Utility Microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Utility Microphones

Post by cjac9 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:20 am

I need one high-quality condenser and one high-quality ribbon to start assembling my mic' locker for my project studio. I've already got basic stuff like 57s lying around. I don't record drums.

I was thinking Gefell UM70 and AEA R88 Stereo Ribbon Mic. Would these be good utility microphones to have around that could be used on a variety of sources?

Thanks,
chris
Last edited by cjac9 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sun May 30, 2010 7:41 am

Search for the Swiss Army Knife Mic thread, tons of answers there.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 am

thanks, will do!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:11 am

Audio Technica AT4047 and Michael Joly Edition Gomez. Although some people like to use two different types of ribbons (long path and short path) depending on what they are recording, the Gomez is great if your just going to have one ribbon mic.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 am

Telefunken badged U47.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I started the (or one of the recent ones) Swiss Army Mic thread. The two answers that stood out most were the 414 and the AT4050. I got a 4050. No regrets, I use it constantly.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:48 am

if you have the money, i think you would be happier with a UM70 than a 4050. it has a bit more character, puts a bit of zing in there.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 am

eeldip wrote:if you have the money, i think you would be happier with a UM70 than a 4050. it has a bit more character, puts a bit of zing in there.
Agreed. UM70s have a really interesting character. I'm not sure it's one I'd use on a million different things, but definitely has some of that sound that's really hard to imitate without just using the real deal. I like the 4050 because it's really natural sounding without being sterile. Very different purposes. I wouldn't consider either one a "better replacement" for the other, just different kinds of sounds.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:26 am

I think I'm gonna go with the AT4050. It seems alot of people say it doesn't have a lot of character but works on alot of sources. That's what I need now and then I can start adding mics with character.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:10 am

I must admit to not keeping abreast of the developments in "Utitlity" mics.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

jgimbel wrote: I like the 4050 because it's really natural sounding without being sterile. Very different purposes. I wouldn't consider either one a "better replacement" for the other, just different kinds of sounds.
tru dat. but if he's also getting a ribbon mic, that might take care of "natural" stuff.

i think what i would agree with is that if you had ONLY ONE MIC, the 4050 is a great choice. its not going to overwhelm your recordings with flavor when it piles up track after track.

24 tracks of UM70 and you'll be hitting the EQ quite a bit more.

but if i had only two mics in the world, an AEA ribbon and a UM70. well wow. thats a heck of a start of a studio. it took me years before i had anything of that quality. i would use one side of the ribbon mic for probably most of the material, and the UM70 on everything that is supposed to be out front.

throw in a handful of used 57s and maybe one nice dynamic mic and you could record almost anything someone would throw at you without a compromise.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:52 pm

coles 4038 will smoke any AEA.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Yeah I think a ribbon would definitely be a good candidate to serve a lot of the same purposes as a 4050, but I'd still like to (and do) have both. I think it's true that the 4050 wouldn't be considered a character mic, but like I said it doesn't sound sterile. There are a lot of transparent mics, but many of them just sound so sterile. For what it's worth, the music I'm recording is indie/folk/ambient stuff with occasional acoustic, occasional louder rock stuff. So I'm not after the most modern sounds in the world, and therefore a mic that sounds sterile would stick out like an ugly sore thumb. But the 4050 is just right, being natural enough to be something I can put up when I think "it sounds great standing here, I want to pick it up as I'm hearing it", without feeling like it sounds lacking if I don't add some character with a tube preamp or compressor or something.

The comment about a UM70 alone on 24 tracks needing a lot of EQ, spot on, good way of describing it. It's got vibe for days, but while vibe is awesome, vibe stacked on vibe stacked on vibe..gets weird. The 4050 can stack well (as I've found, I've used it on almost every track in a song before) but isn't lifeless alone.

I've never had my hands on an AEA ribbon. I've actually never had my hands on a ribbon more expensive than my Nady RSM-4, which has the unfortunate ringing that makes me rarely use it. But when it's right, it's awesome. I'd LOVE a Royer 121, or a 4038, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify buying one as I'm just a taking-myself-pretty-seriously home recorder/home studio. Good 121 knockoffs seem hard to come by, but it seems like that might be perfect.

Regardless, cjac9, yeah I think the 4050 would be great. It can stack well if it's your only mic, and I think it'll easily hold its place as a natural but not sterile mic once you add more, which is a place not that many mics can occupy.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Just snagged a demo model of the new Cloud R44 copy. AT4050 on the way. Thoughts on useful dynamics. I've got a pair of 57s, an other must haves? Keep in mind, no drum recording. SM7, RE2020, any others?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 am

cjac9 wrote:Just snagged a demo model of the new Cloud R44 copy. AT4050 on the way. Thoughts on useful dynamics. I've got a pair of 57s, an other must haves? Keep in mind, no drum recording. SM7, RE2020, any others?
Which model of cloud mic?

I'd definately recomend picking up an EV re20. They sound fantastic on vocals, acoustic guitars/bass, strings, brass, and even guitar/bass amps. The reduced proximity effect makes them totally rule for close micing without hyping up low frequencies. Also take a look an re15 or re11, pretty versitle little guys too.

SM7 is fantastic as well....but maybe a little less versitile. Rock vocals and guitar/bass amps is where the excell, but still can be used on many sources.

Other candidates: Beyer m88, beyer m201 and Sennheiser md421