Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon May 17, 2010 5:01 pm

I know I know, if you have to ask you can't afford them, but I still am curious...

How much are those bad boys?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm

My most recent thing is a mid-60s Harmony Sovereign:

It has some issues--dry wood, bad finish (was covered in magic marker, it's a long story) and needs a neck reset. But I have the high old hopes and it already sounds fantastic.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Burl audio B2 A/D. Totally loving it.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm

noeqplease wrote:
'73 Fender Mustang

I once repaired one of these beauties for my best friend.

Where did he get his?

IN A DUMPSTER.

No joke.
I defintely believe it, I pulled a fully functional Clavinet out of a trash pile about 7 years ago, ended up trading it in for my first electric guitar (which I traded for this last week.)
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 pm

dsw wrote:I know I know, if you have to ask you can't afford them, but I still am curious...

How much are those bad boys?
The "factory direct" price is just under $10k. He regularly sells them at Audiogon for around $7800.

A bargain at twice that price from what I'm hearing so far... If I walked into a shop and saw a $15k price tag on these, I wouldn't they were overpriced at all. Of course, if he put a "middle man" in there anywhere, they'd *be* twice the price anyway...

So in that regard, I'm really, super-ultra glad he sells direct.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 am

joel hamilton wrote:Burl audio B2 A/D. Totally loving it.
Knew you would dig that piece.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 18, 2010 7:46 pm

LaCie Blu Ray disc Burner.

24 GB on one single sided Blu Ray disc.

No more crying at backup time!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Last few months have been good, slutty.

Ashly CL52. Clean and muscular. Great LED action, great controls.

Art Pro VLA II. Yep, it's terrific for short $. Tube options, got vintage mullards (flattering to vox and low mids stuff, glowy, round-ifying), vintage rca blackplate triple mica (immediate, intense in a vivid but tubey way, rockin' vibe, wide spectrum). Will get some telefunken or siemens also to try.

Pair of UTC A-21's, for the VLA or racking or some other piece of gear that would benefit.

A seriously awesome pair of mastering grade inductor EQ's, custom re-build by "Crystal Industries, Inc." of SAE gear. From masterdisc NY, 70's. Just loving them, exactly what I was looking for in that kind of thing. http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=70956

Got DBX 118 and tascam PE-40 really fully shop fixed/modded and nice, so they might as well be new (or better). They are both very cool for what they do.

Super weird-science genius modified Art TPS II, a Vince Naeve at Audioproz specialty. I think tape op types would go nuts over this thing if they knew what it was. It's now a swiss army knife of either really very pretty and unusual distortion/saturation, crazy level-loc-ish limiter flipout, or subtly warm tube drive. With extra controls added on, like amount of 2nd harmonic. And, it now sounds really good just as a mic pre. Telefunken black plate in there. I may give a more detailed report later. http://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?Article=94&Tab=Services

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 am

Dakota wrote: vintage mullards
i put mullards in my drawmer eq and compressor and they made a world of difference. glowy and roundifying indeed.
Vince Naeve at Audioproz
my favorite vince story....was years ago, i'm in there buying headphones or something, there's a copy of the latest tapeop sitting there, the inside front cover is an ad for the AT3060, with lots of quotes from various reviews of it. vince is in the middle of a monologue (surprise), but pauses when he sees me looking at the ad to say "that mic is a piece of shit. none of those people have any idea what they are talking about."

i didn't mention that i was one of those people.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Dakota wrote: vintage mullards
i put mullards in my drawmer eq and compressor and they made a world of difference. glowy and roundifying indeed.
Vince Naeve at Audioproz
my favorite vince story....was years ago, i'm in there buying headphones or something, there's a copy of the latest tapeop sitting there, the inside front cover is an ad for the AT3060, with lots of quotes from various reviews of it. vince is in the middle of a monologue (surprise), but pauses when he sees me looking at the ad to say "that mic is a piece of shit. none of those people have any idea what they are talking about."

i didn't mention that i was one of those people.
Agreed, loving the mullard glow, thoroughly flatters tracks that need that angle. Have already been swapping the mullards and rca's back and forth a lot for things that do well with each of those two flavors, which makes me want a 2nd VLA II to just leave them that way. Then will come the german tubes...

Re: Vince story, I can so picture that! Great tale, very Vince. Postscript: I was passing through there today, and out of many things he said, one was how great a lot of the AT mic line is, and wondering why it took so long for people to figure it out.

He's a vivid character and some people can accommodate to his wavelength, some not so easily. He does generally terrific repair/noise floor lowering/refurb/mod work though, and the more I'm starting to understand some of the family of mods he does, the more I am impressed. Some of his circuits are quite unusual and if anyone else is doing them, I'm not aware of it. Brought that modded TPS home and it immediately went into mastering work, makes some wonderful "tube detail" harmonic distortion effects, the kinds of things you want out of tape saturation, funky transformers, old limiters, old hardware balanced in the sweet spot between clean and cook. Scott, if you're interested you're welcome to come over and hear it, or I can take it over to your place.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 19, 2010 2:57 pm

i may just take you up on that! where are you at? pm me if you want.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Wed May 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Western burbs. PM'd.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed May 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Axiom M2 speakers. Finally upgrading from my shitty Alesis MK2's...

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Sorry, I haven't been very diligent about reporting my scores... been pretty busy (working for the census--and the day job too)

Fender Strat 1993, total basket case (well, the neck's in one piece, even if it does need a couple tuners)

Ludwig Acrolite snare

Fender Bullet 1982 S-3... string thru body... No pickguard & needs electronics. I cut a pickguard from Lexan and I'm trying various pickups in it. Fender noiseless are too dark. Not sure where I'm gonna go from there.

I'd post pics but photobucket isn't cooperating tonight.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:50 pm

I just now scored a pair of Acoustic Research Performance Series Directional "Balanced" [no, they're not, they're RCA cables for chrissakes] Line Audio Cable.

I got 'em for $2.40 at FreeGeek. Outta the "fancy cables" bin. I didn't even notice they were directional, I just noticed that they were short and seemed thick and reasonably constructed.

So I came here to ask a snarky question. Would you really hook these up in the direction of the arrow on the cable, or would you do it backwards, y'know, just to stick it to the man for foisting this bullshit on the masses?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.