DAW Software Preferences

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

DAW Software Preferences

Post by slowcentury » Sat May 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I am just about to take the dive into buying some real DAW software. I have already decided I am not going to take the protools route. I have dabbled in Cubase in the past and use Ableton live on a regular basis. I just don't know what direction to take this in. Suggestions please?

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sat May 08, 2010 5:52 pm

You should take Reaper for a spin. You get the full-featured program (nothing disabled) for a 30 day trial. Great pricing, too. You get most everything you get with the expensive DAWs (except the bloated code) plus great support and updates.

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Sat May 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Logic was the first DAW I ever used, and I still use it more than any other. I learned how to use Pro Tools out of necessity, and I'm familiar with Ableton, Cubase and Reaper, but Logic is still my favorite. If you know anyone who uses it, I'd check it out. I'll admit that it's not for everyone, and a lot of people find it unnecessarily complicated, but, it's always made sense to me. I'm not sure if you're on a Mac or PC, but I'd check out Ardour as well, if you have a Mac. It's a great, open source program. Hope this helps

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun May 09, 2010 8:38 am

Pro Tools HD is my d.a.w of choice for the last 10 or so years.

You get almost universal compatibility with studios the world over. It works day in and day out. It has become a verb "Pro Tools it"...

After that, for dabbling in sound and noisemaking, Logic Pro.

Very useful set of synths and samplers, and plugins. As long as you do not use Digidesign hardware, it is quite stable.

To make both of these really work, remember to use them by themselves (no emailing / internet surfing while they're open).

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 am

These threads are always the same. Just a few categories of reply:

"I use [program x] and now that I know most of the key commands and whatnot I don't plan to switch. You should also give [program x] a try"

Or: "I used to use [program x] but there were two things about it that I didn't like so now I use [program y] which has a third thing wrong but not the first two. You should use [program y]"

Or: "I use Pro Tools even though I hate [feature/bugs a, b, c, and d] because it is still the best"

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 am

Then I (and a few others) chime in and say: Reaper is pretty much all you're ever going to need unless you are recording other people for a living.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun May 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Nuendo with 24 channels of Apogee converters.

Also, a stereo Benchmark AD/DA converter for playback and overdubs.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sun May 09, 2010 1:44 pm

so you've used ableton live, a good money saver would be to get ableton live intro $99 and also get reaper $60 and use both.
is it beer 30 yet?????

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Sun May 09, 2010 6:17 pm

yeah i use ableton 4 on a regular basis but I want to get something that is more of a dedicated recording program. I am also thinking about switching to mac. How do people feel about Logic? How are the Logic plug ins? I have heard from that you can't run vst's in logic is this true? Are the Logic plug ins good enough to take over for the Waves plug in's I will be sorely missing?

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon May 10, 2010 7:52 am

Logic doesn't use VST's, it uses AU. Most commercially available plugs that are VST also have an AU equivalent. Waves native stuff is no exception. You probably have AU versions of whatever you're using on the install cd's.

How do people feel about Logic? In terms of sheer numbers of strong opinions, it's probably the second most loved and second most hated DAW in North America. So for every person who swears up and down that it's the best, there's someone willing to point out how it's the worst. And the Earth continues spinning.

I like Logic, but that makes no difference to your decision. I also like peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 10, 2010 8:30 am

slowcentury wrote:yeah i use ableton 4 on a regular basis but I want to get something that is more of a dedicated recording program. I am also thinking about switching to mac. How do people feel about Logic? How are the Logic plug ins? I have heard from that you can't run vst's in logic is this true? Are the Logic plug ins good enough to take over for the Waves plug in's I will be sorely missing?
Waves does have Logic compatible plugins. I use them in Logic.

That said the Logic plugins are very good now. You'll like the space Designer and the Delay Designer very much.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 am

slowcentury wrote:yeah i use ableton 4 on a regular basis but I want to get something that is more of a dedicated recording program
What feature are you missing in Live?
Prog out with your cog out.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 am

Just use whichever program you're most comfortable working in. If direct session compatibility isn't important to you, then just use the one you're already most familiar with. Most of the programs share about 99% of the features you need every day. They all do (mostly) the same things.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 am

Once you go Samplitude, you never go back.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Mon May 10, 2010 7:18 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:Once you go Samplitude, you never go back.
I haven't used Samplitude since 2000 back when i was running an Isis (pile of garbage). I have heard really great things about Sequoia.