Pro-Tools vs Pro-Tools LE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

anthonypayton
gimme a little kick & snare

Pro-Tools vs Pro-Tools LE

Post by anthonypayton » Sun May 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Talking to one of my guys about upgrading my setup. I told him I wanted to get protools because thats the industry standard. His response was if you get Pro-Tools LE it isn't really Pro-Tools. The pros don't use LE. They made LE to make it affordable for the consumer level studio. He said Pro-Tools is just Bling and that I don't need it. Unless I was going to spend $10,000 for it.

I like bling. But I don't like non-functionality. I am flirting with getting pro-tools. I am looking at a lot of different set ups. Different pre-amps compressors and such. I am looking for a setup that will let my workflow flow.

My situation now is that I was/am using the VS2480CD. It was good until I found out about computer editing. Editing with the VS takes forever. The VS2480 doesn't work with the computer. I usually have to record tracks into the VS24 and then export those tracks and import them into the computer DAW. My CPU is always shutting down when I use too many plugins or VST's
Lets say, Omnisphere, Trilogy and a SSL Compressor running at the same time. The CPU shuts down at different times. Sometimes I can run 6 plug ins other times I can be running one, click a buttom and it just bottoms out.

I have a guy at the store that wants to put me in a Pro-Tools outfit. But the guy that teaches me to mix says its a waste if its not "I guess" Pro-Tools HD.

My studio is a project studio mostly for singer/songwriters and beat making. I need drum grooves/templates so I can focus on melody writing and lyrics. EZ Drummers works great for me... I love it.

I am going to keep my reference monitors, my Korg M3 and the Axiom as a controller.

Upgrading my microphone to:
Neumann 102
AKG 414 XLS
Shure KSM 44
unless you have a better mid-level idea for Soul/R&B style vocals.

Interface/Mixer
Mackie 840i or 1640i(works with Pro-Tools) heard its not great, but I haven't found another mixer/preamp/interface around that price.
Need more suggestions of interface with good pre-amps and firewire

Pre-amps
Haven't decided :cry:

Questions:
1. Whats the difference between HD and LE.
2. How would it compare to lets say logic 9
3. If I got a Pro-Tools set up with a Mac Pro or a Mac Book. To record myself and a few local artists what will my list of things to purchase look like.
4. If I went with Logic 9 and a Mac-Pro or Mac Book what would my list look like
5. I use a lot of VST's and Plugins. Does Pro-Tools come with as many plugins and VST's as Logic 9.

I don't mind the learning curve. I have learned my way around... Reason, Nuendo, Ableton, FLStudio. Thats probably why I am not great at any of them. Though I love Ableton... Love it... But like I said, too many plugins or the wrong combination of plugins and the CPU shuts down...
There is no instant gratification in preparation. The reward is being prepared for the opportunity.- ME

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pro-Tools vs Pro-Tools LE

Post by Dakota » Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 pm

anthonypayton wrote:My studio is a project studio mostly for singer/songwriters and beat making.
My 2 cents, hopefully helpful: PTHD may be debt-inducing overkill for your specific needs. Suggestion for both PT compatibility and very fine audio quality: get a black lion audio signature series mod for an 002r or an 003r. Save the money otherwise spent on entry PTHD, treat your room, get a well rounded set of mics, pres, comps, and real-time keyboards.

Shure SM7 or SM7b is a mic you'd probably find useful for R&B.

anthonypayton

Thanks Dakota

Post by anthonypayton » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Every tip is helpful. Now excuse my lack of knowledge. I looked up the the Black Lion Audio 003. This looks like an interface or a preamp... so I would use this with Pro Tools LE... is it compatible with Logic 9?
There is no instant gratification in preparation. The reward is being prepared for the opportunity.- ME

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Sun May 16, 2010 11:53 pm

good records can be made on any format.

in fact, i know tons of professional records where basics were cut in major studios on HD, while vocals and ODs cut elsewhere with LE.

that being said, there are differences between LE and HD:

- mix buss on HD sounds better. still sounds like ass to me, but there is a difference.
- HD has delay compensation, LE does not.
- plugins sound better on HD but are more expensive.
- outputs are fully balanced with HD, pseudo-balanced on LE.
- possible track count limitations, altho you'll experience this one way or another via I/O.

explore the options and make an informed decision that best suits your needs.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon May 17, 2010 12:04 am

2) Logic sounds more round and deeper. more 3D. PT is flatter but punchier. hard to describe. if you can, import some CD audio and burn a ref.
3) Interface, mics ...
4) interface, mics ...
5) i think PT might have a little less than Logic, not sure. Logic plugs generally sound better than LE, altho i wish Logic had the BF76. i dunno, i rarely use plugs; they all sound the same after a while.

either way, get as much RAM as you can for your computer. you're gonna need it.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Mon May 17, 2010 11:47 am

digi003 rack or digi003+ rack are the best pro tools LE interfaces you can get. they can be made miles better by matt at blacklion audio. they are interfaces with 4 (or 8 ) preamps. they allow 8 analog and 8 digital channels and run fine with pt le or logic.
Last edited by bantam on Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

anthonypayton

Thanks guys

Post by anthonypayton » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 pm

I have been reading up on it. Its really good if it works with Logic. I think I am leaning in that direction a little.

Now do I have to buy first and send it to them or can I buy one directly from them?

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon May 17, 2010 12:23 pm

if you are going with LE and a BLA mod, then get an 002r.

they sound better than modded 003s, IMO.

anthonypayton

Thanks J

Post by anthonypayton » Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Right now Logic is up a few points because of the fact they have more plugins etc...

Thanks for the heads up though. I am taking all these posts into consideration.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon May 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Replace/upgrade your computer, get a Lynx Aurora as your interface, Logic, and a few good pres, and IMHO your money is better spent versus PT LE. Everyone here praises the BLA mods for 002/003, but IMHO unless you've got disposable income you are better off investing in quality gear versus hemorraging money to upgrade a consumer interface. 2-3 years from now if not sooner Digi will stop supporting the 002/003 and you'll be stuck with over $2k in a paperweight (if you want to keep current with your software). PT HD is definitely overkill for your purposes.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 pm

yes they could stop supporting it but it will still work. and work with logic. the aurora is a nicer option but no pres and its more expensive!

Im interested to hear how the digi002 BLA sounds better than the digi003 BLA i have the latter.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Mon May 17, 2010 1:59 pm

I work PT personally, but if your composing your own stuff as well I know a lot of guys who favor Logic to PT.

And seriously, Logic sounds "Rounder than PT"? Pt punchier?

are you saying that what I want my album to sound like will determine which software I use? Gosh, I would think Mic selection, position, and preamps, performance would come more into consideration, but you've completely changed my concept of recording!

Sorry for being facetious, the comment just tickled me. You may even have merit behind it, I just thought it was really funny.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Wagz wrote:And seriously, Logic sounds "Rounder than PT"? Pt punchier?

are you saying that what I want my album to sound like will determine which software I use? Gosh, I would think Mic selection, position, and preamps, performance would come more into consideration, but you've completely changed my concept of recording!
I assumed that poster was joking with that comment, sarcastically saying "software is software, it's just about the workflow, pick one and use it". I hope, anyway!

anthonypayton

Yeah

Post by anthonypayton » Mon May 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Keep it coming guys... I am writing all this down on my excel worksheet. Hopefully when I am ready to pull the trigger I will more educated and my studio will be functional and current. I preshiate you guys...

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 am

If I were doing it over again I would go with Logic instead of PT. Do you plan to use outboard gear in addition to plugins? Lack of delay compensation with protools is a big pain in the ass.