Tom Petty Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat May 22, 2010 6:15 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:I would almost call Keltner 'loose'.
Oh hell yeah. Get a couple'a tequila shots in that old session slut and he just gives. it. up. Hoo-ah.

Sorry, what were we talking about?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat May 22, 2010 11:57 pm

A freind of mine has done several sessions with Keltner and has some really funny stories. He says that Keltner is pretty much just like an old truck driver.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 23, 2010 8:11 am

i watched some of the TP docu again last night, figuring if our esteemed mods are down with stan lynch, i must be missing something. so i was really trying to find something to like about the guy.

sorry guys. i tried, i really did. i got nuthin. i'll give him and shelly yakus and iovine credit for 'the tom petty drum sound', as they obviously put a lot of work into it and it was novel for the time, etc etc, but that snare sounds like someone hitting a half-melted piece of plastic with a dead fish.

and he seems like kind of jerk. at least compared to the rest of the heartbreakers, who all come across as the nicest, most unpretentious guys ever.

that said, ferrone isn't my favorite drummer either. the way he plays 'free fallin' live, all Big Rock and clanging 8th notes on the bell of the ride on the chorus? UNFORGIVABLE. totally ruins that tune. but i like what he does on other stuff...

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Sun May 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Ferrone is actually older than Lynch. Lynch is more a product of the midi era really.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
drumsound wrote:
noeqplease wrote:
mertmo wrote:Ferrone is a killer drummer, no doubt about it. Just too "on" the beat for me.
I like Lynch's swing better. When I play drums, that's how I approach it...

Dangerously behind the beat. 8)
Yeah... I hear you.

But... then why did software like drum replacer come along? And beat detective?

I like both drummers, as they both have their own thing going on.

Trying to compare the two does not do justice to either of them.

Lynch grew up before the advent of MIDI and technology forcing drummers to play very much in time, whereas Ferrone is a studio cat, who was always expected to deliver what the client wanted.

Cheers
Kurt Bisquera and Jim Keltner are also studio cats that can play to a click for weeks at a time and they don't sound stiff.

Drum replacer, beat detective and all that other shit came along because people don't spend time in the fucking practice room!
I worked on one Keltner session. He never played the same thing twice. I also worked on one Kurt Bisquera session and he hits simplistically direct. Same spot on the drum always a little too hard with a basic groove. Keltner has more feel, but I would almost call Keltner 'loose'.
Keltner's looseness is his brilliance1

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 23, 2010 4:06 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i watched some of the TP docu again last night, figuring if our esteemed mods are down with stan lynch, i must be missing something. so i was really trying to find something to like about the guy.

sorry guys. i tried, i really did. i got nuthin. i'll give him and shelly yakus and iovine credit for 'the tom petty drum sound', as they obviously put a lot of work into it and it was novel for the time, etc etc, but that snare sounds like someone hitting a half-melted piece of plastic with a dead fish.

and he seems like kind of jerk. at least compared to the rest of the heartbreakers, who all come across as the nicest, most unpretentious guys ever.

that said, ferrone isn't my favorite drummer either. the way he plays 'free fallin' live, all Big Rock and clanging 8th notes on the bell of the ride on the chorus? UNFORGIVABLE. totally ruins that tune. but i like what he does on other
stuff...
hehehe
I've been making the dead fish comment about Mick Fleetwood for years!

I'm not necessarily into the Stan Lynch sound, but I like the feel and musical choices much better.

On his 'personality', I was always under the impression that the first Petty "solo" record was just so he could make a record without Lynch...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

not too hard to believe...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun May 23, 2010 8:02 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'll give him and shelly yakus and iovine credit for 'the tom petty drum sound', as they obviously put a lot of work into it and it was novel for the time, etc etc, but that snare sounds like someone hitting a half-melted piece of plastic with a dead fish.
Novel for the time? More like 'absolutely stock'. I'd love to hear your drum sounds.

As for the snare, that was 'of-the-era'. If you do your homework, accentuating the bottom snare mic was absolutely essential in that era.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon May 24, 2010 8:47 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Novel for the time? More like 'absolutely stock'.
not according to petty and iovine.
I'd love to hear your drum sounds.
i bet they're better than yours, cupcake.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:15 pm

The intro to "Nightwatchman" and the breakdown on "A Woman in Love" come to mind for me, as far as early Heartbreakers drum parts.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 26, 2010 7:40 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Novel for the time? More like 'absolutely stock'.
not according to petty and iovine.
If we're to judge Jimmy's work by 'Born to Run', then I can understand him handing the controls over to Shelly Yakus for 'Damn the Torpedoes'.

Interesting to see Thom Panunzio and Skip Saylor credited as assistant engineers on that disc.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... qt5ldae~T2

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm

roscoenyc wrote:I know you are a drummer and probably already
thought of this Mr Carges but this is what I'd do.......

I'd sit the drummer down with the Tom Petty song that they wanted to emulate.
Give him a pad and paper and have him make a hash mark
everytime the drummer hit a crash cymbal.

Most likely the ammount of hash marks will be much less than the drummer thought
there would be.

Less cymbal crashes helps my drum sound more than any gear in the world.
Fucking Brilliant.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon May 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Roscoe's suggestion reminds me of Peter Gabriel's fourth album, which they purposefully avoided cymbals on. They even used aerosol cans for hi-hats, if memory serves.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 pm

lysander wrote:Roscoe's suggestion reminds me of Peter Gabriel's fourth album, which they purposefully avoided cymbals on. They even used aerosol cans for hi-hats, if memory serves.
Did they hit them or spray them?

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:34 am

Whoops, actually it was the third album, the one that opens with Intruder. Spraying the cans. Steve Lillywhite produced that record -- he has a radio show on East Village Radio Tuesday afternoons -- you can just call him at the station and ask him questions, or twitter him beforehand.

Sorry for the highjack -- back to the merits of Stan Lynch!