. It's more that I'm looking for something different, not necessarily tape but in that vein. I've got various delays ITB but I'm a little bored of them and want something analogue and out of the computer.

Thanks for the offer of delay tracking by the way, I'll bear it in mind but with this record there's no budget!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:55 am

iamthecosmos wrote:looking for something different, not necessarily tape but in that vein.
Cool - you'll be all set with the memory boy then. It's really a great chewy delay for cheap. You're welcome on the offer!

mrb
ass engineer

Post by mrb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am

I know there is no budget, but I've found the tape echo (for vocals) i like the most is just a R2R deck in repro. This can be any budget model with three heads, not really matter aligment and stuff. If it has varitone or a couple of speeds you can choose different delay times.
I actually got an cranky Echoplex (EP-2) and it has a lot of warble, specially with vocals. It's like a delay+chorus+flanger. As Dakota said, slightly detuned (in a pleasant way), not many highs and lows.
I've used stompboxes as well, a dan-Echo for example has that hi-cut switch.
Boss dm-2 (very expensive now) has a dark sound.
Max RB

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm

I think you should be able to get kind of close using your memory man.
Try this. Patch your memory man from an aux to a free channel return. If you have a reamper, all the better. To simulate the warbly aspect of an old tape delay, use the delay knob on the MM and tweek it in either direction ever so slightly in real time as you mix down. Also, the blend knob on your MM should be all the way up (to the right). The tiniest little tweeks should be plenty in order to hear the results which should be kind of a smeary chorusy thing.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:14 pm

tommy wrote:I think you should be able to get kind of close using your memory man.
Try this. Patch your memory man from an aux to a free channel return. If you have a reamper, all the better. To simulate the warbly aspect of an old tape delay, use the delay knob on the MM and tweek it in either direction ever so slightly in real time as you mix down. Also, the blend knob on your MM should be all the way up (to the right). The tiniest little tweeks should be plenty in order to hear the results which should be kind of a smeary chorusy thing.
That's a damn good idea. I'd thought about using chorus/vibrato for any kind of tape warble but messing with the delay slightly could be cool. I had planned on using a fully wet signal for the reverb and keeping the dry vocal in the computer. I'm starting to find my reamp indispensable.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, this is an awesome message board.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 am

i use this when i'm too lazy to plug in the real thing.