3M M-56 analog tape machine 2" - 16 Track

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

scottiedoo
gettin' sounds

3M M-56 analog tape machine 2" - 16 Track

Post by scottiedoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:24 pm

up for sale is a 1969 3M M-56. I got this thing a few years ago with the intent of restoring it to track drums & basic tracks onto before flying the tracks into Pro Tools to edit/mix. I got as far as building a custom made Mogami/Neutrik snake for it, new pinch rollers & a NOS belt then ran out of money. been told the heads are ok... I've never actually recorded anything with it.. it turns on & lights up but when you try to start the transport, it goes for a second then pops the fuse in the power supply.. not sure what the problem is & I can't afford to pay a tech to diagnose it.. so after moving it twice in the last few years.. & given the fact I do mostly mobile recording now days, I really have no use for this beast & would like to see it in the hands of someone who'll get it set up & functioning in a permanent studio setting.. includes the tape machine, remote, custom snake to hook it up to the patchbay, 48 pt. Neutrik patchbay, manual, 2 reels of 2" tape, Han-D-Mag de-magnetizer & an extra take-up reel... $1500 obo.... open to trades of any higher end music/studio/live sound gear.. looking for a mackie onyx 1640 or 1620 (with or without the firewire card) , nice overhead condenser pair, a kick drum mic other than an AKG d112 or Blue Kickball, good power amps, compressors, mic pres, mics, old ludwig drums, just to name a few... I'm seriously open to just about anything.. please don't hesitate to make offers... THANKS!!
pics here: http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/ ... OR%20SALE/

best to reply to: wigginextraheavy@yahoo.com

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm

where are you?
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

yrplace17
alignin' 24-trk

Post by yrplace17 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:24 am

Great machine when working properly. I spent my early days working at a studio with one of those......Hope it finds a good home......

Mark

scottiedoo
gettin' sounds

Post by scottiedoo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 pm

should have mentioned this above... I'm about an hour away from Seattle WA

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doctari » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:17 am

Can someone explain the difference between the m56 and m79 machine?

Crazy Joe Tritschler
audio school

Post by Crazy Joe Tritschler » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:54 am

If I'm not mistaken:

M56 - all-discrete signal path, mechanical switches for input/sync/repro, pre-24-track (ca. 1968), first multitrack with meter bridge overhead and plug-in cards below for all circuitry (as opposed to a separate chassis for each channel like the truly ridiculous Ampex MM-1000), separate cards for record, play, bias, etc.

M79 - IC+discrete signal path, logic switching for input/sync/repro, first 24-track on market (ca. 1972), one giant signal card per channel, generally better ergonomics and workflow than M56 but possibly less reliable, although with a fresh recap and general maintenance 3M decks are all pretty reliable despite some reports.

Lotsa info on Dale Manquen's website (he did much of the M56 design work when he was still in his 20's)

http://www.manquen.net/audio/index.php?page=9

tekis
alignin' 24-trk

Ode to the M56...

Post by tekis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 am

...best A to D I ever heard AND it converts to 1" 8-track in about 5 minutes simply by turning the tape guides 180 degrees to their one-inch side, yet still uses the same headstack--just bottom half. Brilliant machine.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Ode to the M56...

Post by drumsound » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 pm

tekis wrote:...best A to D I ever heard AND it converts to 1" 8-track in about 5 minutes simply by turning the tape guides 180 degrees to their one-inch side, yet still uses the same headstack--just bottom half. Brilliant machine.
That's so cool, I never knew that about the M56.

Crazy Joe Tritschler
audio school

Post by Crazy Joe Tritschler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 am

Beware of uneven h**dwear doing that...but undeniably cool.