Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
dwlb wrote:
mjau wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:gunshots and Wilhelms, looks like a pro production.
Ha! I just used the "red-tailed hawk" sound in a show. Director is getting a big kick out of it, as it's supposed to be an eagle. I'm all clich?s this season!
This drives my wife, a PhD student in ornithology, insane. Especially when it's a North American show with European birds in the background, or vice versa.
I'm certain it does. As much as every time someone steps up to a microphone in a movie there's a short burst of feedback when they start talking, as if every live sound guy in the world is incompetent. That's what's great about the movies: at least one maddeningly inaccurate thing about every subject!
God that's funny how people have different perceptions. I always mentally blame the talent for bad mic technique when that happens, not the sound guy. I thought they usually do that to indicate that the person isn't a good/seasoned public speaker.
To be honest, I think it's much more simple than that--I think they're saying "hey, this person is speaking over the PA now."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Everything louder than everything else.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

0-it-hz wrote:Image
I'm speechless; please explain what the hell I?m looking at. :shock:

Ha!

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

That's an old and trusted friend: the original, MIDI only, Cubase.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Here's a typical day on the farm:

It's embarrassing how long it took me to figure out how to post a screenshot...

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:57 pm

The Scum wrote:That's an old and trusted friend: the original, MIDI only, Cubase.
Thanks, I thought it was the basic LCD display of some multi-track box, until I saw the 'Windows' pull down, and I was like.. :shock:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 pm

I do not label tracks with instrument names. I label them mic/pre (012grace), or mic/distance (46@16"). That way I can remember how I did what.
I know there are other ways of burying this information in a track but it's just a habit now.

raweber
studio intern

Post by raweber » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 pm

How about some Sonar love...

This is a children's choir that I recorded one child at a time...
Rob in Virginia
Music Production Blog: www.notesfromtheshore.com
Free Praise Music: www.allthingsnewminstries.org

Music is organized sound... with emotion.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

kinger wrote:Here's a typical day on the farm:

It's embarrassing how long it took me to figure out how to post a screenshot...
So you are actually using the little instrument icons in Reaper...I admit I have been tempted...but I prefer the clean look. Also it would drive me batshit that the mic icon doesn't look like the particular mic I was tracking through...same with the guitars.

I probably use PSP plugs in every song. MixPack2, specifically.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 am

So you are actually using the little instrument icons in Reaper...I admit I have been tempted...but I prefer the clean look. Also it would drive me batshit that the mic icon doesn't look like the particular mic I was tracking through...same with the guitars.

I probably use PSP plugs in every song. MixPack2, specifically.
For a quick and easy solution, you could sell all your gear and replace it with items that match the icons. Just thinking out loud, here...

Yeah, the cheesy little icons let me locate things more quickly. I end up using the same icons for certain things, such as Shure 55 for lead vocal, shotgun mic for overheads, etc...

I only use two PSP plugs, the vintage meter and the oldtimer and I'm completely in love with the oldtimer. For most other stuff, I use Bootsy's plugs (though my two other paid favourites are EOS reverb and The Glue buss compressor).

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:32 am

This is from a remix I did years ago, but I recently opened it actually to get some screengrabs for a presentation I was doing to some "non-music business" folks.

It's the Usher song, "Yeah" and I've put up the full-res version, with mixer window too, here:
http://pix.soundwag.com/temp/yeah-screengrabs/

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't have a screenshot of it, but when I group things in ProTools, I'll give them a corresponding letter: d for drums, o for overheads, g for guitars, v for vox, etc. Makes it easier to turn the groups on and off.

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:47 am

I just realized that the screenshot I posted was not actually my mix (I did a remix), it was from the original, album mix. Don't want to take credit that's not mine. I should dig out the remix session and post that for comparison.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 am

raweber wrote:How about some Sonar love...
I'm more partial to Twilight Zone.

:oops:
Prog out with your cog out.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Using Logic 9, this is what my arrange window typically looks like. I use colors to signify groups. For example the drum tracks will all be orange, the bass tracks will all be black, and the guitar tracks will all be gray. Sometimes I'll change it up but that is usually the colors I go with. As seen I label every track first by what is being recorded (kick, snare, bass, vocals, etc), followed by an abbreviated microphone model so I know what mic was used, or if it was DI, what type of DI I used, etc. I don't really mess around with different icons because Logic's are pretty lame, but who knows what the future holds..

That is obviously my Mixer window. I will typically have another monitor setup and place the mixer on that one. Makes it much easier jumping back and forth between the two, keeps it much cleaner, but I just make sure the window is big enough that I can see every channel strip. Sometimes when track counts get way up there it's harder to attain that, but there ya go.
Wait... where do the mics go?