Selling on Bandcamp + CDBaby?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Selling on Bandcamp + CDBaby?

Post by jgimbel » Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am

I'm finishing up tracking for an album so I'm needing to get a little more solid about how I'm releasing it. Bandcamp is seeming great, as I'm planning on making this a "pay what you want" thing (hopefully people being able to get it for free if they want will help get it out there more). They have a good interface there and seem to care about what they're doing, so that's great. I released my last album on CD Baby, and I didn't really do much with it, but it's been really nice to have it on Itunes. I wanted to have it on both Bandcamp and CDBaby, so people could get it for what they want on bandcamp, but it will be available if the want to find it on Itunes. I haven't done extremely extensive searching yet but I wanted to see if anyone had an info about this. I know CDBaby (and any other company) won't let you sell your album at two places that are both providing to ITunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, etc., because you can't have two distributors or you'd get duplicate entries, and most likely deletion. But since Bandcamp doesn't seem to do digital distribution to those places it seems like it might not be breaking any rules to have the album available at both places. I'm going to do some more searching, and if I can't find an answer, email them, but I thought I'd see if anyone else already had an answer. Thanks!

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Mon May 17, 2010 7:46 pm

www.tunecore.com

That'll get you into most of the digital stores out there for around $30.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon May 17, 2010 8:36 pm

signorMars wrote:www.tunecore.com

That'll get you into most of the digital stores out there for around $30.
Yeah, I know Tunecore, thanks for the tip though. CD Baby's $35, so they're in the same range. However, just substitute CD Baby with Tunecore, is it okay to sell at both Tunecore and Bandcamp? I'm basically trying to find out if I can sell/give the album at Bandcamp AS WELL as somewhere that can be on Itunes, Amazon, all those. The only reason I leaned toward CD Baby is because I've used them before and I really like their company.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Tue May 18, 2010 4:51 am

Bandcamp and Tunecore are non-exclusive so you can sell anywhere else you want. Check out the Amazon Advantage program too. It's their small seller consignment program. That way your physical CD is available through Amazon, which often the first place people look.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu May 20, 2010 10:05 am

signorMars wrote:Bandcamp and Tunecore are non-exclusive so you can sell anywhere else you want. Check out the Amazon Advantage program too. It's their small seller consignment program. That way your physical CD is available through Amazon, which often the first place people look.
Thanks for the response. Yeah looks like that should work fine. I don't know if it'd be better to do CD Baby or Tunecore, both do similar digital, but CDBaby does physical too. We'll see!