How I built my bass traps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

those really look great... I sort of half-assed my bass traps with surprising results.

I used 3' wide office cubicle sections with OC glued to the wall side. I attached them to the corners with about a 3" gap. It worked really well...

Yours look way nicer and probably work better...
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ - Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Pretty nice. Here's old project of mine. I like light frame designs :).
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:05 pm

I have a question:

I was gonna build bass traps and reflection panels out of OC 703.

Are 6" deep bass traps overkill? Are 4" deep panels for the wall overkill? Should I just go with 4" traps and 2" panels?
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:25 am

Not overkill at all, with a caveat.

Bass trapping is all about individual trap effectiveness (so the thicker the trap, the more effective at lowest frequencies), AND coverage area in the room. So, if you have a limited amount of 703 it's better to use 4" traps in corners and 2" traps at reflection points and maximize your coverage area.

If you have a good supply of 703, then by all means add another slab to all the traps, and use 6" traps in corners and 4" traps at reflection points; this will definitely work better, given the same coverage area in the room.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks, dude. I haven't bought any yet, but I did find a pretty cheap supply of it so if it comes down to it I will go for more panels vs thicker panels.

Also, the fabric? I've heard conflicting things about it. Some people say you should be able to feel air when blown through it with little resistance- others say there should feel some resistance so you know it will trap the insulation fibers in. I was going to go with burlap but then stared to think that might be too porous.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 am

Honestly I don't think fabric matters that much. As long as it doesn't seal up tight and prevent air from getting in it will work. I've used burlap, canvas, muslin, old bedsheets from goodwill, and I've never noticed much of a difference.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 am

I use burlap, but pre-wrap the 703 with a thin layer of weedblocking cloth to prevent fiberglass shed.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:56 pm

These bass traps are very similar to how I built mine, even the same color of fabric. I used Ultra Touch instead of fiberglass and just built wood rectangle frames (no hole in mine though), used some spray adhesive to get the floppy ultra touch to stick to the frame, then wrapped red fabic around the frame really tight to hold it all together.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 am

Treated my room! 2x 6" bass traps, 1x 4" bass trap (in the back corner), and 4x 2"reflection panels. I built wooden frames around the 6" traps and the rest I just hot glued the fabric around the panels. I'm going back and remixing some older songs now.