Sitting

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Sitting

Post by Bro Shark » Sat May 01, 2010 5:46 pm

This article supports something I've long suspected: sitting for long periods of time is bad for you. Not just bad for you in a not-exercising way; but in a health-destructive, body-damaging way. Having worked at a computer/desk every day for 10 years straight now, I've seen my overall health and energy level decline. It sucks. I hate it. I wonder if someday we'll look back on the "chair era" in a sort of "stone ages" light; a period of ignorance.

I wonder if any of you who routinely spend 10+ hour days in the studio have given this much thought, and if any practical solutions or new ideas exist. On first glance, the Swopper looks pretty cool. I wonder if there's a way to create a fully kinetic console/desk that could be raised and lowered; or maybe just a taller console that could be comfortably worked at all day while "perching" rather than sitting. Or fuck, even standing. I wonder if the world of engineering will head in this or a other new directions. Our health is important!

Your thoughts?

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Sat May 01, 2010 11:14 pm

I always try to get up and walk around while doing takes or listening back to a mix, unless I'm doing something so critical that it would be detrimental to get out of the monitors' sweet spot.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 pm

A nice chair and moving around.
Having a lot of outboard gear helps, because I have to move. the racks are too high to reach the stuff at the top from a seated position.
Yet ANOTHER way that mixing in the analog domain keeps you young and healthy!!!

(kidding, please do not let this turn into an analog vs digital or OTB/ITB debate).

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Walter Murch edits films while standing. It's something I've thought about from time to time.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 am

joel hamilton wrote:(kidding, please do not let this turn into an analog vs digital or OTB/ITB debate).
Too late, analogue rules!!! I mean, digital rules!!! Damn, now I'm confused; which one is better again?

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Fri May 07, 2010 7:30 pm

kinger wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:(kidding, please do not let this turn into an analog vs digital or OTB/ITB debate).
Too late, analogue rules!!! I mean, digital rules!!! Damn, now I'm confused; which one is better again?
I was just thinking that I'm glad I have both the tape machines and a handy Yamaha digital standalone... anyway back to the topic...

I actually have been doing some tracking and mixing and listening and such on the floor lately. It makes it easier to work with with my little kids. I typically kneel on the floor or sit on a low stepstool. Puts my floorstanding monitors right about ear level.

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I like a beverage when I spend hours recording at the computer.

Coffee, martoonies, whatever - I make me get up and get something every hour or so.

With a P-break in between, that's my exercise.

And don't larf at us bedio guys; I was 6 hours in the chair yesterday ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

YRLK
audio school graduate

Post by YRLK » Sat May 08, 2010 1:07 pm

I've always suspected that my back is sore mostly due to sitting, not exercise!

Let's all get outside and stay active!!!

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 am

I have a mini ramp just outside my studio that I can skate any time the urge hits. It's a perfect fit for my obsession with backside 5-0 grinds and optimal biasing points...plus it's a great conversation piece for bands when they take smoke breaks.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun May 09, 2010 12:06 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:I have a mini ramp just outside my studio that I can skate any time the urge hits. It's a perfect fit for my obsession with backside 5-0 grinds and optimal biasing points...plus it's a great conversation piece for bands when they take smoke breaks.
That's basically my lifelong dream right there.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun May 09, 2010 3:24 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:It's a perfect fit for my obsession with backside 5-0 grinds...
Sounds like something that happens in prison, Ouch! :D

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 am

About 4 months ago, I started taking Yoga classes twice a week. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm about to add an extra day.

Also, +1 to standing up between every take. And sometimes during takes at the end of the session. On those, I try to make sure I'm standing at the beginning of the take so that it doesn't look like I'm distracted.
Prog out with your cog out.