What fx pedal would you like to see manufactured?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

What fx pedal would you like to see manufactured?

Post by Meriphew » Thu May 29, 2003 7:38 pm

What type of fx pedal are you hoping a manufacturer will release? I'm hoping that ZVEX will put out a really warped, trippy, modulated delay pedal that has tap tempo. I know he has the lo-fi looper, but I'd like to see something in that vein but more of a delay unit rather than a looper.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: What fx pedal would you like to see manufactured?

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 29, 2003 8:03 pm

Colorsound had two fantastic pedals- the orange colored overdrive pedal and the Distortion pedal. Both were really, really essential to providing great front end to most tube amps. Another is the big ol' silver wedge shaped phaser that Maestro used to make. Are you going to be considering these for manufacturing?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 30, 2003 12:36 am

a pedal that detunes your guitar to what you program it to with memory banks and fixes you mac and cheese at the same time..

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri May 30, 2003 3:49 am

Meriphew wrote:What type of fx pedal are you hoping a manufacturer will release? I'm hoping that ZVEX will put out a really warped, trippy, modulated delay pedal that has tap tempo. I know he has the lo-fi looper, but I'd like to see something in that vein but more of a delay unit rather than a looper.
Well Tap-Tempo implies that your pedal has to be digital.

I've said it a million times elsewhere on the net... I'm an analog/tape delay junkie, and I love the Line 6 Delay Modeler. Tape Tempo, programmable, expression pedal, and pretty much all of the delay tones, including modulated delay, that I want. In the studio, I'm using T and SS Echoplexes, Space Echos, Echorecs, Memory Men, Tel-Rays and a slew of older digital delays (Korg SDD-2000 rocks!) and with all that gear, I'm using the Line 6 live. It simplifies my live rig a lot and sounds quite good as a replica for the stuff I'm using in the studio. Plus it has a 14 second looper (like a Boomerang or Jam Man.)

I'm not sure what pedal I would like to see made. I think they've made all the ones I want to own!

I'd maybe like to see E-H reissue the 16-Second Digital Delay with it's wonderful lo-fi 8-bit tone, and the old Attack Decay pedal...both for less than $300.

Roger

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri May 30, 2003 4:35 am

I put this in a different post--I'd like a clean octave pedal that gives you an octave 12 steps UP, not down. And you could tweak the higher note to detune it a bit. I wrote to Z. Vex asking about this & he said it would be hard to do analog, but the Prescription Electronics COB comes close. Anybody know of another? Maybe the Digitech Whammy does this...

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Fri May 30, 2003 4:41 am

a de-suckifier. I need that one pretty bad.

clodock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clodock » Fri May 30, 2003 5:33 am

I think Tom Waits described the perfect pedal exceptionally well in "Step Right Up"

...It will give you an errection, win the election, it's the only product you'll ever need...

hey Rodgre, I notice fulltone is coming out with a tape echo, probably expensive, but you seem like a completist in this category.
john.

clodock recording parlour and back-scratchery
chicago, IL USA
www.clydog.com

"and let them scratch where it itches" - Dante

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri May 30, 2003 9:16 am

Check out the Schuman pedals. Available through Main drag music in Brooklyn,NY.
John is a pal of mine, and he just made us a SICK distortion pedal.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri May 30, 2003 9:25 am

The Make-My-Solos-Sound-Like-Brian-May Pedal would be great. It is really similar to the De-Suckifier.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri May 30, 2003 11:18 am

Where I'm from such an effect would be called a Total-Suckifier!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri May 30, 2003 11:28 am

i want them to make a battery powered guitar mount kaos pad with a bunch of pitch doo-hickies.
boobs are life's fountain

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Fri May 30, 2003 11:29 am

there was one pedal i remember in the mid to late '80s. I think it was called a Wizard distortion. It claimed that it was pick attack sensitive. The harder one played on the strings the more distortion it would produce. I saw it in a Guitar World type mag in a products review. Never saw it again. I have been looking for that thing since its inception. It was round like one of those Hendrix fuzz tones or whatever.

I would think that it would have worked great to play guitar leads or different tones for differnet parts of a song.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri May 30, 2003 12:24 pm

bobbydj wrote:Where I'm from such an effect would be called a Total-Suckifier!
Yeah, it used to be called that here too, but then all of the cool kids started liking Queen. They got rid of their All-Stars and button-downs, got haircuts at real barbers, got jobs doing real work, got personalities. Now they all have girlfriends (or boyfriends). Everyone is alot happier.
But next week, they'll be on to something else. Styx, maybe? Jazz-Fusion? Ranchero? Who knows...

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Fri May 30, 2003 12:59 pm

hey joel,
right on w the schumann pedal. i got one of his new PLL pedals a couple months ago and it's a new world now. i love it! top guy too. he custom made a few pedals for me a while back, just stuff we dreamed up, like one w a momentary footswitch that induces feedback on a secondary signal chain and gives you a resonant filter to shape it, then a germanium booster on a momentary footswitch after that. also CV'd my memoryman and it has a whole new life as well. the PLL is rad though, unlike anything i've ever heard.
-scott m

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri May 30, 2003 1:10 pm

You know, what's weird is that no one ever developed a really small tape-echo pedal. After all, the whole walkman thing got tape players right down to tiny-sized. Now, you may say 'but cassette format would never create anything resembling decent echo - you'd need 1/4" etc.'

But that's not true 'cos like I said on the other pedal/delay thread there used to be a box over here in the UK which was a funny looking thing (I forget the manufacturer but it was someone crappy like Front Line, or JSH - whatever) and it was essentially a paupers' Copy Cat (which itself was a poor persons' Space Echo). However, despite all this lo-fi-ness, this little unit used to make some very, very nice noises - quite up there with the Copy Cat IMO.

It didn't however use 1/4" format. Instead it had these weird little cartridges that you plugged in. They looked like those things you put in DX7 synths or whatever. Except inside was a small loop of tape, I think. Now, that tape must've been cassette format - 1/8".

Of course, digital came along and before anyone knew what was happening echo and delay suddenly sounded like it was being generated from within a miniscule operating theatre, so clinically clean were the results.

So my suggestion is for little pedal sized unit that uses tape to make nice echoes and delays. 'Cos I think it could be done for not very much dough at all these days. Never mind all this physical modelling poo, or whatever it's called.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)