Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Alright, alright - love you guys
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Gang of Four - Peel Session Album. Recorded live in the studio for BBC Radio.

One of my favorite albums period. Never fails to amaze every time you listen to it. Insane grooves/intensity/rhythm.

you can read about it here
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Almost any Peel sessions that get released are worth a listen. I find the PJ Harvey one to be a mixed bag, but some great moments. I've been meaning to get the Hot Snakes Peel Sessions. I've heard the Belle and Sebastian radio stuff came out really great.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:55 pm

The Peel sessions stuff is great. But that changes the dynamic....live playing in the studio is a bit easier to pull off than live before and audience IMO. I think many of the pre-daw stuff had alot of live recording done with baffles and seperation rooms. There was always alot more bleed and more one take recordings. I love recording that way with a DAW too, you can get such inspired results and the band has great chemistry(usually). Granted they have to be good and keep the rhythm via click or what not to help the overdub process. Still it's fun and challanging. I know John Frusciante does alot of recrding in that vien to tape.

That being said...Whitest Boy Alive's "Dreams" was recorded live in the studio with one take songs and sounds fantastic. The guitar tone is really nice and the reverb sounds great. Mice Parade's "Ramda" was also recorded the same way....but it was just one guy over dubbing but all in one takes....so thats a bit different too.

Anyhow I think my favorite actual "Live" record is Miles Davis "Live at the FIllmore." It's Bitches Brew era tunes totally funked and psyched out. The playing of that record is stellar and I love how they manage to feature the different instruments without competing. Says alot about the players understanding the dynamic of live performance.

Eggmann
audio school graduate

Post by Eggmann » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Er, HELLO...What about Grand Funk Live Album....That's right...I said it..Grand Freakin' Funk.....

Haven't listened to it in 35 years but it was some of the first stuff I ever tried to play in my first band. When I learned the riff to "Inside Lookin' Out" I knew I had found my life's direction.

....Wanders off to dig out 8 track from basement.....maybe look for Lite Brite as well while I'm down there....

monomedia
audio school graduate

Post by monomedia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 pm

....Wanders off to dig out 8 track from basement.....maybe look for Lite Brite as well while I'm down there....
Let me know if you find my Stratego game and Three Dog Night Live at the Forum 8-Track while you're down there!

Jon
"My music is best understood by small children and animals"

Igor Stravinsky

www.myspace.com/jonshuman

www.myspace.com/massacreguysslc

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:18 pm

+1 Zappa records; "Fillmore East" and "...Band from LA" are awesome.

+1 Beatles rooftop concert

Most of the live Nina Simone stuff is great; ditto James Brown (though I think that has more to do with performance than actual sound)

Neil Young "Time Fades Away"

Nirvana "Unplugged"

Any of the Pearl Jam-circa Jack Irons (Vitalogy/No Code/Yield) stuff is great, like "Checkpoint Charlie".
Alex C. McKenzie

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 am

Re that Peel stuff, and I agree that all I have heard is good, (Chameleons UK is awesome), I believe a lot was tracked live in the studio, but overdubs were sometimes also done.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:32 pm

I am such a cynic, but i have always thought that Frampton Comes Alive and Cheap Trick at Budakon were studio albums with fake crowd noise faded in and out. They sure sound like that to me still. The crowd on those records seems so manipulated :screaming teenage girls with perfect reverb and balance. The band has no PA noise, perfect EQ, "hall" reverb that's sounds so different than the venues/stadiums they were playing in......... Hmmm.
0x

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:53 pm

i really like Rocket from the Tombs - "The Day the Earth Met the...". really insane raw sound (a far cry from Frampton Comes Alive or whatever) that actually makes the record cooler, instead of being annoying. i like hearing these crazier early versions of songs that later became more mellow when recorded in the studio by Pere Ubu

uncle bastard
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by uncle bastard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 am

Rocket From The Crypt- RIP. The DVD covers the whole gig and captures the frantic sweaty energy perfectly. A blisteringly good live band.
"Dude, whatdya think of this?" (Smacks guitar with a rubber chicken)"

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Re: best live

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 am

supafuzz wrote:Trouble Funk "saturday night live in dc" [the ultimate go-go record]
Truth. I used to go see them at the DC Armory back in the day, an unstoppable force.

"Big World" by Joe Jackson is a great live recording, kudos to Michael Frondelli for amazing engineering on that record. Cut live in a theatre but with instructions to the crowd to STFU until after each take.

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doctari » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 pm

I'll second Europe '72 even with vocal and organ overdubs, the playing and the sound of real electric guitars and amps,though modified sound great. Most powerful elecric instrument sounds from the Dead. Also Vintage DEad from '66 because the energy and atmosphere capture a slice of what must have been a freewheelin few minutes.
Bless Its Pointed Little head, high energy playing and singing. Jack's bass on " The other side of this life",may be the most intense recorded rock bass perfomance.