Laptop causing numb spot?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Laptop causing numb spot?

Post by alex matson » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 am

So, here's a question I bet hasn't popped up here before - a few months ago I moved my desk, and lost my Wifi connection; since then, I've made a habit out of using my Macbook Pro a lot while lying in bed.

The thing is, after just a few minutes, numbness occurs in a certain area in my right side - a few inches below and to the outside of my right nipple. Lying in bed reading a book doesn't do it - the laptop has to be on me. My stomach, where the hot part of the computer resides, can also get a little uncomfortable, but there's a probable cause there with the heat.

Is it possible that my body is responding to some kind of radiation or other wave of energy coming from the computer? It feels almost like a tingling sensation. Could this be evidence of damage to my person?

Edit: just googled 'tingling from Macbook' and some people are saying the problem could be an improperly grounded cord. (yes, I have it plugged in, as my battery is useless.) But it's plugged in to a three-pronged outlet. Unplugging the laptop briefly doesn't make the sensation go away. Strange.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Wed May 12, 2010 1:43 am

I've sworn at different points I could feel that almost-tingling sensation from cell phones, microwaves, and x-rays. I just keep telling myself I'm making it up :-p

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Re: Laptop causing numb spot?

Post by lyman » Wed May 12, 2010 6:47 am

alex matson wrote: Is it possible that my body is responding to some kind of radiation or other wave of energy coming from the computer? It feels almost like a tingling sensation. Could this be evidence of damage to my person?

Unplugging the laptop briefly doesn't make the sensation go away. Strange.
try this: recreate the experience w/o the laptop plugged in at all. and yes i see in your edited comment that you tried unplugging it, but it sounds like you had it plugged in and the tingling set in, THEN you unplugged it. i'm saying just position the computer like you normally would with it powered off and unplugged, read a book for a bit and see what happens.

it's a different kind of troubleshooting, but troubleshooting nonetheless. i'm guessing it's just a physical issue of it pressing on a nerve or something like that. but i'm not a doctor, nor do i play one on TV.

EDIT: is there a fan in your laptop? could be causing slight vibrations when it kicks on, and those can definitely give a numb feeling....

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed May 12, 2010 11:58 pm

alex matson wrote:So, here's a question I bet hasn't popped up here before - a few months ago I moved my desk, and lost my Wifi connection; since then, I've made a habit out of using my Macbook Pro a lot while lying in bed.

The thing is, after just a few minutes, numbness occurs in a certain area in my right side - a few inches below and to the outside of my right nipple. Lying in bed reading a book doesn't do it - the laptop has to be on me. My stomach, where the hot part of the computer resides, can also get a little uncomfortable, but there's a probable cause there with the heat.

Is it possible that my body is responding to some kind of radiation or other wave of energy coming from the computer? It feels almost like a tingling sensation. Could this be evidence of damage to my person?

Edit: just googled 'tingling from Macbook' and some people are saying the problem could be an improperly grounded cord. (yes, I have it plugged in, as my battery is useless.) But it's plugged in to a three-pronged outlet. Unplugging the laptop briefly doesn't make the sensation go away. Strange.
It's more likely that you've got a pinched nerve as a result of your odd posture. Go see a chiropractor or an accupuncturist.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

millzners
ass engineer

Post by millzners » Thu May 13, 2010 6:12 am

I've read an article about this effect that people get from having electronics devices in their pockets, where they believe they are feeling the device vibrate or tingle even though the device isn't moving. Sometimes people feel the sensation when they don't even have the device in their pocket. It's apparently called ghost vibrations.

Maybe its the same thing. I doubt you can physically feel the WiFi waves, they're up in the GHz and that kind of radiation is all around us every day unless you live in the boonies.

Anyway, the control for this test would be to lay on your side with the laptop off but in the same exact position you would lay in otherwise. Put a book or magazine on the keyboard and read so you get the same effect of having your brain engaged in something and then see if you feel it. If you do it's probably just mental/posture/etc.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/articles/ ... chive0.txt

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

two words:

nipple cancer

ok I'm kidding...and I'd feel terrible if had a severe issue, but it sounds like pinched nerves or muscle strain. Get a tv dinner tray or somthing to prop your laptop on, or sit the heck up to put your back in proper alignment. Yes I do sound like your father. Your welcome.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Sat May 15, 2010 8:00 am

millzners wrote:I've read an article about this effect that people get from having electronics devices in their pockets, where they believe they are feeling the device vibrate or tingle even though the device isn't moving. Sometimes people feel the sensation when they don't even have the device in their pocket. It's apparently called ghost vibrations.
I get this all the time. Partially because my current phone has far too gentle a vibration. The first cell phone I had vibrated so hard I would jump every time it went off. It was like someone turning on a jackhammer in your pocket.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 pm

>It's more likely that you've got a pinched nerve as a result of your odd >posture. Go see a chiropractor or an accupuncturist.

Or even a non-alternative therapist who deals in real solutions.