Will Owsley RIP

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cgarges
zen recordist

Will Owsley RIP

Post by cgarges » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Will managed to put out one of the best albums ever made. He was a true talent.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2010 ... sley-dies/

His earlier band, The Semantics (which at various times featured Millard Powers, Ben Folds, and Zak Starkey) was astoundingly good. His first solo record was mind-blowing. It's pretty cool to have an album you recorded on a 16-track machine in your own house nominated for a Best Engineered Non-Classical Grammy. It's even cooler when that album has CRAZY-good songs and CRAZY-good playing.

RIP, Will!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 am

I just heard about this last night. My friends Josh and Paul Hager were tight with him. It's very very sad. I hear he was a real force creatively and as a person, a special one.

Bon voyage, Will. You're already missed.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 04, 2010 6:16 am

Here's a fantastic article by Will Harris which includes a clip of a live version of Owsley playing Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye," one of my favorite songs ever.

http://popdose.com/hooks-n-you-will-har ... ll-owsley/

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 am

Our paths crossed on a few occasions, including a week or so where we played guitar together on a singer-songwriter's project. I remember him being very intense, but also very generous with his musical knowledge and gracious with me as we figured out how to divide up the guitar duties between us.

When I heard last Sunday that he had killed himself I was pretty rocked. It's one thing to lose someone to a freak accident or sickness, but to know that he was in such a dark place that ending his life seemed like the only option...it breaks my heart.

I'm thankful for the brief time I got to spend with him and my heart and prayers truly go out to those who knew him better and to the family and friends he left behind.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 04, 2010 11:31 am

This is a big loss to music and sad news for his loved ones. I hope his soul/energy finds the peace he sought.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 pm

What a phenomenal musician and songwriter he was. I dearly loved both of his records. And as a father of two, I can't imagine leaving his two sons behind. I feel heartbroken.

wenley
takin' a dinner break

this sucks

Post by wenley » Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 am

I hate to hear this. My wife is a huge fan of his first record, and I remember hearing it and wondering what it was. It's pretty amazing stuff.

It's too bad he wasn't able to make more of a go of it as an artist?it's certainly not a lack of talent! I hope he is at peace and hope his family comes through this OK. Awful, awful news.

I think maybe it's time for a an anonymous Musicians Mental Health Service. I'm not sure his business troubles contributed to his state of mind, but I'm sure they couldn't have helped. What a terribly sad end to a great talent.