mci jh24 record problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

mci jh24 record problem

Post by lefuquaire » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 am

Hey everyone. I just installed a jh24 in my studio a few weeks ago, and finally got the tuchels wired up (previous owner had it wired for 1/4" plugs)
I had my tech go through the machine before I brought it in here so its been biased, calibrated, and heads relapped with about 85% life remaining.. all sounds good right?
WELL..

here's the trouble.. when i power up the machine everything records and plays back fine but after about an hour or so, the machine stops recording properly.. doesn't erase either and what is recorded sounds like weak garbled static.. this happens on ALL CHANNELS IN RECORD.. playback seems to be ok. I will be having my tech come down here to check it (eventually..) but wondering if any one out there has experienced anything similar or if you have any ideas where to start looking for the culprit

thanks all.. btw love the cover of this months issue!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm

so is that to say that if you power it down & back up that it'll record fine again for an hour or so?

-chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

lefuquaire

Post by lefuquaire » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm

hey chris, yes that's correct, if i power down and let her cool off it will record again, not sure for how long exactly but once she's warmed up, the same problem occurs. all the cooling fans are functioning, it's in a well ventilated spot, and has been quite cool down here this winter..
thanks!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:48 pm

yep- do love this months' cover (just got it today)

thanks for the info.

hit me up at cym@mindspring.com we'll find a time to talk on the phone..i have some things for you to try.

-chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

lefuquaire

Post by lefuquaire » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:51 pm

ok thanks chris, i spoke with my tech today and he suggested that i go through the audio power supply and touch up the solder joints there.. so that's where i'm starting.. will email you shortly